mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Help me Identify two vintage Diamondbacks

I have a friend a long-distance for me that has two Diamondbacks and his storage shed. They have been there for 20-plus years period he would like to either sell them or give them to me. He had a hard time trying to find the model number and I'm not sure that what he gave me is correct. Here are the identifying names on the bikes. Both say Camo. One has OX and the other has AVR on them as well

I have not seen the bikes because they are 800 miles away. I'm trying to determine what these bikes are but I find nothing on the internet. I'm not sure if he gave me all the pertinent information. Thanks for any help you can render

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    just have him take a picture?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Difficult for him. I think the storage unit is completely full and these are at the rear. I don't think there's much room for him to move around. I will see if he will go back for more info or pictures thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The paint scheme can pretty much help you nail the year & model.
    In the "old" days, the bikes were different paint jobs for different levels even though frames were identical.
    The stickers on the frames are often for the steel tubes used and sometimes the brands geometry name. So that info really isn't helpful figuring out the year or model often.
    Last edited by bloaker; 03-01-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Cycologist
    Googling "diamond back camo avr" brings up "The 1993 Diamondback Overdrive is a mountain bike with a steel True Temper AVR frame" so I think bloaker is correct, those "names" are just identifying the steel used (OX is also a True Temper steel). The model name is usually on the top tube, should be easier to see than the steel type labels he read, they are usually on the seat tube.

He's going to have to dig them out sometime if he's planning on selling them. Are we even sure they are mountain bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.