mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Identify age of Diamondback Sorrento

I just bought a used Diamondback Sorrento and would like to know the age. Is there a serial # decoder? Doesn't look like the Diamondback website will be much help.
    It is a 21 speed with front shocks and quick-release wheels and seat. Thanks.
    Last edited by ker1ker; 03-29-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Screwed up Title

Singletrack Slayer

Need more info

What color is it? A pic would be most helpful. Maybe with good decripsion we could help, and the SN# would also help me,

John Galt
    Pictures will be a huge help - paint schemes are often unique to model years and components can help a lot (canti brakes vs. v-brakes, etc).

That being said, you may be able to date the components on it using this site:

http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm#shimano

Note that components built in 1997, for example, might be on a 1997 or 1998 model year bike, but you'll have a pretty good feel for the build date (within about a year)...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Identify age of Diamondback Sorrento - details

Bike is so grimy right now that I need to wash it and then will put pics up. Add'l details are:
    - Shimano 21 speed & rear derailleur says 7SIS with the 7 being a large red numeral
    - Front forks are suspension RST 156 LA
    - Wheels are Weinman 520 and are 26x1.5x1.75
    - saddle/seat is Avenir
    I found a pic at bikepedia that looks very much like it except my bike is gray.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Serial #s

I have the serial # and am happy to post but have seen cautions elsewhere about posting serial #s though I'm not sure what the issue would be for older bikes like mine? If nothing significant, I would be happy to post it. Is there some trick to decoding them? Mine doesn't seem to have any obvious model year digits in it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It definitely looks like you have an 01 Sorrento. According to Bikepedia, 2001 was the last time they made a gray Sorrento.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I have an older DB Sorrento Black frame with yellow and blue lettering. I think I bought it in 95. But can't remember for certain. Can anyone tell me if this is a 95? Trying to find a chain for it. I would like to get it road worth again. Thank you