Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

New Diamondback Hook

Hey guys, I just got my Diamondback Hook in the mail today and thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for it since there is currently none. Wont be able too hit the trails until the weekend probably. Nursing school life. Anybody have ideas for upgrades?
    Oh and I'm new here aw well lol.
    New Diamondback Hook-img_0308.jpgNew Diamondback Hook-img_0310.jpgNew Diamondback Hook-img_0311.jpg
    Last edited by brandonmcnasty; 02-19-2015 at 12:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Hey Mcnasty! Welcome. The hook looks like a killer ride. I don't know your riding experience, but ride what ya got and upgrade as things wear. My first replacement would be the 8spd cassette.....you could upgrade to a good 9spd and get a lower gear. Of course, the rear der and shifter would have to be upgraded as well, but they can be found relatively inexpensive if you shop around. The cable actuated brakes would be next. Def. get some shimano hydros........best brakes I have ever used. Other than that , the fork. I bet it's a boat anchor! Anyway, that's my .02!
    I love 'Murica!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Wow finally somebody else that has a Hook lol. havent gotten mine out yet. Weather permitting this weekend tho and that will change.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That hook looks great. I would love to get a ride report from you. I'm probably going to pick up the Sync'r in a few weeks, but I haven't been able to find any information online about how they handle on the trails. DB should really get to work trying to promote these bikes, so people can actually see what they have to offer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hey guys, I picked up a DB Line two weeks ago. Haven't had a chance to take it to any trails, but I took it downtown for a 'Last Friday Ride', and it's nice and snappy. Very responsive and confident when doing some techy street riding. The only thing I'm upgrading now are the pedals, other than that I'm fairly satisfied with the component setup. When the weather clears up, I'll hit some trails and post an update. Stay slack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jsteil View Post
    Hey guys, I picked up a DB Line two weeks ago. Haven't had a chance to take it to any trails, but I took it downtown for a 'Last Friday Ride', and it's nice and snappy. Very responsive and confident when doing some techy street riding. The only thing I'm upgrading now are the pedals, other than that I'm fairly satisfied with the component setup. When the weather clears up, I'll hit some trails and post an update. Stay slack.
    Great to hear. Looking forward to reading a review!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    How easy/difficult was assembly out of the box? Thanks.

mtbr member
    You'll have to install the wheels, seat post, turn around the stem, assemble the handlebars. Adjust the brake calipers to the disc and make sure everything is assembled and aligned correctly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Found this topic and decided to register on this site cause I just got the Hook a couple weeks ago as my first mountain bike.

New Diamondback Hook-db-hook.jpg

Beautiful bike and easy to ride. I did ride a beginner's trail last weekend and I sure as hell had a tough time climbing the steep hills. I know it's not the bike's fault since I am a newbie aka out of shape biker and don't know how to the shift gears properly! lol

Overall I enjoy riding the bike as it was very responsive, brakes worked well going downhill and lastly I didn't crash on my first ride!

I plan on upgrading the stock pedals to those Shimano Saint pedals!

What does everyone think about the 8 speed SRAM? Decent enough?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Keep the opinions and reviews coming. I have to wait until December to buy this bike and i couldn't be more excited everytime i see a new post about the Hook, omg.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hey guys here's my review of the db hook, love my new bike
    https://youtu.be/lYszcCYKJkI

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hey Guys,
    I wanted to weigh in with my opinion of the DB Hook...
    I'm a 41 year old rider (BMX background) who is getting back in to the sport after giving it up for riding dirt bikes (with motors), coming from a Specialized Stump Jumper from the mid 90s. (you get the picture) The geometry of the bike and the frame construction is what I liked the most. I wanted a hardtail to hit small jumps, stairs, bike paths, mountain bike trails, and even the gravity park at the local ski hill with my son. This bike is a solid buy for the money, although the fork is super entry model. I do want to eventually upgrade the fork, pedals, and get hyd brakes. This is a really fun bike, not only for beginners. It also lets me surprise vet/core riders on the down hill trails when i stay on their tail with my $600 hardtail bike. Don't underestimate the skill of the rider and think a $5000 bike will make you a pro. Save your money and buy a dirt bike (with a motor) too. No matter what, just have fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    By the way, the chain guide comes with it right?
    I ask because i've seen some Hooks without it, so i don't know if it comes with the bike or if you have to buy it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Deartist7 View Post
    By the way, the chain guide comes with it right?
    I ask because i've seen some Hooks without it, so i don't know if it comes with the bike or if you have to buy it.
    The hook and line come with chain guides because they don't have a clutch rear mech and need it while the syncr has a clutch rear mech so its not needed

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by blob426 View Post
    The hook and line come with chain guides because they don't have a clutch rear mech and need it while the syncr has a clutch rear mech so its not needed
    The Sync'r also has a narrow wide chainring right? I guess that helps preventing chain drops too.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    yeah, it comes with a NW chain ring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hey Guys,
    It's been 5 months since I first rode my DB Line and my first post... I broke my arm in two places the first time I took it to the trails... It was that much fun! I've probably put 400ish miles on the bike since my arm healed, and I've had a blast! I did put a 70mm stem, fire eye pedals, and diety lock-ons on it. Now I feel "connected" and "in the cockpit" not on top of it (I hope that makes sense). I'm goin to throw on a Fox DOSS and a new wheelset asap, and then do brakes and such when I get a chance. The the brakes are ok, mine seem to have different stroke pulls, but i think thats due to the arm recovery, but it didn't take long to adapt to the feel of them. I haven't decided on the fork setup yet, but I like the X-Fusion Sweep. I've used their stuff before and think their price point is good ($350 on jensonusa). Anyways, I'll post updates as the build goes along. This bike will stay in the arsenal for years to come!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just got mine. Beautiful bike.
    New Diamondback Hook-20150928_160733.jpgNew Diamondback Hook-20150928_160747.jpgNew Diamondback Hook-img-20150927-wa0009.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I too, just got my Hook. New to mountain biking as well, but I spent 12 years riding bmx. So far love the bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by blob426 View Post
    Thanks for this explanation! I have gotten a 24 inch version of the Sync'r and, indeed, the chain guide was not included, which - I thought - was strange since the pics on the Diamondback website show it. Well, the little ripper came with SRAM X7 Type 2 so both clutch and cage lock are on it. Paired with the narrow wide chain ring so I guess no need for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Diamondback Hook 2015
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Diamondback Hook-diamondback-2.jpg  

New Diamondback Hook-diamondback-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    I helped my riding buddy pick up a 2016 hook. He rides a fast as possible while doing his best to keep the wheels off the ground as much as possible. The hook has served him well. I'm really impressed with this line that DB built. The geometry on the hook isn't something you find on a $600 bike. So far I have upgraded the grips to Egron GA1s, front rotor to a Avid HS1 180mm, rear rotor to a Avid HS1 160mm, brake levers to Avid FR7s, and the chainring to a Race Face 32t NW. I pulled that chain guide off and chain retention has been fine without a clutch derailleur. The next planned upgrade is the fork. We plan on using Suntour's upgrade program to swap for a air shock.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Xethur View Post
    I helped my riding buddy pick up a 2016 hook. He rides a fast as possible while doing his best to keep the wheels off the ground as much as possible. The hook has served him well. I'm really impressed with this line that DB built. The geometry on the hook isn't something you find on a $600 bike. So far I have upgraded the grips to Egron GA1s, front rotor to a Avid HS1 180mm, rear rotor to a Avid HS1 160mm, brake levers to Avid FR7s, and the chainring to a Race Face 32t NW. I pulled that chain guide off and chain retention has been fine without a clutch derailleur. The next planned upgrade is the fork. We plan on using Suntour's upgrade program to swap for a air shock.
    The thing shreds real good!.

If you want something a little bit fancier, possibly stiffer and better overall, check the X Fusion Streat RL2. There is a version for 1 1/8 steerers and 9mm QR. It's up for $410 on Amazon. There's also a version with 15mm thru axle, if you plan to upgrade wheels later. It was at $341 on November 2015, don't know why, but it might go down again.

I'm aiming to that fork for my Hook, but I plan to upgrade other things first, so it'll have to wait. So far, I only got new pedals, and ordered a narrow wide chainring for it.

mtbr member
    May 2016

DB Hook

I picked up a new DB Hook and got it together last night. My first hardtail in years so I'm pretty excited and I got this for a great deal. From the reviews, it seems like it's tough to do much better at this price point. I've noted upgrades that users have made (Forks, Brakes etc) and will probably go down that route sometime after breaking it in but here she is. Any more notable changes you've made on your hooks? It's an XL size. It's going to look massive on the back of my hatchback!
    New Diamondback Hook-db-hook2.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

massive chain drops

prepair to replace tbe drive train. massive chai drops, my buddy had his shain drop 8 times in 2 hours. the bike has a very bad chInline. your going to need to overhaul the entire drivetrain to stop the drops

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast