mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Mission or release

Anyone have experience with both who could provide some insight?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have a mission fully specced out pretty much. It was originally a mission one 27.5 but I upgraded almost everything. Its a burly bike that can take big hits and really rough rocky descents pretty well. Makes me use a a bit of energy to get up hills but how fast it descends makes up for it to me.

That being said the release is supposed to be a really great bike from everything I read. A really solid trail bike which lets be honest is the kind of trails most of us are riding most of the time. It has a proven suspension system I believe the patent expired on the VPP system from Santa Cruz and they Incorporated. A lot of people really love VPP.

If I could afford to service another full suspension bike I would be really interested in getting a release as well but sadly I can not.

I believe Eric Porter the diamondback team rider really loves ripping a lot of trails on his as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
    I have a mission fully specced out pretty much. It was originally a mission one 27.5 but I upgraded almost everything. Its a burly bike that can take big hits and really rough rocky descents pretty well. Makes me use a a bit of energy to get up hills but how fast it descends makes up for it to me.

That being said the release is supposed to be a really great bike from everything I read. A really solid trail bike which lets be honest is the kind of trails most of us are riding most of the time. It has a proven suspension system I believe the patent expired on the VPP system from Santa Cruz and they Incorporated. A lot of people really love VPP.

If I could afford to service another full suspension bike I would be really interested in getting a release as well but sadly I can not.

I believe Eric Porter the diamondback team rider really loves ripping a lot of trails on his as well.
    Thanks for the response I think I am gonna get the release 3 for sure. Kind of looking at the mission pro but you are right, most of the time I need something that climbs well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Make sure to give us some pics and let us know how you like it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm sort of in the same boat: because of my budget it's either Mission 1 or Release 1. Not sure which one to go with... Sort of like the 2x10 setup offered by Release 1 since it should allow for better climbing (even better if the rear cog is upgraded to 42T). On the looks alone, I think I prefer the Mission 1.... Still cannot make up my mind!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have no experience on the Mission, but I really like my Release 1! A little heavy, but you don't feel it when riding. It climbs nicely, feels both plush and nimble.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    So I am gonna go with a release three on a deal through work. I will post pics ASAP when it comes in

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Looking forward to the pics! I just purchased a Mission 1 myself.

I'm sure others will come to this same road block in life so I'll post why I went with the Mission 1.

For the most part, I prefer the style of it over the release. Smooth curvy lines and I like how some of the cables travel inside the frame. I'm also a big fan of Fox suspension. Another key factor for me was the overall weight. While different sources had different numbers, REI had the Release at 32lbs 14oz and the Mission at 31lbs and 1oz. I also went through the component listing and found that most of the Mission parts cost a little more, which makes sense that the Mission is more money.

At the end of the day both bikes are great and I say go with the one that looks cooler to yourself, because your more likely to ride it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by codename607 View Post
    Looking forward to the pics! I just purchased a Mission 1 myself.

I'm sure others will come to this same road block in life so I'll post why I went with the Mission 1.

For the most part, I prefer the style of it over the release. Smooth curvy lines and I like how some of the cables travel inside the frame. I'm also a big fan of Fox suspension. Another key factor for me was the overall weight. While different sources had different numbers, REI had the Release at 32lbs 14oz and the Mission at 31lbs and 1oz. I also went through the component listing and found that most of the Mission parts cost a little more, which makes sense that the Mission is more money.

At the end of the day both bikes are great and I say go with the one that looks cooler to yourself, because your more likely to ride it.
    I'm curious if the Mission ACTUALLY weighs less than the Release. It's tough to see almost 2lb difference between the 2 in reality.

Were you comparing comparably equipped models? Dropper/1x?

Diamondback claimed the Release frame was their lightest full suspension frame yet, I thought.

I see the base model "1" of each have some notable differences. The Mission has a 1x10 drivetrain whereas the Release has a 2x10. I've seen reviews complain that the 1x10 on the Mission doesn't go "granny" enough.

ac

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The mission has 1x11 on the two and pro I just asked dB and the mission is 31 lbs release is 32

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarman View Post
    The mission has 1x11 on the two and pro I just asked dB and the mission is 31 lbs release is 32

Yes it does. That's why I was saying it is very important to make sure we are comparing apples to apples somehow.

