Rogue Exterminator

Looking to upgrade the fork on my Overdrive

Got the REI $460 special with the crappy Suntour XCT and as anyone would know, that pogo stick is the first thing that has to go.

I am looking at a fork that is set at 120mm travel but can be converted down to 100mm (also 80).

Will 120mm work with this bike or should I convert it back down to 100mm travel?

Let the good times roll.
    If it can be converted, thy the different settings and see what you like best. Increasing travel 20mm over stock usually doesn't mess up handling too bad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I agree. I do like my XCT forks but an upgrade recommendation would be good for just trail riding.

Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh View Post
    If it can be converted, thy the different settings and see what you like best. Increasing travel 20mm over stock usually doesn't mess up handling too bad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Do you know if the XCT on the Overdrive tapered or straight?

mtbr member

Have you considered X-Fusion Slide?

I upgraded the stock XCR fork on my Overdrive Sport to X-Fusion Slide RL2 (White). Here's the link where I got it from: BuyCycleStuffOnline. Here's how it looks like after the upgrade:
    Overdrive Sport with X-Fusion Slide

Easily the best $255 I spent on my bike.

BTW, this fork has three travel settings (internal spacers): 80, 100 and 120. The one I got is set to 100mm; the same travel as the pogo stick it replaced.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by damigguds View Post
    Do you know if the XCT on the Overdrive tapered or straight?
    AFAIK its straight 1 1/8.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I also got the Slide, but I got the black with the remote lockout. I have a black/white 2012 Overdrive 12, and the black with white graphics matches the overdrive frame beyond perfectly - the fonts etc.are a better match than the original fork.

I was shocked at how bad the XCT fork worked - much worse than on my 8 year old $179-new F.S. mongoose bike! The slide is day-and-night. I've never had an air/oil fork, so not much to compare it too, but it makes the bike work the way is should, unlike the stock fork.

My bike definitely had a 1-1/8" straight steerer.

The only complaint I have so far is that the lockout is not 100%, more like 90%. Not sure if mine is defective or they are all like this. I am 260lbs so that might have something to do with it ; )

I bought my fork from the same seller listed above, and had a very satisfactory experience.

Dave

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsNow View Post
    I also got the Slide, but I got the black with the remote lockout. I have a black/white 2012 Overdrive 12, and the black with white graphics matches the overdrive frame beyond perfectly - the fonts etc.are a better match than the original fork.

I was shocked at how bad the XCT fork worked - much worse than on my 8 year old $179-new F.S. mongoose bike! The slide is day-and-night. I've never had an air/oil fork, so not much to compare it too, but it makes the bike work the way is should, unlike the stock fork.

My bike definitely had a 1-1/8" straight steerer.

The only complaint I have so far is that the lockout is not 100%, more like 90%. Not sure if mine is defective or they are all like this. I am 260lbs so that might have something to do with it ; )

I bought my fork from the same seller listed above, and had a very satisfactory experience.

Dave
    I realize this is an old post but are you still liking the RL2 fork?