mtbr member
    Jun 2014

I Need help choosing a diamomdback bike.

I'm buying my first bike since 1993 so I need some advice on what to choose since a lot has changed since then. I am eligible to receive a major discount on a diamondback bike and I'm trying to figure out which one to go with. So I'm hoping you guys can help.

Let's first start with a little background. I'm 30+ years old and I'm looking for a multi-use bike. I will be using it to commute 5 miles a day to work while pulling a kids trailer on the back, its mostly bike paths with lots of rolling hills. I also ride rail2trails and usually ride 75+ miles a year on them. I also live near a couple decent single tracks and wouldn't mind having a bike that would handle them nicely. So what ever I choose needs to be a work horse. I do indoor cycling daily and will be using spd pedals on the the bike if it matters.

My budget is only 500.00 I know that doesn't sound like a lot by that's all I have to spend on this right now. With my discount I have narrowed down to 3 diamondback bikes. Either the axis 27.5, the overdrive sport, or the trace comp. All bikes are the 2014 models.

So my question to you guys is there a consensus out their of which one of these 3 is the best for my use case.

Ohh one last thing, I'm sure most of you will probably tell me to test ride them all and pick which one that will work best for me, but its really not an option for me. Neither of my LBSs carry diamondbacks and there is no dealer close to me other than ***** sporting goods which doesn't carry these models in store.
    Thanks in advance,

Cj

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    From a test ride standpoint, trying the regular overdrive at your local ***** or Sports Authority will give you an almost identical impression to the OD sport. There isn't a whole lot that's different in terms of a first impression and feel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

I Need help choosing a diamomdback bike.

You can ride the response xe 29er at *****...it's an overdrive more or less, with lesser components. Similar frame and all that...slightly different than the 2014s, but pretty darn close. I'd get an overdrive sport. Should have hydro brakes, and decent components, plus a lockout on the fork. I like the 29ers much more than the 27.5ers, however, both have pros and cons, but 29ers are my preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Just built a 2014 Overdrive Sport. Really nice bike for the money. Unfortunately you're not going to get much help on the paved trails/roads on that bike.

The Trace Comp is a true dual purpose bike. Probably more road friendly than trail friendly. But if the single tracks aren't too knarly, shouldn't be a problem. Recently built a Trace XT. Really neat bike. If you could swing a little extra? Then the Trace XT would DEFINITELY be the bike for you...
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    So I eliminated the axis 27.5 off the short list. I just don't see the advantage of the 27.5. So its down to the overdrive sport or the trace comp. I just looked at the trace xt but even at my discounted price of $720 for its too far out of my current budget for me. My other problem is the trace comp is out of stock direct from diamondback so unless it come in stock soon my only option will be the overdrive sport. I appreciate your guys input and I'm shooting to make the purchase before the end of the week.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Might look a little abnormal. But you could always swap out the Wolverine tires off the overdrive sport for more of a pavement friendly set of rubber. Like a Slant Six tire that comes on the Trace XT
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I was actually thinking along the same lines if I find a problem with the wolverines, work is only 5 Miles away so it may not be to bad. I'm more concerned with the toddler trailer attached to the back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The 1.80" Slant Six tires will be much more what you need.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Re: I Need help choosing a diamomdback bike.

My DB Overdrive sport was delivered yesterday and I finished putting her together this afternoon. I can not believe how much bike I got for less than $400! This bike blows me away. Everything on the bike works wonderfully, fit is perfect and it looks great! I can't wait to hit some trails this weekend! Thank you guys for helping me figure out which one to go with.

Here are a couple photos of the completed bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Hello

Hey! First post on these forums, glad to be here.

So back to op I myself just ordered a DB overdrive. I have been doing many hours of research on many bikes $500 less. Went with the Overdrive. Seems to fit almost all the reasonable needs of the users. And I would say going just some slimmed down tires for the overdrive would do just fine.

Note: for my main use of the bike will be mountain biking with road use here and there. Don't know if that biases my advice at all

EDIT, Cool you got the overdrive!
    Last edited by KENdaman; 07-02-2014 at 06:12 PM. Reason: haha your post on you buying the overdrive never showed up for a while

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Very cool! Glad I could help.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by PSUnexus View Post
    My DB Overdrive sport was delivered yesterday and I finished putting her together this afternoon. I can not believe how much bike I got for less than $400! This bike blows me away. Everything on the bike works wonderfully, fit is perfect and it looks great! I can't wait to hit some trails this weekend! Thank you guys for helping me figure out which one to go with.

Here are a couple photos of the completed bike.

Do you like the fork on the overdrive? I heard iffy reviews on it, cant wait to try it out myself. Still shipping to me
    -Diamondback Overdrive 29er '14 would be mine

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Re: I Need help choosing a diamomdback bike.

Quote Originally Posted by KENdaman View Post
    Do you like the fork on the overdrive? I heard iffy reviews on it, cant wait to try it out myself. Still shipping to me
    I don't have much to compare it to, but I think it works alright for what it is. I have the preload set pretty high and the overdrive sport model has the lock out on the fork so I have it set to about 80% or so. This keeps the front pretty stiff but it still has some cushioning affect.

A lot of people knock these forks because they are an entry level spring loaded fork and I totally get that an air fork is much better. However if you can only afford a bike with a spring fork then you could do much worse than the ones that come on the overdrive. I set my expectations pretty low for the fork's performance however I'm pleasantly surprised so far. Although I'll admit with no preload and the fork set to full open it was very soft and pogo sticky.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Honestly my biggest complaint so far is that none of the overdrive's have the frame mounts for a rear rack. This makes the bike very hard to convert to a commuter although its not impossible. I've basically purchased a couple p-clips and ordered an adaptor to mount the top of the rack directly to the seat post and I'll use the p-clips to attach the base the rack to the seat stays.