mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Help with response xe

So.....I picked up a response xe on a trade (In my eyes it went really well in my favor). Anyways it is a 2011 and never been ridden. I plan to keep this for long time. I wont ever ride enough to justify anything better. I will slowly up grade it till its completely upgraded.

So, my question is...where do I start. There is so much stuff to look at and I'm new to bikes so I have no clue. I know the components are crap on this thing as well as pretty much everything else.

what do you guys think I should get first or where do I start.

If your not going to give me legit upgrades and just tell me to get a new bike you can not waste your time and gtfo.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Start with the pedals, after that. Change parts as the stock parts wear out. Though you can put a decent wheelset and tires and take the weight down substantially.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well I was reading that this bike has a 7 speed free hub something or other.....Should I stick with that? or go to something different. I read that it effects the wheel set you get. Also recommend any good cheap wheel sets?

mtbr member
    7 speed cassette is easy to swap out to an 8 speed if you have to tools and you can still use the same rear derailler just adjust the limiter screw to allow for and extra cog.
    The free hub is what you attach the cassette to, but is part of the rear hub which is part of the rear wheel, you can keep the 7 and still change the wheel.

The wheelset i put on my response was a mavic crossride disc, made a big difference and are not too expensive. search it online as you can get very good deals on this set.

mtbr member
    (assuming you already ditched the temporary plastic pedals) I would go:
    Fork>Stem/Bars> Wheels/Tires> 2x9 drivetrain (x7 is a great value)> Crank/BB> Brakes

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the info guys. The first thing I am ditching is the pedals. To me it's pretty light so the rims can stay for a bit. I was thinking first thing to replace would be drivetrain then brakes......What is your reasoning behind fork first.

Also anyone wanna help me list out what exactly I need and what brand to get. I plan to do most of this myself to learn and well to save money. I have a friend that knows bikes and will help me out

Again thanks for the info

mtbr member
    The fork is just super entry-level.. no adjustments whatsoever.. its also pretty heavy and not very stiff.
    Im a pretty aggressive rider though, so it may get you by for a while if your more of the casual mtb type.. I'd just be afraid of snapping it off on a big drop or rock garden.. but thats why I run a Fox 36.

As for when you do upgrade the fork.. I'd reccomend trying to find a used (in good condition, possibly recently serviced) Rockshox Pike.. ive seen them for around 200 on craigslist. Really kinda depends on the terrain and type of riding you do too.. could probably get by with a Tora or Recon as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I looked at both a Tora and Recon. I will check out a Pike too. When I get a new fork does it have to be 100mm Travel like whats on there or can I got more? Also when I get new wheels can I get ones that will work with a 7, 8, and 9 speed cassett or are they speed specific?

Thanks again for the help guys. Seems like if you ask a question in any other sub forum on here they tell you you need to throw this bike away and spend 5k on a new frame alone lol (Slight exaggeration there)

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    bump up...did you do any upgrades?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nah.....I rode it till it started to fall apart....Kiddo cam along so I haven't rode yet this year. I have a Canfield Yelli Screamy Frame on the way though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I liked mtbing and rode way more than I thought I would (till the kid was born anyway)! I initially thought slowly upgrading that thing would be enough. I never imgined I would enjoy riding so much. SO now buying/building a new bike makes more sense