mtbr member
    May 2010

Fork Upgrade....which one?

i have a response sport, my upgrades are

bb7 with g2 160mm front and back
    nevegals 2.35 front
    klaw xt 2.1 rear

i have the xct suntour v2 fork up front and was looking to get something with more travel and for it to be air instead of coil to cut down on weight. i ride with my friends who have fully built dh bikes, so i try to keep with them on my hardtail. since i dont have the money for a whole new bike i want a good fork under 400 that can take bumps, and rebound really good.

mtbr member
    $400 is going to restrict you a bit but there are some good options out there, although those options are going to be heavier but not super heavy: Manitou Minute and Marzocchi 44s and 55s are good options.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    was looking at the marzocchi 44 rlo....i just dont know if i should get a new headset or can i use the one on the bike now.

Let the good times roll.
    Check out the Rockshox Sektor. 15% off with discout code vip15 (that works for most universal cycles orders).

Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Sektor RL U-Turn Coil Fork - 2011

That model is coil U-turn. I recommend it to maximize plushness and performance in rough terrain. There's also an air version for about $100 more if you really want the weight savings. You'll notice that the fork is available with QR, 15mm TA and 20mm TA. If you can afford it, you'll be much better off in the long run with 20mm TA and a new front wheel. In fact, I'd suggest waiting until you can afford to do that instead of upgrading to a new QR fork now. The difference in stiffness and convenience is worth it IMO.

You won't need a new headset. You will need to find a shop to switch over the crown race from your current fork and cut the steer tube on your new fork to the approprite length.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I woudl recoment a Rockshox Secktor or if you can wait a bit a save a little more go for a revelation, but not the u-turn. I also agree with the 20mm TA. Best upgrade I ever did on a bike. But i am 215lbs too. My wife is 100lbs and can not tell the difference between a 20mm TA and a 9mm QR. Inoticed you did not mention anything about wheels. The first things I always try to upgrade are the wheels and the Brakes and then the Fork.

What length stem are you running and what size handlebars. i would suggest getting wider bars if you are not running at least 26 inches wide, as this will also help you keep up with your downhill buddies.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    ok im going to take all the advice you guys are giving to me.

can you reccomend an inexpensive get the job done front wheel for the 15 or 20 TA.

i would also like a reccomendation for a new stem and handle bar. i woukd like to keep as close to the stock geometry of the bike stem wise because the position is great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    In my opinion no need to upgrade the stem. I would look for a cheap wide bar on price point or a similar website. But I would agree that a fork with a thru axle and new wheels are more important.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    any specific wheel that doesnt break the bank?

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Titus is selling a set of Mavic Crossrides for $99. Regular $250. It might be a good deal. They are only 15mm though. Titus Bikes — Mavic Crossride Disc Wheelset . I do not know much about the stiffness and strength of the lower end Mavics but i have enjoyed my crossmax a ton.

For handlebars I have always like Race Face stuff. I really like the new turbine line if you can afford it. I have seen some good deals on the Atlas line as well but they are a bit heavy for my taste.

The last fork I purchased was a revelation from bc multi sport .com for $300, it was a demo. They sell a lot of OEM and Demo model stuff and I really liked there price. The fork looked brand new when I got it except for the cut steer tube and installed star nut, which actually made install a lot easier.

When you widen your handlebars you will also want to shorten your stem. It will feel weird for the first couple of rides but once you get use to it, it is so much better, especially when flying down hills. With out knowing what exactly you have on there right now it is hard to say what size you would want. But I went from a 660mm bars and 110mm stem to a 680mm bar and 90mm stem and will only go wider and shorter in the future.

FWIW: another big help in descending has been switching to tubeless and dropping the tire pressure to 30psi or less.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Bike Bling is selling
    A Rockshox Sektor RL U-Turn Coil 20mm TA for $399,
    A Sektor Rl Solo Air with TA for $393
    A Fox 32 F120 FIT RL QR15 for $350.
    Etc.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    just picked up the Fox 32 from bikebling..i cant wait to get installed...now to find a front wheel that will work with it.