Thread: Mason HT

mtbr member

Mason HT

Hold out for the Large...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bycyclist View Post
    Hold out for the Large...
    I agree. I'm 6'1" and the large is pretty spot on, I'd be too cramped on a medium.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Setup: The tires on the bike sucked and were quickly upgraded to maxxis ardents 2.4, this made a huge difference! I also swapped out the bars to a lighter red raceface bar that I had.
    Last edited by Andreuther; 01-08-2014 at 01:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I sure hope REI gets some larges in stock and I will pick it up right away.. I think it would work out for me based on everyone's thoughts. If not.. I guess I'll have to keep searching.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I am 6'2" and have been riding my XL for a couple of weeks. My personal belief is that the way the geometry is set up on this bike, you do not want to go too small. I tried the Large for me; and I had to put everything at max settings just to get close to fitting. JensonUSA may have your size and I think they will price match with REI. Also, when I ordered mine from REI, I got the very last XL and it took two weeks. You may want to contact REI, usually when they expect more of an item they will allow you to select from the drop down menu, and wait for it to come into stock. I do not see xl or l in the drop down menu. Lastly, call DiamondBack 800 number and ask them about where to get a Large. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah, I think I'm going to try to get a large instead. I contacted jenson last week for a price match, but they denied me since REI doesn't have a large in stock "The EXACT item has to be in stock and available to ship".. lame. I also contacted my local REI and he said he couldn't find any in their system. Just a couple mediums and 1 or 2 smalls. He said he is going to get in contact with their DB rep and see if they will be getting any more in sometime soon and to give him a call back later this week. Hopefully he can find something else out. I also contacted REI from online and she said that they don't have an estimated arrival for anymore at this time. I may give Diamondback a call as well. Thanks for your suggestions!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Listen!

I'm six foot, 32" inseam, 74" reach, and I had an XL and just got my Medium today. I felt the XL was too large. The Medium seems to fit fine other than I pulled the seat post out another two inches from the recommended line. Anyone know of a longer seat post?

I have 1.5" risers, a 40mm stem, and the bike still fits fine. The bike is way nimbler compared to the XL. In order to sit upright on either the M or XL I had to drop the post. Read my next post...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    And honestly guys, for me to even get comfortable on the XL, I had to extend everything. The seat was nearly maxed out. The geometry is funky on this thing, so no matter what that seat is gonna be be closed to maxed. The larger you go, the higher you are on the bike, the more hunched over you're going to be. My junk has room to move.

Plug in your specs on DB. You'd be surprised. I thought I'd need a large but I tweaked one number and I was recommended for the medium, large second. If you are on tighter stuff, and six foot, definitely go Medium.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm afraid you will probably have to wait until Diamondback releases the 2014 model. I work at a LBS that deals diamondbacks and we were told that the bike is sold out until next years bikes hit the market. Typically bikes debut at the end of summer, but sometimes earlier. On the bright side I have a hunch that the FS Mason will be in next years model line, and there might be some upgrades to the HT Mason. Either way you have a few months.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Can someone confirm that the mason has a standard 73 mm. BB .....?

also looking for stack numbers, for the L and XL frames with a 140 mm. fork

all info will be much apreciated

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yes it's 73mm.

As for sizing, I read this thread and another one and I don't even know where to start. It sounds like a couple of you really need a large and complaining that the medium and XL don't fit, of course they're not gonna fit if they're the wrong size. As for the geometry being "funky" and needing everything "maxed," have some of you been fitted before? I've been professionally fitted and can get correct seatpost extension on the large, and I have a 34" inseam, I still have about 20mm to go before I'm at the max line.

I raced an Enduro this past weekend and put over 50 miles on my Mason, on top of the ~300 miles I've already ridden on it. The race had a road gap, berms, 20+ foot doubles, drops, rock gardens, short steep climbs, tight singletrack and everything in between. Bottom line, this bike flat out takes everything you can throw at it. Most other racers were on 5-6" travel bikes including my two buddies and I was ripping past everyone. There were even a couple stages I posted faster times than a couple pro's on Prototype full suspension 650 bikes. I even have one of my friends considering selling his Fuel EX to pick up a Mason.

Quote Originally Posted by Endless Trail View Post
    Can someone confirm that the mason has a standard 73 mm. BB .....?

also looking for stack numbers, for the L and XL frames with a 140 mm. fork

all info will be much apreciated

mtbr member
    I suspect that some of the sizing issues stem from people's expectations for the feel of a bike, coming from traditional XC geo to AM geo. The bike should not feel like your XC bike.

At 6'2" with a 34" inseam, I am right at home on the XL, with a bit less than 2" to spare to minimum insertion. I'd strongly advise against undersizing and running the post at less than minimum. DB will not warranty your frame if you crack your seat tube as a result. The KS also has warnings about running your clamp at the minimum tension that prevents slipping, so as to not damage the seatpost. You will also put more stress over a smaller area of that post.