What trim/size did they give you those specs for?

ac

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    They didn't say but I was asking the guy about the pro and the release 3 so I think he assumed that

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    They didn't say but I was asking the guy about the pro and the release 3 so I think he assumed that

Go big or go home :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Ha-ha get the pro?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ha-ha get the pro?

I was just commenting because you jumped right to the top of both models.

Honestly, go with whichever suits your riding style better. The Mission is definitely an AM bike. It has longish chain stays and a lot of front AND rear travel. The Release appears to try to blur that line. 150 up front, 130 out back. Super SHORT chain stays.

Ask the DB online chat which you should get. I'm curious what they think.

What type of riding do you do?

ac

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Oh yeah haha for sure I ride alot of climbing to a downhill type trail sometimes Moab and sometimes bike park I'm 5'11 205 strength train alot

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    They all say the release is the way to go if u climb I'm just worried I'm gonna bottom it out

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The geometry of the Mission really worries me. It's really long out back and short up front by today's standards. The Release is the opposite. It appears straight in line with today's trends in geometry.

ac

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
    The geometry of the Mission really worries me. It's really long out back and short up front by today's standards. The Release is the opposite. It appears straight in line with today's trends in geometry.

ac
    My Mission comes in tomorrow. I'll get it put together and take it for a spin on Saturday. My past bikes have been a Cannondale Gemini, Trek Fuel 8, Airborne Toxin and a Cannondale Trail. I'll be sure to post up what I think about the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My Mission comes in tomorrow. I'll get it put together and take it for a spin on Saturday. My past bikes have been a Cannondale Gemini, Trek Fuel 8, Airborne Toxin and a Cannondale Trail. I'll be sure to post up what I think about the bike.
    Based on those previous bikes I think the Mission is more inline with what you are used to than the Release would have been.

ac

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
    Based on those previous bikes I think the Mission is more inline with what you are used to than the Release would have been.

ac
    Yeah I agree. The one thing that worries me is the climbing ability of the bike. When I first started looking at these bikes both the Release 1 and Mission 1 was in stock...but after researching them for a few weeks the Release 1 was out of stock. At that point I was leaning more towards the Release 1 only because of the overall price. I'm in the military and they give us a good discount but I think they only discount so many of their bikes each year. If I really wanted the Release I was going to have to wait a few more months...so I saved up a few more bucks and purchased the Mission 1.

mtbr member
    Been riding a 2016 Mission 2 for a couple weeks now that replaced my 2013 KHS XC104 120mm cross country bike that the chain stay cracked on (for a second time...). Wasnt planning on buying an all mountain bike til next year and wasnt planning on the xc bike breaking at all so now I am doing all my xc races for the rest of the year on the Mission. Had my first race on it last weekend and I have to say that I was actually very surprised with the climbing capabilities of the bike. Its a large frame size and with a slight body lean towards the handlebars the front end seems to stay down unless I want to pop it up over an obstacle. Now the xc bike def felt like a better climber but according to Strava my climbing times have actually been the same or better on the Mission (as long as you remember to lock out the rear shock at the start of the climb, it makes a huge difference on longer climbs). I would imagine the long wheelbase of the Mission is the main reason for this. The bike just feels planted pretty much all the time. And once youve climbed up the hill the Mission it is a rocket on the way back down and can take just about any line you point it at.

Just my opinion on the Mission. Havent ridden or even seen the Release so I can not comment on it but I'm sure its an excellent bike as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    ^^^Great info man!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just placed my order for a Release 3. I debated back and forth but I ultimately decided I wanted the modern geometry and something designed to climb. In NJ I do a lot more pedaling than coasting.

ac

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My bike came in today. Still needs some adjustments but I love it so far. Super impressed!
    Mission or release-13124472_1146990948684910_8390575832638357594_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    My bike came in today. Still needs some adjustments but I love it so far. Super impressed!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13124472_1146990948684910_8390575832638357594_n.jpg 
Views:	1942 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	1068656
    Nice Tacoma!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I like it! That color combo looks better in your pic than in Diamondback's advertising!

ac

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Looks awesome!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by arock View Post
    Been riding a 2016 Mission 2 for a couple weeks now that replaced my 2013 KHS XC104 120mm cross country bike that the chain stay cracked on (for a second time...). Wasnt planning on buying an all mountain bike til next year and wasnt planning on the xc bike breaking at all so now I am doing all my xc races for the rest of the year on the Mission. Had my first race on it last weekend and I have to say that I was actually very surprised with the climbing capabilities of the bike. Its a large frame size and with a slight body lean towards the handlebars the front end seems to stay down unless I want to pop it up over an obstacle. Now the xc bike def felt like a better climber but according to Strava my climbing times have actually been the same or better on the Mission (as long as you remember to lock out the rear shock at the start of the climb, it makes a huge difference on longer climbs). I would imagine the long wheelbase of the Mission is the main reason for this. The bike just feels planted pretty much all the time. And once youve climbed up the hill the Mission it is a rocket on the way back down and can take just about any line you point it at.

Just my opinion on the Mission. Havent ridden or even seen the Release so I can not comment on it but I'm sure its an excellent bike as well.

The one user noted about its geometry not being to current standards. There was an article with an interview witn the lead designer of the mission and the reason it differs has longer chain stays etc... was to make it climb better and let you prett much barge any line at speed with a ton of stability with the way the suspension was designed. I love the geometry on the mission it inspires a ton of confidence going down steeps at high speed and loves to pop off trail features.

Its one one thing I wouldn't have based my decision on but you actually need to ride it to understand I suppose. My 2017 fox 36 comes tomorrow for my 2015 mission can't wait to rip with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13124472_1146990948684910_8390575832638357594_n.jpg 
Views:	1942 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	1068656

looks great congrats. That cable routing going into the frame the way it is looks wrong tho. Might wanna look at the pics on the DB website and adjust.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Good catch, that cabling looks wrong. Also the front brake line needs to be secured

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pinche View Post
    Good catch, that cabling looks wrong. Also the front brake line needs to be secured

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
    I think if he knows enough about bikes to take the handle bars and stem off steerer tube he can then just move the shift cable and break cable ( shouldn't be running over top tube like that) to the left and then reinstall. Just make sure there is no play and top cap screw is correctly set then retighten stem to steerer.

Looks like the cables wherein wrong location when the stem and bars were installed by accident.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Anyone ride the mission and release they are all out of release threes until the end of June I may just get s mission pro but some people say it isn't as playful? Anyone who could give some insight would help a ton ! Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I ordered the mission pro anxiously waiting it's arrival

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just ordered a Mission Pro as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mammothpunks View Post
    I just ordered a Mission Pro as well.
    I love my mission.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Built her up today. Still need to trim all the lines. Rides awesome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

This bike rips everything is so solid on it I love the transmission I love the brakes. So solid. It descends like a beast and rallies corners. So happy I did not get a release. This bike is much more my style.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Your in the same boat as me my style is more the mission as well and am glad I got it. My 2017 fox 36 goes on this week can't wait. I had a 2015 Mission so it came with a 34 instead of a 36. Anyway your bike looks so sick.. I still wish I had a release in my quiver too though haha. I can't afford to maintenance 3 bikes so now its a AM hardtail and the Mission for when I want to get rowdy.

One note is where the derauiller cable comes out near the bottom bracket and runs across make sure you have some clear tape or gorilla tape there. Mine didn't and after a lot of rides the cable started to create a small divot in the aluminum. Glad I caught it before it got serious.

When I talked to diamondback they said the tape should have been there from the factory but mine 100% didn't have any there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thanks for the advice man I will check when I get home I just got my fiancée a release one in a medium so stoked

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    After way too much deliberation between Mission 1, Release 1 and Commencal Meta AM V3 and V4... Mission 1 (XL) it is! Just ordered! The only upgrade I am planning on performing relatively soon is adding the 42T cog to help with climbing.

EDIT: after some additional research, it looks like I could get a brand new 11-42t cassette (SunRace CSMS3) for about the same money as the single add-on ring. Leaning toward that option. Anyone else has done this already on their Missions or Releases?

Will post pictures when received. First FS bike ever (upgrading from heavily modified 2013 DB Overdrive).
    Last edited by Szy_szka; 06-02-2016 at 05:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Got my 2017 Fox Factory 36 Fit4 installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mission or release-img_3166.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My Mission 1 came in yesterday. Here are the few photos of the bike (alone and next to my 2013 Overdrive). Took it for a quick spin around the neighborhood and I cannot believe how different this bike is when compared to my old bike! I have a feeling I will have tons of fun with it on the actual trail!

