mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Mission One 27.5 Wheels = Junk

Just wanted to share some thoughts about the wheels on the Mission One.

I absolutely HATE these wheels. They look good, but in action they are terrible, especially for an all mtn bike. They are soft and flex way too much. I've ridden about 70 miles or so of rough S. AZ terrain so far. I have been through 7 tubes already and all pinch flats.

My very first day of riding I went through 4 tubes and chipped the rear rim. I have experimented with pressures ranging from 28psi to 45psi and still get pinch flats. I even bought a 4mm thick goo tube and had a pinch I could stick my little finger through.

Since kenda nevegals are not tubeless compatible, I went and bought a set of Specialized Purgatory Grids. I taped the rim, put em on, and pumped the pressure to 35psi. No more flats so far.

The only other thing that may have helped alleviate flats was adjusting the pressure in the shock. I'm 175lbs without gear and the recommended psi is about 160. I upped it to 190. With the psi and tire change I haven't had any flats yet.

A friend of mine bought a new Mason FSR and has had a pinch flat on every single ride so far. Both his and my rear hubs are now grinding and sound like garbage. To top it off, the front rim is already out of true and wobbles like crazy.

I know the bike is not the pro model, but Diamondback should not be selling all mtn bikes with garbage wheels that can't even stand up to the riding they are meant for. I've spent enough money on tubes now to buy a set of Stans Flow hoops.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Caburtle View Post
    Just wanted to share some thoughts about the wheels on the Mission One.

I absolutely HATE these wheels. They look good, but in action they are terrible, especially for an all mtn bike. They are soft and flex way too much. I've ridden about 70 miles or so of rough S. AZ terrain so far. I have been through 7 tubes already and all pinch flats.

My very first day of riding I went through 4 tubes and chipped the rear rim. I have experimented with pressures ranging from 28psi to 45psi and still get pinch flats. I even bought a 4mm thick goo tube and had a pinch I could stick my little finger through.

Since kenda nevegals are not tubeless compatible, I went and bought a set of Specialized Purgatory Grids. I taped the rim, put em on, and pumped the pressure to 35psi. No more flats so far.

The only other thing that may have helped alleviate flats was adjusting the pressure in the shock. I'm 175lbs without gear and the recommended psi is about 160. I upped it to 190. With the psi and tire change I haven't had any flats yet.

A friend of mine bought a new Mason FSR and has had a pinch flat on every single ride so far. Both his and my rear hubs are now grinding and sound like garbage. To top it off, the front rim is already out of true and wobbles like crazy.

I know the bike is not the pro model, but Diamondback should not be selling all mtn bikes with garbage wheels that can't even stand up to the riding they are meant for. I've spent enough money on tubes now to buy a set of Stans Flow hoops.

Not had one pinch flat on these wheels and live in eastern pa where it is rocky as all hell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Maybe a bad batch?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Its all rocks and drops here. I've ridden the bike hard, but no harder than I'd imagine an All Mtn bike should be ridden.

Another ride today and the rear wheel blew the bead on the tubeless setup. Threw in a regular tube, put it to 40+ psi and had no issues.

It may have been the rear shock psi being too low, I'm not certain.

Flows are the first purchase for this bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by impulse2010 View Post
    Maybe a bad batch?
    At first I thought it was something with my setup because I am new to tubes. But with all the same problems my friend is having on a different bike I am suspicious.

I even took my cross country bike with tubeless setup on the exact same trails and had not one single issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    i dont think the mission one wheels are tubeless either not sure though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I couldn't find out either way if they are tubeless ready, probably not. They taped just fine though

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So I have a bunch of miles on the mission one now and I have not had one flat at all and I ride them at 30psi. I am 178pounds with all my gear on.

mtbr member
    Are we talking about the wheels as in rim or the tires? Kenda Nevegals have a tubless and a tubed version. I have run the tubed version tubeless no problems in the past. I have run Continental Gravities which have a pretty thin wall tubeless. The Conti's I did tear open when I hit a small whoop and landed square in the middle of a rock garden. But the Nevegals I have never had an issue with other than weight- even the non tubeless are stout.

Like stated above - bad batch maybe?

Dinged or chipped rim is an indication of good hard riding with a tire pressure too low for the tire to support in my opinion and experience. With the tubeless ready Nevegal in the rear and 35psi I was golden with never a problem and I weigh 240lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Rim is the issue. They are too soft. Like I've said before, I have run psi all the way up to 40 and the only psi that doesn't pinch flat is 40 psi. I have another pinch last week running 35 psi. I ride some super gnarly trails. Tons of sharp rocks, roots, drops and everything else.

RIP Friendgirl
    Sounds like you need bigger tires.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.