I just took a road trip, hitting the trails around Birmingham and Chatanooga, among other places. The bike feels right at home at Oak Mtn, Coldwater Mtn, and Tanasi. From the rocky DH on Blood Rock, to the expert rock tech of Boulder Ridge, the tabletops and rollers of Bomb Dog, the smooth descent down Thunder Rock Express, the Mason handled it all admirably. Numerous times I thought, "This is the perfect bike for this trail." Only a couple of times did I consider that a FS might be better suited for a section on the whole trip. For a bike in this middling price range, I think that is saying a lot.

I think it climbs very well too, both in seated and standing position. The only spot where it is less suited is in twisty, tight corridor riding, mostly due to bar width. I expected more of a trade off going to a relatively heavy, slack, and burly AM bike. Racer boi can keep featherweight long and steep XC rig. This is my kind of ride. I can still turn out expert loop times on this 'AM' bike anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    C'mon guys, let's get some pics in here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I second the request for pics.
    I am ready to purchase but it appears we have two guys like me, 5'10 with 32" inseam. One loves the med and the other loves the large. If it matters, I am about 200lbs. I would like to see a photo of the adjusted seat height for each of these folks. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
    I second the request for pics.
    I am ready to purchase but it appears we have two guys like me, 5'10 with 32" inseam. One loves the med and the other loves the large. If it matters, I am about 200lbs. I would like to see a photo of the adjusted seat height for each of these folks. Thanks.
    I depends on how/where you ride and past bikes you've owned and how they fit. But I'd probably recommend for you to bump up to a large. The frame is pretty true to size but the sloping top tube and short stem make it easier to size up then a traditional XC style frame. Here are a couple pic's of my bike (large) for reference, although I currently ride with the post just a bit higher to get better extension on longer climbs. I'm 6' 1 with a 34"

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    matt,
    thank you. that really helps. I ran a Spec Tricross in a large for a few years and it was fine. With this bike it appears that the LG and my 32in inseam will give me at least 5.5inches of total post. Thank you.
    I guess i will begin the hunt for a lg mason, if not...i wonder if any changes are set up for the 2014 mason.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hey Guys, I am ready to update my tires. Any insight? I have heard good things about running ardent 2.4 on both or 2.4 on front and maybe 2.25 ardent on back or 2.2 crossmarks? I ride in the pacific nw, but we have high desert conditions here also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Anyone warp their brakes? My front brake is less than six months old with a wobble already and I don't ride that aggressive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm still riding the medium fine. It's probably a tad small but the tech stuff I ride made the purchase worthwhile. When riding street I usually extend the seat post to the Dropzone label. About a 1cm below the recommended line.

Got Twins?
    Quote Originally Posted by maven.rogue View Post
    Hey Guys, I am ready to update my tires. Any insight? I have heard good things about running ardent 2.4 on both or 2.4 on front and maybe 2.25 ardent on back or 2.2 crossmarks? I ride in the pacific nw, but we have high desert conditions here also.
    I am currently riding an Ardent 2.25 on the back with a Geax Gato 2.3 up front. Both are tubeless. If you want more "comfort", then go with the 2.4. The tires worked great over the summer in Oregon. I prefer a tire that digs into the dirt front and rear on this bike. The stock Slant 6 was way to slick for me on the Mason.

HTH
    Let us Ride!

mtbr member

Re: Mason HT

I am loving the 2.4 Chunky Monkey up front. It's a grippier Ardent built on the same casing.

2.3 Spec Purgatory on rear is decent, but less traction than the Monkey.

Got Twins?
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    I am loving the 2.4 Chunky Monkey up front. It's a grippier Ardent built on the same casing.

2.3 Spec Purgatory on rear is decent, but less traction than the Monkey.
    Do you have the Chunky Monkey set up tubeless or tubed? I just picked up one of those for the Mason.
    Let us Ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Mason HT

So I was all set to snag a Yelli and then I ran across this bike with an unbelievable discount so saving me a lot of money and I can ride now rather than build later. I thought I was set on the medium but after reading all your posts I am not so sure. 5'10" 34" inseam ..... Anyone rocking a large close to that..... This will be my first bike with this geo....

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by becker999 View Post
    So I was all set to snag a Yelli and then I ran across this bike with an unbelievable discount so saving me a lot of money and I can ride now rather than build later. I thought I was set on the medium but after reading all your posts I am not so sure. 5'10" 34" inseam ..... Anyone rocking a large close to that..... This will be my first bike with this geo....
    Large will be fine. Price?

mtbr member

Re: Mason HT

Quote Originally Posted by l84biking View Post
    Do you have the Chunky Monkey set up tubeless or tubed? I just picked up one of those for the Mason.

Sorry, I missed this. I'm running tubes for now. I'm going to set up my fattie tubeless. If that goes well, then I'll likely switch the Mason too. Love this tire. Grips everything well.

Becker, your inseam says large, and the reach seems short on these, so I would go large. I have the same inseam and am 4 inches taller on an XL.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast