Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mission pics

80K views 473 replies 90 participants last post by  jackofall 
#1 ·
My fiancee just got her new bike last week and loves it. Made a few mods but still need to shorten the cables. Here's a pic after the first ride.

Attachments

See less See more
#55 ·
AN ANSWER TO THE ABOVE.
this is how it looks these days. changed my user name from nma as i forgot the password.
raleigh america own the rights to the frame design & lease it to diamond back for the american market & focus have the licence or europe.db is no where to be seen in the uk anymore.

it is fully made in germany & this would be backed up by the difference in welding techniques used.

if you look at some of the missions the welding is like bird pooh compared to my bigbud.
so i would say it is better made given the few cracks we have starting to appear in the otherwise faultless mission.

#57 ·
BIG-BUD said:
AN ANSWER TO THE ABOVE.
this is how it looks these days. changed my user name from nma as i forgot the password.
raleigh america own the rights to the frame design & lease it to diamond back for the american market & focus have the licence or europe.db is no where to be seen in the uk anymore.

it is fully made in germany & this would be backed up by the difference in welding techniques used.

if you look at some of the missions the welding is like bird pooh compared to my bigbud.
so i would say it is better made given the few cracks we have starting to appear in the otherwise faultless mission.
Raleigh doesn't lease it to Diamondback. The Diamondback brand is wholly owned by Raleigh.

#59 ·
miniwisejosh said:
That's a good question. I cracked the frame at the weld where the knucklebox pivot meets the frame after just a couple month of riding. What you see in the pictures above is pretty much the most air I ever do on my Mission. That should be well within the abilities of an AM bike under a 160lb rider in my opinion. I used to go much bigger on my old Fisher hardtail without damaging it.

I'm not convinced that my frame was the problem though. My shock was acting strange, bottoming out hard almost everytime I landed even when pumped up near the 300psi max. I'm sure that didn't do anything for its structural integrity.

My shock is fixed now thanks to PUSH, and the 2009 Mission frame is supposed to be slightly stronger. Hopefully that means no more cracks, because I really, really love how the Mission rides and handles.

I can't really answer your question about reliability. I just don't know if this crack was caused by bad frame design or too much bottoming out. You'll have to ask me again in a few months. If you have a warranty though, you have nothing to worry about. DB's customer service has treated me extremely well, and I'm sure you'll have the same experience.

Also, for what its worth, I've only ever heard of one person who cracked his Mission and he was doing some pretty intense stuff.
Ha! I've heard of a whole lot more than one. Three different people out of just our shop. Could be because of the terrain down here too, don't know. I'm sure they strengthened the tubing on the 08-09 runs though. Haven't heard of too many of those breaking at all. 07 was a flawed year in tubing spec but DB has good customer service, so I'm sure that problem has been adressed.

#62 ·
#70 ·
I want to see some close ups of your big bud welds. And we shall see!!! Are you sure the frame is welded in Germany? I would think that it is made in the same factory and shipped to Deutchland for assembly and then that allows them to say made in Germany.

#75 ·
Thanks for your opinion...

But that is about the only jump I do on it and the landing is a smooth transition to a downhill. It is a very smooth landing and the Sortie is more than equiped for it. Plus I am only 150 lbs!! The new 5" Sortie is a very awesome frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.