Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mason HT

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The question is how short a stem can I get? I think it comes with a 45mm. To be on the safe side and after seeing guys 5'10" happy with mediums....I recon I will go with a small frame. I'll put up some pictures with it in Bermuda when I get it. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the input...after seeing guys at 5'10" happy with the medium and the stand over height I'm going with a small. The stem is already 45mm so I don't know how much shorter they get. Hopefully will be posting some pictures soon with my new Mason in Bermuda!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    didn't mean to post the same thing twice.......but I cant wait to be the first in Bermi to have one!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Does anyone know if a 2.4 will fit on the back wheel of a mason?

gravity fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by matmattmatthew View Post
    Large
    If you don't mind, how tall are you? I'm 6'2" and can't decide if L or XL is the way to go. I hate e-sizing but no one carries the Mason near me (or DB in general, which sucks because their corporate offices are just a couple hours south of me)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm 5'6" and I've pulled the trigger on a small Mason. Had a hard time choosing the small but after reading other threads and seeing the short length (45mm) of the stem I figured it was the right move. Like you no one near me has one to compare.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hi guys. I have a some questions regarding this bike. I have Also been interested since I first saw it at interbike a few years back. I am curious how the ride is comfort wise of the mason. I have a monocog 29 modded to a 1x10 i love how smooth the steel frame feels. I have ridden the diamondback overdrive it was really harsh. harsh meaning vibration went straight to my body. I am wondering do guys feel the bike is harsh in anyway. or pretty smooth ? ive considered the honzo for the comfort, but the mason is a good value with dropper post. That is really my one hesitation to buy this bike. Thanks

Addicted
    May 2006
    I've been on a bit of a kick lately to put together another hardtail. I started hunting around and was thinking I'd go for a VooDoo Bokor 1 to mount up some Spank 650b wheels I have here and then my DB sales rep came in. I asked a few questions being that the frameset isn't listed on the dealer site; a few days later my frame showed up.

Unfortunately, it will probably be late May/Early June before I get the bike together. I have almost all the parts, I just don't have time. The frame is hanging out here at the shop and with working 10-12 hour days I get to stare at it all day long. My spare time is filled with volunteer work/trail building/racing so it'll be a while.

Build list is basically a XT hubs on Spank Subrosa rims, XT brakes, XTR crank with custom 28t or 30t spline-drive sprocket, XTR 9speed cassette, Sram XO shifter and derailleur, FOX Float RL 130mm fork, Ardent 2.24 rear/2.4 front, Spank Oozy stem, Spank Subrosa handlebars. It came with a KS DropZone seatpost but at 5'11" with a 35.5" inseem the post is too short. I have a spare Reverb and Kronolog hanging out that will probably make it on. If I end up riding the bike a whole lot I'll swap the KS LEV post from my Pivot. I'm trying to keep this as a budget built thrasher bike so I gathered some parts that are a bit out dated or won't work on my other bikes.

Ignore the messy workbench. I was trying to grab a picture between repairs. Ignore the fork as well, it came in the same day for my Pivot 5.7c and so I used it to prop up the front end.

Butts Up Fast!
    Are you planning to build this as a 27.5?

Addicted
    May 2006
    Nope. The bottom bracket would be terribly low. I've got a 29er Fox Float sitting here along with some 29" Spank Subrosa rims.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I am about to purchase a Mason and am also 6'2", I rode a large today and I am leaning towards a XL and going with a shorter stem. What did you go with Mikecito? Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What did you go with, I am on the bubble too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecito View Post
    If you don't mind, how tall are you? I'm 6'2" and can't decide if L or XL is the way to go. I hate e-sizing but no one carries the Mason near me (or DB in general, which sucks because their corporate offices are just a couple hours south of me)

gravity fighter
    I'm saving my cash for a full suspension, but I'm keeping an eye on the prices. If they start blowing them out, I might pull the trigger on an xl with a super short stem. It looks like such a fun bike!

mtbr member

Re: Mason HT

Quote Originally Posted by bmxconvert View Post
    I've been on a bit of a kick lately to put together another hardtail. I started hunting around and was thinking I'd go for a VooDoo Bokor 1 to mount up some Spank 650b wheels I have here and then my DB sales rep came in. I asked a few questions being that the frameset isn't listed on the dealer site; a few days later my frame showed up.

Unfortunately, it will probably be late May/Early June before I get the bike together. I have almost all the parts, I just don't have time. The frame is hanging out here at the shop and with working 10-12 hour days I get to stare at it all day long. My spare time is filled with volunteer work/trail building/racing so it'll be a while.

Build list is basically a XT hubs on Spank Subrosa rims, XT brakes, XTR crank with custom 28t or 30t spline-drive sprocket, XTR 9speed cassette, Sram XO shifter and derailleur, FOX Float RL 130mm fork, Ardent 2.24 rear/2.4 front, Spank Oozy stem, Spank Subrosa handlebars. It came with a KS DropZone seatpost but at 5'11" with a 35.5" inseem the post is too short. I have a spare Reverb and Kronolog hanging out that will probably make it on. If I end up riding the bike a whole lot I'll swap the KS LEV post from my Pivot. I'm trying to keep this as a budget built thrasher bike so I gathered some parts that are a bit out dated or won't work on my other bikes.

Ignore the messy workbench. I was trying to grab a picture between repairs. Ignore the fork as well, it came in the same day for my Pivot 5.7c and so I used it to prop up the front end.

Ummmm messy work bench??? Where? Cleanest bench I have ever seen......lol

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I am still having that age old challenge with picking a size. I rode the Large and it felt a little small. I was lucky enough to have a local mechanic ride his in and let me ride. I cannot find a extra large to ride. My concern with going with an extra large is that the stem is so short, I cannot adjust much and also the bike has a different geometry than most bikes I have ridden. Also, if it does not work out, I have to return and order a large. I am 6'2" and have about a 33 inseam. The mechanic suggested going with the Large(they are more available through this shop) and adding a larger stem. Any insight from guys that have one or have rode one for awhile? Thank you much!

mtbr member

Mason HT

I've had my Medium for a couple of weeks now and absolutely love how it rides - it far exceeded what I was hoping!

After following the recommended sizing on DBs website,
    I bought a Medium frame set and built it up, a 1x9 trail bike with 120mm fork, ending weight currently at 27lbs. I'm 5' 10" with a 31/32 inseam and found the Medium to be almost too small for me. I'm running a 100mm stem, the dropper post is extended to minimum insertion point, and my seat is slammed all the way back on its rails. Setup like this, it works really well for me, but in hindsight I wish I got a Large as to give me more options with my cockpit components.

I love the Mason so much I may end up getting Large frame set and selling my Medium. If you lean towards longer ETT on your bikes, I recommend sizing up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Great input, really appreciate it. You confirmed what I am hearing from others. After a challenge with REI, I finally secured an XL. During my transaction I found out it was the last one. I should have it by next Wednesday. I can't wait. Did you stay with standard 1 x 10 or did you add a granny gear?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Oh, I see you went with a 1 x 9.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat56 View Post
    Does anyone know if a 2.4 will fit on the back wheel of a mason?
    Yes. I have 2.4 Ardents on my Mason and there is room to spare in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikecito View Post
    I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. The large is a perfect fit for me, but it I were between sizes like some of you I would probably go up a size and run a 40-50mm stem. This kind of bike really shines with a short stem and wide bars. I actually swapped out the stock 60mm stem with a 50mm and it's been perfect. I think a stem any longer than 50-60mm wouldn't allow you to maximize the aggressive nature of the frame/bike.

If anything, my only issue on sizing is actually the seat tube length. Because of my longish inseam relative to my height I'm riding with the seatpost maxed out. It's not enough to warrant going up a size but I'm right at the max extension line on the post.

Quote Originally Posted by bycyclist View Post
    I've had my Medium for a couple of weeks now and absolutely love how it rides - it far exceeded what I was hoping!

After following the recommended sizing on DBs website,
    I bought a Medium frame set and built it up, a 1x9 trail bike with 120mm fork, ending weight currently at 27lbs. I'm 5' 10" with a 31/32 inseam and found the Medium to be almost too small for me. I'm running a 100mm stem, the dropper post is extended to minimum insertion point, and my seat is slammed all the way back on its rails. Setup like this, it works really well for me, but in hindsight I wish I got a Large as to give me more options with my cockpit components.

