Thread: NEW BIKE Q's

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

NEW BIKE Q's

Ok I currently ride a cake 3 dlx and beings it is a little older bike and the shock is needing rebuilt or replaced and i kind of want a new bike i do mostly xc with a few trips to colorado a yr and do a little bit of everything out there would i be better off with a sortie 3 or a mission 2? Thanks for any input you guys can give I appreciate it I also am wanting to build a 29er ss so that will fill a certain gap too but how do you guys feel the difference between the sortie and the mission stack up ran across a good deal on either of those two bikes and wondering what you think is the better of the 2. I also could get a new 09 specialized fsr xc for 1500. Thanks for any input again

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    oh and what is DB warranty on there frames and such

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I own the 2011 Mission 2 and have no experience on the Sortie, so I can not tell you the specifics on the differences between the two. However, I have ridden the Response Comp (DB's All Mountain hardtail... burly XC frame if you ask me) and I can tell you for riding mostly single track in my area (heavy XC/all mountain) with a little bit of Super D and Mini DH courses involved, the Mission takes everything. Not a bad climber either for being 6" travel when you engage the propedal. Even without the propedal, it climbs well, but you will feel a difference. I hold a lot of confidence in my bike to do pretty much everything I through at it just short of full on freeride and DH. I'm not saying it can't handle those disciplines of riding to a certain extent, I just choose not to ride mine that way for the time being. Maybe once I get a fork with thicker stanchions I'll give it a go and love it. But for now, the bike rides fast. I keep up with a lot of the XC racers in the area, and I bomb past them on the gravity fed sections of trail. For the smooth mini DH runs and Super D that I've ridden, the bike is super stable.

So all-in-all, if you're going to build a SS 29r anyway, my vote goes to the mission due to it's well rounded platform. You won't be disappointed!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    well i just scored a sweet deal on a gf rig ss i know its not rigid but should be a fun ss probably build to a 1x9 so now sortie or mission the mission just sounds like a sick bike but the sortie sounds good too i like to hit stuff around town how big of drops and stuff will the sortie handle fairly well?

Singletrack Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter04 View Post
    well i just scored a sweet deal on a gf rig ss i know its not rigid but should be a fun ss probably build to a 1x9 so now sortie or mission the mission just sounds like a sick bike but the sortie sounds good too i like to hit stuff around town how big of drops and stuff will the sortie handle fairly well?
    Sounds like the Mission is for you, I would not go urban riding on the Sortie IMO
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    whats diamond backs warranty