mtbr member
    Mar 2011

New Diamondback Response Sport...new to met at least

Just picked up my 06 Diamondback Response Sport yesterday, great CL find at least I believe. Bike is in great condition, only one scratch! There is one issue though, the seller obviously didn't tell me this but the Handlebars wont stay tight? I can hold the tire still in between my legs and can spin the handlebars around. Do I need a new fork or is this a stripped bolt or something? Im really new to mountain bike maintenance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Theres 3 bolts holding your bars/stem/fork in place. The one on top that sits vertically inside the round cap on top of your stem, plus the two horizontal bolts on the stem. The vertical one keep your forks tight basically (preload) - you want this one tight enough that there is no slop in the forks when you pick up on the bars, but not too tight that there is resistance when you turn. Get that dialed in/bars straight, then you can crank down on the other two, horizontal bolts on your stem and it should be good to go. If not, you should probably have a shop check it out, unless something is obviously stripped, then you would know what to replace.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I tried to bolt down the top bolt but it wont get tight, it starts to get tight and gets loose again like its stripped. Does this mean I need a new fork?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sounds like it, but you need to loosen the other two bolts before tightening the top one.....try that first. You could probably put a nut on the backside, or retap the hole in the fork tube and just run a bigger bolt if it is stripped....

That top one doesnt need to be extremely tight, just enough to keep slop out of the fork.......

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If the star nut inside the steerer tube is stripped, you should be able to hammer it out the other end and replace it. This may be a job for your LBS.

mtbr member
    great lookin bike man. Ive beatin the hell out of my response for the last 2 years and have had zero issues.

Singletrack Slayer
    Sounds like a loose headset, loosen the two pinch bolts on the stem and tight the top compression cap/bolt, it should snug up and if it's stripped out, you will need a new star fangeled nut too. Don't over tighten this as it is your headset bearing adjust ment, tight enough there is now play, but smooth action back and forth. then tighten the stem bolts...
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~