Thread: Mission fork

mtbr member

Mission fork

Hi all,
    Been riding a mission for a while now and am loving it. Slowly been upgrading as I go as I have an mission 1 09 model. This came with the Fox Van R 140mm fork. I have been liking the fork but have noticed most missions have 150 or 160mm forks. Is a bigger fork better suited to the mission? (better geometry etc) Am I missing something with riding a 140mm fork? Any recommendations?
    Revelation and talas come to mind.
    Can the 09 frames take only 1.1/8 stearers ie no tapered?
    I have also found a x fusion vengence HLR (custom) only slightly used for $400. Guy says its got 10mm more than normal and good for FR and DH. Would this be overkill?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by pow77; 05-22-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    'keep the mission alive!'

Let the good times roll.
    Some people love the TALAS, but I'm not a fan. Every one I've ridden felt too harsh for me. The Float is only a bit better. I recommend staying with coil if you don't mind the weight. Van 36, Marzocchi RC3 Ti, Lyrik DH, Vengeance coil are about equally good. If you want air, check out the Lyrik, Revelation, and Vengenace. Those are the smoothest air forks I've ridden.

I prefer how the Mission rides with longer forks. 150mm Revelation is great for trail riding. 160mm Lyrik is great for bombing down steep trails. 170mm Lyrik might be bit too much for anything except freeriding. Always look at axle to crown specs, and not just travel. A Lyrik reduced to 150mm travel will still be taller (and slacker) than a 150mm Revelation, and I'm pretty sure the Vengenace is taller than most 160mm forks.

mtbr member
    Thanks miniwisejosh,
    been doing some research and seems I cant use a tapered fork on my mission 09 frame,
    does anyone know any solutions? Have read cane creek might have one. contacted them and waiting for reply.
    So far top of my list is a revelation,
    the vengence I mentioned is 170mm, but these are adjustable arnt they? But I guess they still slacken the front as they are tall.
    Im mostly trail riding now but have starting to hit some of the larger features on the trails, 140 is feeling a bit short.
    cheers

Let the good times roll.
    1 1/8 forks are great because they work with all frames and allow angleset options on tapered or 1.5 frames . For that reason, I'd never buy a tapered fork unless the price was too good to pass up.

But if you want tapered, Cane Creek is a good place to start. They will point you in the right direction if it's possible.

mtbr member
    Cool,
    I do want to be able to change stuff easy if I decide.
    now looking at a revealation RLT from merlin. and have also found a RTC3 version but is a bit more $$, how would they compare? I like the light weight of the revs but do they hold up ok?
    I think I wouldnt mide trying an air fork next as the van I have feels like the spring is to firm for me. Can get another spring I guess but thats more money I could put into a fork, I want to get more travel anyway.
    thanks again,

Let the good times roll.
    The Revelation should hold up fine. It used to have basically the same chassis as the Pike wich was a pretty stout fork. I would like to think Rockshox hasn't sacrificed strength for weight.

I can't help you with the different versions of Motion Control on the Revelation other than to say that more expensive isn't necessarily better performance with Rockshox dampers. Sometimes it's just stuff like a 3 position lever instead of a dial for compression adjustments. In other words, fine tuning vs easy on-the-fly adjustments. You'll have to read some more about the current dampers.

Start here
    Rockshox Revelation RCT3 vs RLT

mtbr member
    Thanks again miniwisejosh,
    well I didnt take long to decide. Was looking at revelations and couldnt aford the extra for the RTC3, so it was between the RL and the RLT. Both were at a good price but went the RL. From what I have read the 2012 RL and RLT are the same apart from the RL having tooled floodgate while the RLT has external floodgate.
    I was also after a black fork (ha ha) and the black RL was cheaper! Maybe should of just gone the RLT in white!
    So will see how it goes. My calculations show there will be a change in axle to crown of about 18mm, is that around a 1.5 degree change? be interesting to see how the slacker angle feels.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I went from a 140mm Pike to a 150mm Revelation on my 08 Mission 3. It was a good switch, gained travel and lost weight. 160mm would have probably been better for going downhill, but I feel like 150mm is a good all around travel. I don't think you can fit a tapered steerer into the older frames, regardless of the headset you use.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a lyrik on my 2011 mission and I can say that on steep climbs, the front end wandering is noticeable. Not enough to bother me, but its definitely noticeable. However, on the downs, I would not want it any other way. 170 IMO is overkill for the mission. I think you cant go wrong with the 150 or 160, 150 if climbing is slightly more important to you, 160 if DH is slightly more important to you.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Thanks all,
    Going with the 150mm as the trails I ride are alot of up and down with not very long downhill sections, so I am peddling for a large amount of my rides.
    Really loving upgrading my mission from the the stock 1. Its going to be a completely different beast by the end. Dropping a ton of weight and increaseing the stiffness and travel.
    Got upgradeitis is seems, by the end I will of changed the rear derailluor and shifter (X9), wheelset (hope/flow) with 990 cassette, tires (X-kings), bar (altas low rise), grips, fork (rev), crankset (SLX double),pedals (HT Ax01) stem (60mm).
    Now thinking I may want to change the brakes at some point, now running hayes ryde, maybe to trails. Or go the new XT's? read they are great.
    Be good to hear if anyone has any knowledge on the Rev's floodgate. Is it really beneficial being able to adjust it externally or is it one of those things once you get it how you like it you just leave it?
    cheers

Let the good times roll.
    Geometry calculator. Have fun geometryCalc

If I had a Revalation, I'd probably set floodgate to the lowest possible setting and leave it there. I'm not a fan of any kind of pedal platform in front or rear suspension, which is why my Lyrik has the non-floodgate damper (Mission Control DH). But of course, your preferences may vary. You may find floodgate useful on smooth climbs and XC trails.

