mtbr member

Mason HT Derailleur Mixup

This is part PSA, and part rant, I think. I broke my rear mech hanger on my Mason riding in the rocks last fall. It happens. I've been riding a fatbike and a new rigid build since, but with vacay about a month away, I decide it prudent to fix my mainstay, and get ready for some rocky southern riding.

I headed to my local Raleigh dealer(same company), and put in an order for two '13 Mason HT hangers. After patiently waiting 2.5 weeks, I'm getting uneasy and call. Raleigh had apparently just called back and said they didn't have any stocked, and the dealer had placed an order with Olympic Supply. Parts on the way. Whew.

Fast forward to today. Made a trip to the dealer(1 hr away) and picked up the hangers. Different than I expected, but I took them home assuming they were right. They are definitely not:

Left is the actual Mason hanger. The replacement part is clearly meant for a quick release, and the diameter is for a 10mm rear. Thru axle doesn't fit. The two main holes actually align between the two, but the little threaded hole doesn't line up with either on the new one. The hanger sits inside a rounded triangle cutout in the frame, so this design definitely will not fit.

Wondering if this was a wrong part from the supplier, I checked online to find that online retailers list the same wrong part for the Mason HT(bottom left of page on the following link; hanger #517)

Diamondback Derailleur Hangers

So, if you need a new one, watch out. Not only may the dealer not be able to order an OEM for you, but the supply houses seem to have the wrong replacement spec. This is the second or third issue with this bike I've had regarding spec issues(I'm typically an ideal/easy going customer), and now I'm forced to vacation with a rigid build instead of my Mason.

Anyone have better luck ordering a new hanger?

fan of maple syrup
    Good post. I'd like to know where to buy one (or three) myself. Preferably somewhere that ships internationally as the Mason was never for sale down here in Aus so I got it freight forwarded.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just order two of these last week...maybe I took the last ones!
    Diamondback Part# 32-68-060
    I ordered them through REI. They are a DB dealer. I called Diamondback before placing the order and they said they only had a couple left. I don't know what that means...whether they are handing it over to Wheels Manufacturing or not. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My experience with this is similar so far:

I own a 2013 Diamondback Mason. Its a great bike. I love everything about it, Price, Spec, Geo etc.

However. I bent a derailleur hanger 8 weeks ago and still haven't been able to track one down.

I just got off the phone with Diamondback (800-222-5527). They don't have them in stock and they can't tell me when they will be getting new ones in.

They also said they are unable to get me shop drawings so I could get one easily made up at a machine shop.

In my opinion not stocking parts so people can continue to enjoy they bicycle is a pretty big red flag.

I tried Wheels.
    They redirected me to:The Fix Bicycle Products Inc. who returned one of my emails but didn't get back to me with a quote.

I just spoke with Patrick @ Raleigh Canada (The Diamondback Facebook page recommended this) 905-829-5555. He was super helpful. He got to the bottom of it and I now have a hanger on order and I should get it in 4-6 weeks.

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikermitch View Post
    I just spoke with Patrick @ Raleigh Canada (The Diamondback Facebook page recommended this) 905-829-5555. He was super helpful. He got to the bottom of it and I now have a hanger on order and I should get it in 4-6 weeks.
    Great info. Might try calling to see if they can send a few to Australia.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Finally got new hangers in the mail today from
    Patrick @ Raleigh Canada
    905-829-5555

Wow that took forever.

Side note: Patrick is the man. I am sure he did the best he could with the resources he had available.
    Last edited by mtnbikermitch; 2 Days Ago at 03:45 PM.