I love the Mason so much I may end up getting Large frame set and selling my Medium. If you lean towards longer ETT on your bikes, I recommend sizing up.
    Interesting stuff on the build, my OEM fork drops down to 120 but I have never taken it out of the 140mm setting, even on extended climbs. If I ever upgrade the fork I will probably go with one that is fixed at 140 because it just rides so nice at that height.

That's a bummer about the sizing, I think you'd like the bike even more if you could ride it with a shorter stem.

I need to take some time and do a follow up to my original post. I really love the bike, it's more fun and agile than I was expecting and is comfortable for everything from the pump track to 25 mile XC rides. I've put about 175 miles on the bike and have noticed a lot of things, almost all positive. It's really a fantastic bike and I have no regrets going with a hardtail over a FS. I'm actually racing an Enduro with it in a couple weeks and I think it will really shine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I got pretty lucky, mt DB sales rep said that there were only 3 mediums left and I was able to snag one up before they were gone. I also ordered two 2.4 Ardents. I also ordered a Sram X0 gripshift (out of curiosity), I plan on riding the rest as stock for now. Cant wait till it gets here. Chico, CA has some pretty brutal climbs and fun descents that I plan on testing the bike on.

Also, anyone using the stock brakes? I have heard mixed reviews on the elixer 5's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreuther View Post
    I got pretty lucky, mt DB sales rep said that there were only 3 mediums left and I was able to snag one up before they were gone. I also ordered two 2.4 Ardents. I also ordered a Sram X0 gripshift (out of curiosity), I plan on riding the rest as stock for now. Cant wait till it gets here. Chico, CA has some pretty brutal climbs and fun descents that I plan on testing the bike on.

Also, anyone using the stock brakes? I have heard mixed reviews on the elixer 5's.
    I had originally planned to ride the bike stock, the stock build was one of the biggest reasons I bought the Mason. But I ended up swapping a lot of parts out right from the start. I've run Formula brakes on all my bikes since 2007 so I swapped out the stock brakes for Formula The Ones. I also scored a set of E.13 wheels so I swapped out the stock wheels after 2 rides. I also had bars, stem, seat and crankset from another build so I swapped all of those over. In hindsight, I probably should have just purchased the frameset, but when I ordered the bike it wasn't available.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I am still patiently waiting for my mason to arrive to REI. I am being cautiosly optimistic and trying not to get too excited, in attempt to limit my possible disappointment; and in part if the xl does not fit correctly, since my adjustment options are limited and there does not seem to be a large stock of larges. A little skinny of a frugal purchase.... according to local REI representative this bike is going to go on sale for the REI annervisity sale on 4/17/13. What this means if you buy within 30 day window you can get the price honored. So if you are looking for a small or medium you may want to pull the trigger to take advantage. You will not get the dividend for the purchase at the end of the year but will save some green up front. Also, even though I am not a big credit card guy, I signed up for the REI card. This gives me 5% back on the Mason purchase at the end of the year, and a $100 gift card I can use for possible accessories. Crossing my fingers the bike shows up soon and more importantly fits.

mtbr member

Mason HT

My Large Mason frame should be here by Monday, so after I get that built up and checked out size wise, I'll be selling my Medium frameset.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I already ordered the bike, the LBS I work for is a dealer so I got it for a price that would make you all cry. I also just picked up some red raceface turbine handlebars and a titanium railed saddle. The bike, tires, and gripshift will be here on monday. Reviews and pics to come.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    anyone had more of a chance to ride the mason? Thoughts?

I'm on the edge of picking it up at REI for their price right now, but cannot make up my mind. Only issue is, I think I might be too big for a medium frame.. but cant find a large either. So, I might just buy it and if it is entirely too small just return it. I'm 6'1" with a 31.5"-32" inseam, I think I am good for the stand over on the medium, but Im worried about the cockpit being a tad too small.. but like others said, no way to really test it out. just have to pull the trigger and hope for the best!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast