mtbr member

Just got my 2010 Mission 1

So after riding my recoil for nearly 2 years I decided to upgrade. I ordered a 2010 mission 1 through giantnerd and got it in about a week. It arrived yesterday and I've been tinkering with it ever since. This thing is plush, the frame is awesome. I can't wait to take it on its first ride so I can dial in the suspension. I must say though, the rims are kinda cheap. It has open bearing hubs and the weinman rims are the same crappy ones that came on my recoil. I know they won't last long but I can always upgrade. Now I just need to sell my recoil so I can offset some of the cost of the mission.

My old recoil.

mtbr member
    congrats, looks awesome!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    sweet looking bike! I'm thinking about getting this or the M2... What size frame did you get and what are your height and inseam stats? I'm 5'8.5" with a ~31" inseam and have tried both size bikes, but they both felt fairly comfortable. With a little tweaking I'm sure I could dial them in prefectly. But I haven't been able to ride them on a trail, so I'm looking for feedback from actual owners.... thanks for any insight you can provide!

mtbr member
    I got the XL, 21" . I'm 6 foot 1 inch, so I needed something bigger. It still has an upright riding position though.

13 yrs old in my own mind
    Very nice, I like the color a lot.

...................also very Jealous, maybe next year

I am very interested in Diamondback selling MISSION frames sets.

Since I have some killer parts on my RECOIL I would like to just move them to a MISSION frame.
    Too many hobbies and not the proper income to support them all. Where's my karma boat?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have the same exact bike, xl and all. Great upgrade! The wheels arent too great. Im in the process of upgrading mine with fox float 36 forks with 20mm thru axle, king earl cranks, and some better wheels/hubs (havent got the wheels yet). Im finding the build parts on these M1's is more "hd" xc vs true all mountain. I pulled the bottom bracket out yesterday and there is a sticker saying xc use only. But anyway Ive rode the snot out of mine (230lbs) and havent had any issue. Congrats!

mtbr member
    Finally took her out on her first ride this morning. Didn't get to have as much fun as I'd like to, my favorite trail was closed and dozed over so I had to ride another trail nearby. Not a good way to start my morning. But, the bike rides pretty good. I had a little too much air in the rear shock, I'll have to play with that later. I must say this about the bike though, it climbs like a tank. This thing is a pig going uphill compared to my recoil. Now I just need to get my legs used to the extra weight.

mtbr member
    Rat- CONGRATS! Interesting you got the XL- I got the L and I am 6' even. but it fits me really really well, and the top tube is just right for me. Go figure on that one. Different strokes for different folks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    sweet

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Looks awesome man. I just got my 2011 Mission 1 today and love it so far.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    how does sitting on the mission differ from your recoil reason for asking is i just sat on a recoil and didnt like the way it felt. was thinking about getting the mission and wanted to know if sitting on the mission felt better than sitting on the recoil. if possible can uou take a picture of the two side by side so i can see the frame differences.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey47 View Post
    how does sitting on the mission differ from your recoil reason for asking is i just sat on a recoil and didnt like the way it felt. was thinking about getting the mission and wanted to know if sitting on the mission felt better than sitting on the recoil. if possible can uou take a picture of the two side by side so i can see the frame differences.
    The Recoil and Mission are night and day different. The Recoil has a lower end coil fork/shock and feels like your sitting on a pogo stick. The Mission has a Fox Air Fork/Shock and feels like your sitting on a cloud in comparison. The frame ergonomics and sizing are completely different. I went with a medium Mission, whereas a recoil I could go large.

Let the good times roll.
    I can't answer your question directly, but don't worry about what a bike feels like when you sit on it. Feel on the trail is what really matters, and the only way to experience that is with a test ride. Then you can evaluate the suspension, geometry, and fit as a complete package to see if it's what you want. If no trail demo bikes are available, at least ask the dealer to let you go around the parking lot. Or just have faith in all the internet reviews that say the Mission is one of the sweetest bikes in its class.

Also keep in mind that changing handlebars, stem, and saddle position will have a large effect on how a bike feels both when sitting on it a on the trail.

Singletrack Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey47 View Post
    Sitting on a bike don't mean squat!!! lmao The Mission vs Recoil is not a contest. Night and day diference in suspension design and performance...Just look at the bike on the website. r we really that lazy...
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

13 yrs old in my own mind
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles View Post
    Sitting on a bike don't mean squat!!! lmao The Mission vs Recoil is not a contest. Night and day diference in suspension design and performance....
    What he said, but will ad as the RECOIL and MISSIONs are geared towards two different price points and areas.

RECOIL: in-expensive TRAIL bike 4" travel (capable of being upgraded with no issues)

MISSION: All-Mountain 6" travel (what hasn't been said? I am been drooling over one for a while now)

I never really rode my RECOIL in stock configuration. I instantly swapped in a 120mm fork and fox float and everything else and it felt great, rode nice and did everything I wanted to, pointing in any direction I wanted to go. .........I adjusted and built the bike to my size and specs.

I am going to do the same thing once I get my new MISSION frame. "Build it and adjust it to my specs."

It is rare you can sit on a pre build and say it is 100% set for you.

Total sidetrack here though, I have yet to walk into a LBS here in the Denver area and see a Diamondback Mission on the floor to sit on and test?????????????????????

I have seen RECOILS but have yet to see a MISSION...........................

Maybe I should start a small business building custom DB's in a mobile setup around my area.............................................. ............

So back to the original starter of this thread, Desert_Rat, had any more time on the MISSION yet?
    Too many hobbies and not the proper income to support them all. Where's my karma boat?

Need More Bikes
    Nice purchase! I got the same bike a couple weeks back, took it for the first real ride Saturday and I love it. Amazing bike. It's definitely bumped my ability level compared to my hardtail 29er.

mtbr member
    It's very hard to compare the two bikes since they are both completely different animals. The mission is much more plush but the recoil was also a great bike once I upgraded the suspension. The recoil definitely climbs better though. So far, I love the mission much more, mostly because it is very rocky here in AZ and the extra travel helps a lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Is there a big difference between the 2011 mission 1 and 2?
    Thanks