mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Mason FS Pro Sortie 3 Mission Pro Feedback

I have a nice opportunity to pick up one of these bikes for about $3500 and unfortunately will not be able to demo one ahead of time. I'd love some feedback on anyone well versed on these models. I am a heavy and aggressive rider at 240# My inclination is the Mason FS as I am less endure and more x-country but I'd love some feedback and anyone who has been able to compare any of these models.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have ridden all three bikes and that being said I own a sortie. I chose the sortie because I felt it climbed better than the other two options but still descended well. On my sortie I have it set up more like a Mason though with a shorter stem, wider bars, and wider tires.

You being 240 I would agree with your inclination and probably push you toward the Mason FS. The frame is much stiffer, the wheels are better, and the 34 front fork will be better for you than the 32 that comes on the sortie. It won't climb as efficiently but it will be more fun going down and I think will support you better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thank you for the feedback. After speaking to a few LBS's and calling diamondback, I decided on a Mission 2 27.5. Look for me to post feedback on this new ride when it arrives!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The new Mission 27.5 series are sick bikes!! I think you'll be more than happy with the choice.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just got my mission one 27.5 from the pro deal and put together yesterday. The bike is sick. I was worried about the longer chain stays, but the bike is so comfortable and nimble. After about 10 minutes I was having no problem doing manuals or getting the front wheel up. Want to take it out on some real trails but it's been pouring.

It did not come with a shock pump, luckily my previous shocks did. So you may want to grab one if needed.