mtbr member
    Jul 2011

New 2011 Recoil Comp Shock not holding air?

Just got a brand new in box RC. I put it together fine and was going to take it to the LBS for a full service and get my suspension set-up to make sure everything is fine. I haven't been able to get to them, it'll have to wait until Monday. This is my first full suspension bike and I'm not entirely sure on everything.

Everything on the bike works fine and I'd thought I would try to pump my shock and at least get it close to proper setup. I thought the pressure was super low from sitting in a box for two years, but I've come to find out the rear shock isn't holding any air at all (at least it seems like it). I pump it up alittle, sit on the bike and it bottoms out. Check the pressure and it will be a really low reading like 7 psi.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm using a regular schrader valve bike pump. There is back pressure when I pump, but it's very hard to pump. I checked the pressure and the highest I got was only 20psi. From experience pumping tires, hard pumping with low pressure usually means the pump-valve seal isn't great and to adjust the pump on the valve for a better seal. But everything fits seemingly perfect.

I'm guessing that I'm not even able to pump enough pressure for the seals in the shock to hold. Do I need one of those special shock pumps?

Going to try and take my bike in Monday, but I'd like to try and work it out before then.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    you need a shock pump. A tube pump is not going to give you the pressure needed but it should still hold even the low amount of pressure that is being applied.
    2013 DB Overdrive sport 29r
    2001 DB XSL Race=Garage queen
    2003 DBR XTS Moto=sold
    1998 DBR Vlink 3.2=sold

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ok, thanks. Wish I didn't stray off buying one earlier. I'm gonna take it to the shop tomorrow, they should be able to help me out.