First mod was to add the SunRace 11-42T cassette (CSMS3). Everything works as advertised, no issues backpedaling, etc. I'll post an update in its own thread.

Mission or release-img_20160607_192948.jpg

Mission or release-img_20160607_193059.jpg

Mission or release-img_20160607_193120.jpg

Mission or release-rower.jpg

Mission or release-img_20160607_223926.jpg

Mission or release-img_20160607_230135.jpg

Mission or release-img_20160607_230236.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

I like your Mission, but love the release.

The release charges hard and stays glued to the ground.Hard to go wrong with it. Mission or release-diamondback-release-small.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by justingreenwell View Post
    The release charges hard and stays glued to the ground.Hard to go wrong with it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Diamondback Release Small.jpg 
Views:	1962 
Size:	386.6 KB 
ID:	1075065
    Nice! I spot a lot of changes there! What rear fender is that? I have the same bike and like that it matches.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The rear fender is a Mucky Nutz. Only thing stock is the frame, this bike is a beast! The rear end feels bottomless. Check out the review Mountain Bike Action in the latest mag, everyone loves Level Link. Thumbs up for Diamondback.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    So I got my first flat today on my Mission 1. Trying to change the tube and... I cannot for the life of me to remove the tire from the rim! It literally seems like it's glued to it! I am unable to wedge anything between the rim and the tire to get it to budge. What am I doing wrong? Is there a trick to those rims? Do I need tire levers to get those to budge?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    It was tough for me the first flat too. But keep at it. I tried pinching the tire, pinching the beads towards the center of the rim, all around the rim. Then using the heel of your hand push against the bead towards the middle of the rim. Keep doing it and it should finally pop off. It felt like this was doing nothing, then all of a sudden, it came off.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    It was tough for me the first flat too. But keep at it. I tried pinching the tire, pinching the beads towards the center of the rim, all around the rim. Then using the heel of your hand push against the bead towards the middle of the rim. Keep doing it and it should finally pop off. It felt like this was doing nothing, then all of a sudden, it came off.
    Thanks so much! I will keep trying; taking a break now as my hands literally hurt from all that pulling and pushing. Seems like the bead of the tire is really snug onto the rim and needs this extra push to get loose. I may try some soapy water, just for kicks, too.

Update: ok, it finally came off! Sprayed the heck out of it with soapy water and used the vise (!) to gently squeeze/hold the tire so I could "maneuver" the wheel back and forth to get the bead to come off. It worked but I am perplexed at the amount of time and effort it took to complete. No way I would have ever been able to do it on the trail.
    Last edited by Szy_szka; 06-21-2016 at 07:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Good to hear that you got it off. But you are right about trailside maintenance. I am going tubeless soon for this reason. Just got my Orange sealant in the mail today!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Good to hear that you got it off. But you are right about trailside maintenance. I am going tubeless soon for this reason. Just got my Orange sealant in the mail today!
    Still debating the whole tubeless conversion... If at all possible, post your conversion experience when you're done. And thanks for pointing out to another brand of sealant: I (mistakenly) assumed that Stan's NoTubes is the ONLY one out there!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Szy_szka View Post
    Still debating the whole tubeless conversion... If at all possible, post your conversion experience when you're done. And thanks for pointing out to another brand of sealant: I (mistakenly) assumed that Stan's NoTubes is the ONLY one out there!
    I did the conversion on my Release. The front wheel went no troubles whatsoever. The rear wheel gave me a fit. It turns out the factory tape was "nicked" so sealant was leaking through the spokes. I also couldn't get the valve base to seal. DB stepped up and sent me new tape and a new valve. Re-taped the wheel and the rear sealed up just as easily as the front.

I've been using Trucker Co sealant I bought off Ebay. For the next batch I'll probably just mix some home brew.

ac

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'll share my experiences when I do it. I found this Diamondback video that shows the process, looks pretty easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlADDPIe2ms

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I would get the Release 1 because of the specs. The release has a Yari with 35mm sanctions but the release has small station for a 160mm bike at 32mm.