Thread: Hammerschmit

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Hammerschmit

I was thinking of selling the Hammerschmit off my 09 Mission 3. I love it but don't really need it. I feel it adds weight that I don't need. I would love to here from others out there about what they feel the advantages are of the hammerschmit. Weight and maintenence being what I consider a weakness.
    Thanks

Let the good times roll.
    I considered getting Hammerschmidt, but decided not to. Instant shifting, even under load, seems to be the biggest advantage. That's not useful to me because I usually only shift chainrings a few times each ride. Hammerschmidt's other advantage is excellent ground clearance which is nice for log crossings and climbing ledges. Again, not very useful for me. My local trails don't have much of that.

Weight is an issue with Hammerschmidt, but the difference is less than it appears at first glance. Remember to include the weight of a front derailleur and chain guide when comparing to a tradional 2x9 setup.

I decided that 1x10 with a 11-36T cassette would be better for my riding style. Way less weight, and still decent clearance. If you shift up front a lot, sticking with Hammerschmidt might be a good idea. If not, use a gear calculator and check if maybe you could handle a 1x10 setup.

mtbr member
    I just recently got a Hammerschmidt- I have tried the 1x9 which I really liked BUT because of the climbs in my area and being at altitude it was tough but not impossible to grind out the climbs with a 28t up front and a 12-36t in back- however the problem was that as soon as I pointed downward I would spin out my tallest gear almost immediately.

I had gotten particularly tired of front derailleurs- so I am trying out the Hammerscmidt and so far so good. Its not as efficient as a typical two chainring set up and I can feel the small drag when in overdrive but I like the shifting, clearance and clean appearance.

I wish I could push a 32t up front up the climbs but I dont have the fitness anymore (at least not starting at 5000 ft and climbing to 6000 or 7000 ft)

mtb guide
    I'm actually thinking about picking up a hammerschmidt from my friend's mission 3 to put on my nomad. The mission 3 is a ten speed right, but from everything I can tell, the hammerschmidt is only made for 9 spds? Anyone know whats up?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm using the Hammershits with 10 speeds and have never had any issues in almost 2 years, nor have I read anything saying it couldnt be used with 10. ....though I wish I would have went with 9 speeds simply because I really have no use for 10.

To the original question, the biggest advantage I see with the HS's are with short elevation changes. I usually ride with mine in 1:1 and when there is a short downhill or a section where I can pick up speed easily followed by some sort of climb or obsticle, shift into overdrive to gain speed then insta-shift again just before the climb (or even during the climb) without having to shuffle through the rear cogs or deal with the front derailleur (I hate front derailleurs too). The weight penalty is not bad, but yes it will weigh a little more than a typical front setup; though I dont ever recall being out on a trail thinking that I wish my bike weighed half a pound less....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by outsider0409 View Post
    I'm actually thinking about picking up a hammerschmidt from my friend's mission 3 to put on my nomad. The mission 3 is a ten speed right, but from everything I can tell, the hammerschmidt is only made for 9 spds? Anyone know whats up?
    I called sram/truvativ about this and they said the hammerschmidt is cleared to run with all of their 10spd products. I think it says it on their website now as well.