mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Front Suspenson Recommendations?

Front Suspenson Recommendations?-dcp01126.jpg this is 1 of my MTBS its Travel is half the size of the 2011 recoil comp wich is the recoil comps is 100 so its around 50-75mm travel? what would be a good front suspension fork for my old bike?

Appalachian Highlander
    My honest recommendation is to keep it rigid. Partly because I've learned to really appreciate rigid MTBs, but mostly because it's going to be difficult to A) find a fork with 60-75mm travel that's worth having--you can find an 80mm fork, and that might work okay, or you might have to choke it down to 65mm. B) You have a threaded headset, and a new fork will be designed for a threadless headset, so you'll have to get the fork, a new headset, and a new stem. C) Because you have canti-lever brakes, you'll have to find a fork-brace mounted brake cable stop (or a fork with an integrated canti-stop), which is likely to be near impossible. Or you'll have to change your front brake to V or Disc brakes, which will also necessitate changing your front brake lever........ and so on and so forth.

The best alternative, if you really want to suspend that bike is to get an old Marzocchi Bomber Z2 or XC 700 fork off e-bay. Make sure the steer tube is threaded, and make sure it's the right length. Then get the fork checked out as it will be 15 or 20 years old...... But they do work great. (Rock Shox and Manitous from that era didn't age well [elastomers]).