mtbr member

... and if we just ... New (to me) 2010 Sortie Black Custom Review

I just built a 2010 Sortie Frame (an EBAY special) using parts that I took from my 2008 Mission Custom (sold the frame)

Why did I do this? I wanted a bike that climbed a little better and felt that I really never used the full 6 inches of suspension - I felt that I was lugging it up long climbs for nothing. The Sortie presented itself and jumped. The Mission frame practically sold itself!

Build specs (same on '08 Mission and '10 Sortie):
    Magura Thor AM 140mm fork, 20mm T/A
    XT shifters
    XTR Real Der
    SRAM X7/xtr/sram drivetrain
    Hayes HFX-9 Carbon brakes, 7" rotors
    819/DT340 rear
    819/hope 2 20mm front
    Easton Monkey Lite CNT bars
    Truvativ AKA stem 90mm
    Thomson Elite Post (Mission had original Easton EA50)
    WTB Silverado Seat
    Maxxis/Kenda 2.35 tires

The other main difference is the Sortie has the newer Fox RP23 XV/Boost shock vs the 2008 RP23 on the Mission.

The Mission was right at 31 pounds for this build and I can say that the Sortie is a few pounds lighter (will weigh later). I guess about 2 pounds

The ride ......

Most rides in the Colorado Front Range start with a climb, so my choice of trails, Hall Ranch in Lyons CO, should have been a good test ride. Right out of the car, I immediately noticed the weight difference and, probably more so these things:
    -no real need to lower the travel on the fork, the steeper geometry took care of the climbing woes on the mission.
    -No real need to engage Propedal. I credit the shock evolution for this, though not sure what the deal is with this yet.

The Sortie kicks the snot out of my Mission in terms of climbing - I can say this even with out finding the sweet spot for suspension settings.

On rough, rocky terrain, the lower BB height of the Sortie was obvious because I hit the pedals a bit more, but with a bigger-than-spec Fork, the BB was really only <1/2" lower than the Mission - a price I am willing to pay. Being a numbers geek, I crunched the geometry numbers vs fork travel and came up with a HTA of <69.5 on the Sortie with a 140mm fork - right where I want to be.

The Sortie steers faster, as expected, and I really enjoyed the low speed maneuvering capabilities in rough terrain. This was also one of my goals vs the Mission.

Downhill - Here's the other side of the coin.... the Mission crushed ever DH I ever threw at it and was totally unflappable. I knew I'd be giving up some of this... I learned this the hard (and painful) way today by stuffing the fork while dropping off a big rock and went OTB.

Not once, but twice in 5 minutes in a really unforgiving rock garden - oh, well, that's mountain biking I guess

This isn't a fault of the Sortie. I just forgot to realize that I was not riding a 68 degree HTA, long wheelbase bike today. I just need to re-learn a few things Like how to get my a$$ off the back of the seat and get my weight located properly. I also need to figure out the shock/fork pressures.

Unfortunately, I whacked my rear derailleur hard enough to bend the hanger (new one ordered). I fixed this on the trail and proceeded, perhaps slower and more tentatively than I would have with out scrapped and dings, back to the car.

As I type, I can feel the 3 Advil kicking in...

More to come. Over all I am please with the switch.

Now, how to get a Mission with a 160mm fork to add to the quiver......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) 2010 Sortie Black Custom Review-img_0452-smaller.jpg  

New (to me) 2010 Sortie Black Custom Review-img_0451-smaller.jpg  

New (to me) 2010 Sortie Black Custom Review-p1010187_sm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Very nice! Nice to see another Sortie Black in Colorado; I am in Castle Rock. I get so many WTF looks as people try to figure out what I am riding. I love it! Have fun with your new bike.

cycle dad
    Super nice. My mission with a 160 is blast, but it hurts on the climbs. I dial it down to 115 and bottom out a lot more. Climbs are bearable around 130. I'd love a sortie for comparison, especially with a magura like that. Sweet ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    With the forked locked on the mission an propedal engaged vs the sortie it would be who has the strongest legs race. I know it's a new bike to you and all but there no way it climbs better then. The mission.
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

cycle dad
    With your fork locked out climbing sucks on anything but smooth turf. It always comes down leg strength in the end, but the sortie is built to climb. It weighs less and has the geometry for it.

Before my up grades my mission climbed better, but the sortie is still going to be best.

mtbr member

Sortie DOES climb better

It just does. no way to avoid that.The Sortie at full fork travel and NO Propedal in back climbs better than my Mission with the fork at 100mm and a ProPedal on.

I have ridden this trail on the Mission countless times and the bikes are IDENTICAL save the frame. I have the same legs as I did when I had the Mission.

Same fork, same cockpit, same drivetrain, same wheels/tires.

My Mission was right at 32 pounds. My Sortie with the same parts is 29.82lbs on the hanging bike scale. So, weight accounts for some of it, but the fact that I did not need to use any fancy travel adjustment or shock lock out is telling.....

Singletrack Slayer
    Agreed, I ride my Mission and Sortie on the same trails and of course a XC like the Sortie, with a steeper geo will climb better, BUT the Mission is a great climber for a long travel bike. I run a 140mm on the front of my Sortie and it still climbs really well. Glad to see you liking the Sortie, It is still my favortie DO ALL bike.
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~