mtbr member
    Oct 2013

New FS Bike Purchase Help!

Seeing as how I can use the DB Corporate discount plus 5% right now, Im looking to upgrade my Hardtail Airborne Guardian 2.0 to a a Full Suspension.

I see the Mission Pro is $2000 after discounts, but hear the frame/suspension are outdated.

This has me leaning toward the Release 1 (but it's sold out and may not come back in stock; though I can get it for about $1750 from another online seller).

Or the Release 4c

The only issue im running into is the low rear travel of 130mm on the Release bikes, but alas Im also in central texas so that should be sufficient.

Is the Pro really that outdated or is it the best price/performance?

Should I jump on the Release 1 deal for $1750 or the 4c for $2500?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gedemer View Post
    Seeing as how I can use the DB Corporate discount plus 5% right now, Im looking to upgrade my Hardtail Airborne Guardian 2.0 to a a Full Suspension.

I see the Mission Pro is $2000 after discounts, but hear the frame/suspension are outdated.

This has me leaning toward the Release 1 (but it's sold out and may not come back in stock; though I can get it for about $1750 from another online seller).

Or the Release 4c

The only issue im running into is the low rear travel of 130mm on the Release bikes, but alas Im also in central texas so that should be sufficient.

Is the Pro really that outdated or is it the best price/performance?

Should I jump on the Release 1 deal for $1750 or the 4c for $2500?

Thanks
    I'm struggling with the implied "problem" with the dated frame. Just because the design is a few years old doesn't make it useless. The level of the components is top notch and I'm still considering getting it for that price.
    2017 Diamondback Mason Pro
    2017 Salsa Bucksaw Carbon
    2016 Pivot Mach 6 Carbon
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet

mtbr member
    Questions about the Missionís geometry aside- what kind of terrain and riding do you have in central TX? The Mission has a lot of travel, and is heavy- good when pointing downhill, but definitely more work to pedal than either Release.

If your riding is mostly flat, or has substantial amounts of pedaling, I think a Release is a better choice.

No doubt the component group on the Mission is top-notch, though.

For whatever itís worth, if you can swing the extra $, Iíd go with the 4C out of your 3 choices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DB Release 3
    Kona Rove ST + Burley D'Lite

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DETarch View Post
    Questions about the Missionís geometry aside- what kind of terrain and riding do you have in central TX? The Mission has a lot of travel, and is heavy- good when pointing downhill, but definitely more work to pedal than either Release.

If your riding is mostly flat, or has substantial amounts of pedaling, I think a Release is a better choice.

No doubt the component group on the Mission is top-notch, though.

For whatever itís worth, if you can swing the extra $, Iíd go with the 4C out of your 3 choices!

What about the Release 3 vs Release 4c?

Here are a couple of videos of what we have on a max tech level here in Central Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=sZphUr7mVa8

&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mBbJHMjNsY

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    I'm struggling with the implied "problem" with the dated frame. Just because the design is a few years old doesn't make it useless. The level of the components is top notch and I'm still considering getting it for that price.
    I have no issues with it, I just see alot of posts with people saying the geometry is super outdated and not that great; thhough maybe they are just he vocal minority.

mtbr member
    What about the Release 3 vs Release 4c?

Here are a couple of videos of what we have on a max tech level here in Central Texas.
    Cool trails- looks like lots of punchy, short, rocky climbs. Just my opinion, but I think the Release would be way better suited to those style trails. I ride similarly chunky and rocky terrain (plus some bigger stuff when I get out of town and into the mountains), and Iíve never felt that 130mm rear travel is insufficient.

Tough call between 3 and 4C. Components are similar, although I think the 3 has the edge in suspension and drivetrain. Just have to decide if the carbon frame is worth $500ish more. Canít go wrong with either if you ask me.

DB Release 3

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DETarch View Post
    Cool trails- looks like lots of punchy, short, rocky climbs. Just my opinion, but I think the Release would be way better suited to those style trails. I ride similarly chunky and rocky terrain (plus some bigger stuff when I get out of town and into the mountains), and Iíve never felt that 130mm rear travel is insufficient.

