mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Full Sus maintenance

Hey guys, as you know im a new member, and recently just purchased a full sus bike ('12 recoil comp). Im planning on doing some upgrades once i get out there and see how it rides. I plan on doing all sorts of riding, roads/trails with the lady, and hopefully some more aggressive offroad trails (nothing too crazy though). What type of maintenance am i looking at doing and how often (based if i ride a couple times a week and not crazy hard). Forks, rear shocks, chain? same with my girls HT, just want to learn more so if anyonen can shed some light on this for me itd be great. thanks!

Let the good times roll.
    Main thing is the drivetrain. Keep the chain clean and well lubed (with real chain lube, not household products). I clean my chain every 4-5 normal rides. I also do it every time the chain gets wet, muddy, or starts squeaking. Ask your LBS what works best for your area. I use Boeshield T9. Have the chain measured for wear at least every month. If the chain stretches past a point, you'll have to replace it along with cassette and chainrings. That sucks...

It's good to do fork and shock maintenance every season. I don't know if your fork and shock are user serviceable though. You'll have to hunt for tech docs and instructions. Changing cables and housing ever few months helps keep shifting performance crisp. Braking too if you have mechanical brakes. Hydraulic brakes will probably need bleeding yearly (bleed them when they start to feel spongy). Keep an eye on brake pads so they don't die in the middle of a ride.

Most other maintenance is as needed. Look your whole bike over every few rides and immediately after a crash. Check for loose bolts, cracks in the frame, bent wheels, parts out of alignment, squeaks, anything that's not right.

Park Tools website is a great resource for DIY repairs. MTBR search is also good if you have a specific problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    thanks for the advice!! good information i appreciate it. as far as the fork goes it is a suntour xcr rl. not sure what the maintenance is for that.