mtbr member
    Sep 2016

My 2016 Mason Comp is here

Hey guys,

My bike arrived last night and ive assembled it, no major hang ups besides the dropper post. The crimped cable end was installed under the seat bracket so it wouldnt drop and ended up pulling that crimp off and the wires all frayed now. I've emailed diamondback so we'll see what they say. Also not a fan of that dropper as the cable attaches to the seat, so you cant tie the cable down to your frame or the seat cannot move correctly. Also being so short the dropper is too tall, with the dropper all the way into the frame its still much to high when not partially dropped so that kinda sucks

Other than that seemed smooth, the front axle worries me a little, the fox instruction makes it sound quite fragile and not to thread it more than 5 time or so. If i dont bottom the thing out it wont go tight so i just threaded all the way in then backed off enough to correctly index the quick release lever, hopefully thats correct? Front brake was easy to align, rear is being a pain, and the front chain guide is rubbing the chain some so that needs adjustment but otherwise pretty smooth.

Threw one with flash in there so you can see the colors better

My 2016 Mason Comp is here-dsc_4588.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Congrats. Reverse the routing of your shifter cables so it doesnt hit the frame and fork. Check out the mason thread on the plus bikes forum.

Route the dropper cable to the enter on the right side and clip it to the brake cables on the left. Thats how I did mine. I still need to shorten the dropper cable.

My 2016 Mason Comp is here-20161219_224215.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I had to reroute the front derailleur shifter as the plant wrapped it around a tube... I'll have to check out the mason thread. Do you shorten the cable on the dropper side or at the bars ? If at the dropper that might fix my problem

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Great bikes, I'm in the hunt for a new Mason, going in circles on my choice, 2016, or 2017, std Mason, Comp, or Pro, trying to decide the best bang for the buck, add the Sync'r Pro to the choices and it's even more confusing.
    Last edited by Tiboy; 12-21-2016 at 03:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Diamondback got back to me, they asked I take the dropper to the lbs for a new cable and they would refund my card the amount. Plenty fair, seems like great customer service from them

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach1320 View Post
    I had to reroute the front derailleur shifter as the plant wrapped it around a tube... I'll have to check out the mason thread. Do you shorten the cable on the dropper side or at the bars ? If at the dropper that might fix my problem
    Cut at the seatpost but before you do, ask db if they can switch it out for a shorter 100mm dropper post. If not, sell it and get a 100mm dropper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I don't think they have a 100 but I had considered having the cable replaced and just selling it to buy a correct sized one

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Personally, I think DB specs dropper posts that are too long. I'm looking at a medium based on desired top tube length and will need to sell off the dropper post and buy a shorter one for my fit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hey Mach1320, I you ordered a small, what is your inseam Im working on sizing as I'm borderline between a small and medium, 5'7" 29" inseam

mtbr member
    Congrats! I also just got the Mason!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Congrats Mach1320!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thanks guys, itching to ride it now, bummer we're only half way through winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiboy View Post
    Hey Mach1320, I you ordered a small, what is your inseam Im working on sizing as I'm borderline between a small and medium, 5'7" 29" inseam
    So, i tried measuring myself this morning and got 27" and im deff nowhere near 5'7" so one of us is off lol. I buy jeans in 29 or 30 long and they will hang past my heels. I can stand over the tube flat footed however it takes careful planning as the cross tube is right up where my leg begins, so while i can flat foot its not comfortable and if i slip off the seat ill deff smash some parts haha. I'm betting a medium would fit you the same way if youre that much taller. If i adjust the seat so i have slight bend in my knee with the pedal down, i still kind of have to lean a little to flat foot the other side.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I'm 5'9 and I'm planning on getting the SMALL

Most people size up when they buy a bike but I size down.

For my style of riding (lots of jumps) I like the smaller size. It makes the bike very snappy. A larger bike may be more stable but it's not as quick when you want to throw it around in my opinion.

