mtbr member
    May 2010

need new bb and single crank....help

im wanting to upgrade the bb and replace the crank to a single with bash...maybe between 22-32t...also on the cheap but reliable.

my bike is a 2008 mission

Singletrack Slayer
    Go with the Truvativ Stylo SS Crankset, comes with BB and 32t guide ring and bash, Under 200 and you got a good start, I would either go with a Chain guide like E13 LG1 like I got, it can mount to the BB shell! or something simlple like the double bash guard. I have done that and it work really well. You will want to get a short cage der. Go for a X9 IMO. X7 if you are strapped for $
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    I am actually looking into the same thing for my 08 mission. I checked out the Stylo at my LBS for $175 and it seemed nice but I think for around the same price I could get an SLX crankset online. I'm sure the SLX is the better choice but is there that much of a difference between the two?

One other question, is the short cage derailleur necessary? I still have the LX on mine and I'm running it with a blackspire stinger chainguide.

Singletrack Slayer
    The Stylo is a 1x or SS crank, cleaner and I don't like Shimano Cranks all that much. Maybe XT over the Stylo but no way would I get a SLX for SS or 1x applications, IMO and u can get a Ceramic BB too. I would go with the E13 Crankset which I have and it is lighter and stiff! Little more but a nice addition.

Short cage for one ring up front, Much cleaner shifting and less chain slap etc

mtbr member
    I think I might go with the Stylo then... I have never really measured the BB shell width on my Mission, do you know if it's 68 mm? I'm just unsure if I will need the spacers and how my chainline will be off with the blackspire stinger on it.

Let the good times roll.
    The '08 Mission has a 68mm BB.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles View Post
    The Stylo is a 1x or SS crank, cleaner and I don't like Shimano Cranks all that much. Maybe XT over the Stylo but no way would I get a SLX for SS or 1x applications, IMO and u can get a Ceramic BB too. I would go with the E13 Crankset which I have and it is lighter and stiff! Little more but a nice addition.

Short cage for one ring up front, Much cleaner shifting and less chain slap etc
    What don't you like about Shimano cranks? Most of my riding buddies prefer SLX 2x9 cranks over anything else for the best balance of weight/price/performance. I'm not arguing with you. Just curious since I'm planning to switch my SLX cranks to 1x10 soon.

I have heard great things about the E13 cranks. That's probably what I would get if I wanted to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response . I'm torn on the Stylo or the SLX still. Jenson USA has the SLX 3 ring w/ BB for $129 and I have a bash guard I can throw onto it.

I really want to run 1x9 if I grab the SLX, is it as simple as just removing the granny gear from the crankset?

Singletrack Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by haywoodjublomi View Post
    I think I might go with the Stylo then... I have never really measured the BB shell width on my Mission, do you know if it's 68 mm? I'm just unsure if I will need the spacers and how my chainline will be off with the blackspire stinger on it.
    68mm shell on 08 Mission, so it's easy to add the stinger or other BB mounted chain guide! Any external BB will fit 68 or 73 shells. I just like SRAM better. Customer service is really good

Let the good times roll.
    True, SRAM does have great CS.

I really want to run 1x9 if I grab the SLX, is it as simple as just removing the granny gear from the crankset?
    I hope so. That's what I'm planning to do. Of course, you'll need some kind of chain retention device. I'm planning to get an E13 LG1+. If you're keeping the bash, you should be able to get away with an inexpensive, basic chainguide.

mtbr member
    Yup just that easy.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    thanks for the input guys. now i will be looking at those recommended. do i really need the short cage? if so, does shimano make one?

Let the good times roll.
    You don't need a short cage, but it will improve performance. Shimano makes the Saint in short. I've only seen the other models in long or medium. That's not to say short XT and SLX don't exist - I just haven't seen one.

Anyways, I think SRAM rear shifter and derailleur performs better than Shimano, especially in sloppy conditions that degrade cable housings quickly..

mtbr member
    May 2010
    was looking at the chain guide and its pretty pricey.....any other recommendations on a chain guide?

mtbr member
    The blackspire stinger is great, I haven't dropped my chain yet. Since you have an 08 frame like me you will have to get the bottom bracket mounted stinger. I think I picked mine up for around $25 or $30. If you look through the mission pics thread it seems to be pretty popular
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails need new bb and single crank....help-photo7.jpg  

Let the good times roll.
    All the basic 1x9 chainguides I had in mind don't seem to work with a bash guard. Just shop around and see what you can find. Most guides from E 13, MRP, Blackspire, and Truvative work well enough.

Universal Cycles -- E-thirteen LS1 Plus Chain Guide

Universal Cycles -- E-thirteen XCX Chain Guide

Butts Up Fast!
    BBG bashwich works great for my '07. Its really cheap too! Like $30! I was gonna add a stinger but haven't needed it yet.
    need new bb and single crank....help-bbg.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Funny clips

Your answer is matchless...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Belive?

It is already far not exception