Thread: M80 Disc?

mtbr member

M80 Disc?

Anyone else have an M80 disc? I have one and like it, I was just curious what others thought of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddy
    Anyone else have an M80 disc? I have one and like it, I was just curious what others thought of it.
    My girlfriend has a M80. Its her first "real" mountain bike. She loves how it handles and rides. The only thing she had an issue with was she didnt really like the disc's. She was convinced that Vbrakes were better

mtbr member
    May 2004

Good job!

I've got an M-80 disc and like it a lot. I have over nine hundred miles on it since last spring. I ride mostly XC and I rode in the winter (16 degrees, ice and snow).

mtbr member
    May 2004

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by monty797
    My girlfriend has a M80. Its her first "real" mountain bike. She loves how it handles and rides. The only thing she had an issue with was she didnt really like the disc's. She was convinced that Vbrakes were better

I find myself descending pretty steep trails and riding in wet conditions. The disc's do not fade or slip which I greatly appreciate. I also find that my rear tire seldom skids. Recently I replaced a couple of broken spokes which had my wheel out of alignment. The slightly warped wheel had no effect on my braking and I was able to ride until I could get it to the shop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjfp
    I find myself descending pretty steep trails and riding in wet conditions. The disc's do not fade or slip which I greatly appreciate. I also find that my rear tire seldom skids. Recently I replaced a couple of broken spokes which had my wheel out of alignment. The slightly warped wheel had no effect on my braking and I was able to ride until I could get it to the shop.
    Since we've last rode, she has put about 100 miles on the bike. She has gotten used to how the disc's stop her and likes it alot now. Overall I think its a GREAT bike for the money involved. We found a 2003 model for sale which is identical to this years for $280. We could not pass that up, with the level of components and disc's of a bike equal to $500+.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I looked at Kona's, Gary Fischer's, etc. but this was the best deal for the money. I would like to upgrade in the next year or so but I have other priorities. This bike has more then paid for itself for what I have gotten out of it. When I do upgrade I have been considering a Specialized but I will keep my options open.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have considered upgrading the the wheels. I have Alex dh18s (stock). I am not sure how universal disc wheels are. I would also consider larger rotors if they would be compatible with the m475 calipers. My rear caliper got particularly hot last summer when I was going down a steep/long ski slope.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Good job! M80 Warranteed to M80 Disc

I bought an M80 in 1998 and rode it to work in NYC every day until 11/2003 when I discovered that the head tube had a hairline crack. I had only ridden it off-road about a dozen times, maybe. I checked with my Raleigh dealer (Frank's Bike Shop) where I bought the bike and they confirmed that Raleigh would warranty the frame if it was indeed defective. I brought it down to Frank's and he said that it probably had a bubble in it or something and that's why the crack developed. He called the rep and they ordered me a new replacement frame. The new frame has the new internal headset which they included at no charge and also the rear disc brake tab that the 1998 frame didn't have. It took over 2 months to get the new frame, but it is a beauty.....all black with no decals or head badge. Nacho is the warranty guy at Raleigh that I dealt with and he's pretty cool. I barely have any original parts on the bike, but it is a great frame with nice geometry and so was the 1998.

My M80 build:

White Brothers SC90 fork (awesome)
    Azonic riser bars
    XT shifter/lever combo
    XT Disc hubs w/Rhyno Lite rims
    XT V Brakes
    WTB Motoraptor tires 2.1
    USE XCR Alien suspension seatpost
    Specialized Body Geometry Comp Saddle
    XT rear der
    Shimano 535 pedals

stock BB, stem, cranks, cassette.