I also like to be more upright that's why I size down for a smaller reach. What good is a bike if you will be uncomfortable on it.

Regardless of what size you get the Mason is a gorgeous bike I can't wait to get mine! Hope Santa comes through

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Intertesting thoughts regarding sizing. I'm borderline between a small and medium on most fit charts including my fatbike. My 9:zero:7 fatbike is a small, 583 top tube, 110mm stem, 680mm bars. I went with the small for standover in the snow and lost TT length as a trade off. I needed a 110mm stem to acheive my desired cockpit length.

I'm old school (age56) and ride more streched out and haven't warmed up to this super wide bar short stem trend. I have a bad back and sitting straight up doesn't work for me.

Both the 2016 and 2017 small Mason's have a shorter TT than I'm running now so I'm going for a medium. The 17 frames have a slighlty shorter TT than the 16's but provide a lower SO height. The TT on a 17 Mason is 585 so I hope to end up with a good fit using a 90mm stem combined with the wide bars.

BTW- all the different Mason models posted look great! Happy Holidays.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Switched my brake levers around, really bothered me having the front brake on the left

mtbr member
    You might try making a bigger stink with DB to get them to change out your post. The specs on the DB site seem to imply a 100mm travel post, but the one I received is definitely 150mm. The bike pictured on the DB site definitely doesn't have a 150mm travel post. Fortunately for me, I'm just tall enough that the 150 doesn't cause any issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    The specs on the corporate page just say ks dropper 30.9mm

mtbr member
    The specs on the corporate page just say ks dropper 30.9mm
    They do specify a 350mm seatpost, which corresponds to the 100mm travel KS Supernatural (check specs here). The pic on the site is most definitely not the 150mm version either. Compare the travel on the seatpost to that of the fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I wish they had an obvious part number. I just see a patent number on the post. Can look again when I pull the stickers off the bike shortly. Wishing I could fast forward this wisdom tooth recovery...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    You might try making a bigger stink with DB to get them to change out your post. The specs on the DB site seem to imply a 100mm travel post, but the one I received is definitely 150mm. The bike pictured on the DB site definitely doesn't have a 150mm travel post. Fortunately for me, I'm just tall enough that the 150 doesn't cause any issues.
    DB specs WAY to long dropper posts for my needs. The Mason I'm looking at ships with a 150mm dropper post on a medium. I doubt they will swap for a shorter post so I'm going to have to sell the 150mm post to finance a 125mm or 100mm post depending on how things measure out.

mtbr member
    DB specs WAY to long dropper posts for my needs. The Mason I'm looking at ships with a 150mm dropper post on a medium. I doubt they will swap for a shorter post so I'm going to have to sell the 150mm post to finance a 125mm or 100mm post depending on how things measure out.
    Yeah, definitely not a great move on their part. The 150mm doesn't make a whole lot of sense on this frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Dropper it off at the lbs today for the new dropper cable and initial adjustment of everything. I've also removed all stickers minus the ones clear coated on the frame also left handlebar stickers. Looks much better the wheels were especially bad

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Dropper it off at the lbs today for the new dropper cable and initial adjustment of everything. I've also removed all stickers minus the ones clear coated on the frame also left handlebar stickers. Looks much better the wheels were especially bad
    What's wrong with the wheels?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Ridiculous amount of branding everywhere. Just looks much cleaner without giant stickers everywhere

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ridiculous amount of branding everywhere. Just looks much cleaner without giant stickers everywhere
    +1, total overkill on all the branding Diamondback uses.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Ahh ok I thought the wheels that came with your bike were no good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Interesting bit. The diamondback rep told me each frame should have a different sized dropper. Find it hard to believe since with the post all the way in the frame and dropper extended I can hardly reach the pedals

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Same thing with the stem. I ordered a medium but it came with a 60mm stem. I called and they sent the right one. I also asked for centerline rotors cos thats what the bike is specced with on the website not the g2 that came with the bike.