I've briefly used XT brakes on demo bikes. They are nice. A bit underpowered for me (at least with 6" rotors), but they have solid performance for trail riding. Also consider the Avid Elixir 9 and Formula RX. Those are good trail brakes too. If you want more power, I recommend Saint, Code, Hope Tech V2, or Formula One. I have the Codes now, and like them. I kinda wish I got the Formula R0, but their price is insane.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I got a pair of new slx's with rotors (8" front, 6" rear) and adapters from tree fort bikes for about $240 for everything, so far I am quite happy with them. Stopping power is definitely there, but Im about 160 lbs with everything.

Oh yeah, I got a hope wheelset from wiggle. I got the mavic rims but I have heard nothing but good things about the flows. Let me say, it is an awesome wheelset for the price. You cant go wrong

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh View Post
    Geometry calculator. Have fun geometryCalc

If I had a Revalation, I'd probably set floodgate to the lowest possible setting and leave it there. I'm not a fan of any kind of pedal platform in front or rear suspension, which is why my Lyrik has the non-floodgate damper (Mission Control DH). But of course, your preferences may vary. You may find floodgate useful on smooth climbs and XC trails.
    IMO, the knucklebox suspension design benefits greatly from some sort of pedaling platform, at least in the rear. Propedal on vs off on the climbs is very noticeable on the mission. On the front I could care less...

Personally, I dont really like the RP23 on my mission, I am gonna throw on a monarch plus RC3. I wish I could go coil. Correct me if I am wrong but I dont think coil fits.

mtbr member
    yep also got my hope hoops from wiggle at a bargin price and im loving them, the difference has been huge. Got a RP2 on the back and do use the pro-pedal but not much.
    My hayes rydes have been ok so far but i am only around 140 lbs so im a light weight.
    Do you guys work on your own bikes?
    Im currently building up a second bike with some spare parts so as to learn a bit more. But I am a bit worried about removing and fitting the new crankset (SLX) and forks on my mission.
    Would you advise to get this done at the LBS or will I manage it. just dont wont to damage anything as im just learning.
    Cheers

Let the good times roll.
    I work on all my own stuff unless it requires an expensive tool. Bike work is easy to learn. It's mostly loosening/tightening parts with the appropriate tools, grease, and torque. A good LBS will give you advice on lots of stuff. The Park Tools website (or book) is my primary resource for basic questions. Tech documents and these forums help for specific questions about components.

Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy42 View Post
    IMO, the knucklebox suspension design benefits greatly from some sort of pedaling platform, at least in the rear. Propedal on vs off on the climbs is very noticeable on the mission. On the front I could care less...

Personally, I dont really like the RP23 on my mission, I am gonna throw on a monarch plus RC3. I wish I could go coil. Correct me if I am wrong but I dont think coil fits.
    Even if a coil could physically fit, the frame ratio is designed to work best with a progressive air shock. Monarch RC3 sounds really sweet! I loved my Monarch RT-AM, and the Plus is supposed to be even better. Are you considering a PUSH tune, or the standard shock from Rockshox?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Miniwisejosh,

I am just going to get the standard shock from rockshox. I am getting the low tune, high volume canister. I think this is the right shock to get. RS tuning guide says below 2.4:1 get the low tune. I calculated the mission leverage ratio to be about 2.36:1.

mtbr member
    So been riding the mission with the revelation RL 150mm and have been loving it! Much better than the 140mm Van for the mission, IMO. Now im building up a HT (Trans Am) as a second bike and while looking for a fork I found a used Marzocchi 55 micro ti 160mm. The trans am is not finished yet but was thinking the 55 might be awesome on the mission instead and move the Revelation to the trans am.
    So what you guys thinks a larger fork on the FS or HT??

Let the good times roll.
    IMO, the Mission rides better with a 160mm fork. Better geo, more plush, better quality damper... Everyone I know with a TransAM is running a 140 or 150mm fork. But if you have both, might as well experiment

mtbr member
    Yeah think i will throw the 55 on the mission and see if I prefer it. Thinking with the extra travel and 20mm axle it should change the ride a bit and make it even more solid. Just hope it doesnt effect the climbing ability to much with the extra weight and slacker front end. Will post how it goes in a few weeks. Really liking my mission.

Let the good times roll.
    Nah, climbing will be fine. I had a Lyrik U-turn on my Mission, and never found travel reduction useful except on fire road grinds. The extra travel actually seemed to help on technical climbs. It seemed easier to pull the front wheel up and place it back down precisely where I wanted. Or maybe I was just more used to 160mm mode...