mtbr member
    Jul 2014

mason ht or overdrive comp?

I am just getting back in the saddle again after about 10 years, but that was just bmx. I have my eye on the Diamondback mason and the overdrive comp. I am looking for some advice. I will be riding on a bike path with the wife and commuting to work a couple times a week, but I want a ht that can keep up on the trails. I live monterey, ca and only about 10 mins from fort ord trails and I have friends that ride every weekend. I love the style of the mason, I am not sure if it is to aggressive for what I need. I am also open to any other options. I would like to stay around $1000. thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    My brother bought the 2014 Diamondback Overdrive sport. For the sale price amazon sometimes throws it out at $449 prime, seems very hard to beat. I also am shopping for a bike, but amazon say 1-4 months on his bike now..

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I saw that deal on amazon. I am willing to spend the extra $ to get the better components.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeah i understand. how much are you looking to spend?

And are you going to be ordering it online? If so id recommend using ebates or active junkie for extra cash back on your purchase.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm looking to spend $1000. If I can find one local I would buy it here. I like to support local businesses

Brackish

Re: mason ht or overdrive comp?

I'm in the same boat, but I have done a ton of mountain biking and have been out of it for a few years. The Mason is a trail rocker that will be great if you know you are going to hit drops and obstacles and such, but the Overdrive comp will be a better all around bike for rail trails, occasional commutes and general riding due to the more XC-friendly geo. Right I am trying to be honest with myself about how I will really use the bike I get the most, because it will be my only ride for at least a year.
    Last edited by carbuncle; 07-12-2014 at 07:46 PM.

mtbr member

mason ht or overdrive comp?

If it helps, I ride an NS Surge (easily as "aggressive" as the Mason) on commutes and rail-trail type stuff fairly often, and it does that just fine. I really enjoy riding it on trails, and as such I really tend to enjoy riding it everywhere. In fact, I spent a bunch if time riding it on paved paths while recovering from shoulder surgery and it was great for that as well. I can't really imagine you would find the geometry to be a problem on your commute. I can definitely imagine that you might wish for more than the overdrive if you are riding singletrack.

Basically; buy the Mason if you can. It will be fine on the bike path and much more fun on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I have decided on the mason. I am getting a 2013 model which is the 2014 top tier model for $1300 hopefully pick it up tomorrow. I will post pics when I get it. hartwerks you are right. I was worried about going with the overdrive and later on wanting more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    so just a quick update. I ended up getting a new mason comp, and I am loving it. I don't know how to add photos. thank you everyone for your input.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I know I may be late to the party but I agree that the agressive geometry is not a detriment in any situation. I ride my Yelli Screamy everywhere from around town to rail trails to lift serviced downhill and I find I prefer it to a cross country set up on rail trails because the front end is higher and I'm more upright and comfortable.