Tough call between 3 and 4C. Components are similar, although I think the 3 has the edge in suspension and drivetrain. Just have to decide if the carbon frame is worth $500ish more. Canít go wrong with either if you ask me.

If the Carbon frame was alot lighter...it would be a no-brainer for me.

But with how it's about less than 1lb difference it's hard to justify it I guess.

mtbr member
    If the Carbon frame was alot lighter...it would be a no-brainer for me.

But with how it's about less than 1lb difference it's hard to justify it I guess.
    Thatís why I bought the 3

DB Release 3

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    The release would be great in central Texas. I lived in San Antonio and Harker Heights (outside Killeen) and the suspension on the release is well suited for those trails. I recently bought the 4C and was torn between the 3 and the 4C. The components on the 3 are definitely better but the 4 has the latest in Fox technology. Either bike would be great. My tubeless 4C weighs in at 30 lbs even without pedals, large frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyRosa View Post
    The release would be great in central Texas. I lived in San Antonio and Harker Heights (outside Killeen) and the suspension on the release is well suited for those trails. I recently bought the 4C and was torn between the 3 and the 4C. The components on the 3 are definitely better but the 4 has the latest in Fox technology. Either bike would be great. My tubeless 4C weighs in at 30 lbs even without pedals, large frame.
    Yea, makes sense. Have you seen the FreeRide512's bike trails/park with drops and jumps or Emma Longs drops?

Curious about how a release would handle those; I also see that the front fork is nicer on the 3 vs 4c but not sure what reviews to trully believe or take with a grain of salt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCq1KD5sqwo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA2HOscVY1o

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    The frame and suspension should handle an average bike park without any problems. Those drops and jumps should not be a problem (for me they would be because I can't jump much) Now, a crash is a different story. Not sure carbon would do well in a bad crash.

The fork and rear shock on the 3 are RockShox's top of the line. I think the Pike is more like the Fox 36. With that said, the Fox 34 is no slouch.

Even though I opted for the 4C, if I were to ride those places regularly, I would have bought the 3. The aluminum frame is going to handle a crash better and the components on the 3 are better.

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyRosa View Post
    The fork and rear shock on the 3 are RockShox's top of the line. I think the Pike is more like the Fox 36. With that said, the Fox 34 is no slouch.
    Pike is more similar too Fox 34, the Lyrik is more like the Fox 36.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Similar components between the Release 3 and 4c?!?!? I wouldn't agree at all with that statement. EVERY component on the R3 is at least one echelon better than on the 4c.

Personally, unless you want the stigma of owning a carbon bike I think the R3 is a MUCH better deal. 1. it's $300+ cheaper. 2. The components are noticeably (in my opinion) better.

To those comparing the forks, make sure you aren't comparing just the stanchion diameters. The Fox on the 4c is their base damper. The Pike on the R3 is an RCT3, which means individual high and low speed compression adjustment. If you appreciate suspension tuning this is a significant difference!

ac

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
    Similar components between the Release 3 and 4c?!?!? I wouldn't agree at all with that statement. EVERY component on the R3 is at least one echelon better than on the 4c.

Personally, unless you want the stigma of owning a carbon bike I think the R3 is a MUCH better deal. 1. it's $300+ cheaper. 2. The components are noticeably (in my opinion) better.

To those comparing the forks, make sure you aren't comparing just the stanchion diameters. The Fox on the 4c is their base damper. The Pike on the R3 is an RCT3, which means individual high and low speed compression adjustment. If you appreciate suspension tuning this is a significant difference!

ac
    I was speaking specifically about chassis strength and torsion, the 36/lyrik are much more robust chassis than the pike/34.

Last edited by Guy.Ford; 04-01-2018 at 07:32 PM.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    I was speaking specifically about chassis strength and torsion, the 36/lyrik are much for robust chassis than the pike/34.

Yeah...also a fair bit heavier too believe. My Pike seems plenty stiff for 150 travel. Especially paired to 130 out back.

The 4c only comes with a 34 Fox. It's the 5c that gets the 36 and the better damper to boot!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk