Sponsored by Xanax

Does anyone remember the Raleigh Tomac Ti?

From time to time I see (on Ebay or this site) an older Raleigh John Tomac bike, a titanium hardtail. Does anyone know the history of this bike? I have a Sampson Vail hardtail that looks identical to it except for the dropouts, and when I called Sampson they denied it was the same bike as the old Raleigh Tomac, although they noted it WAS built in Nottingham, England (which is where I would suspect this older Raleigh came from). That might be, but I'm still curious if anyone has any background on this rare ti Raleigh bike?

Hebrew Hammer

re:

hey man, i dno the history but the bikeshop i work at we have one that was tomacs actual bike and autographed by tomac

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Roostalee
    From time to time I see (on Ebay or this site) an older Raleigh John Tomac bike, a titanium hardtail. Does anyone know the history of this bike? I have a Sampson Vail hardtail that looks identical to it except for the dropouts, and when I called Sampson they denied it was the same bike as the old Raleigh Tomac, although they noted it WAS built in Nottingham, England (which is where I would suspect this older Raleigh came from). That might be, but I'm still curious if anyone has any background on this rare ti Raleigh bike?

well yes if its the welded titanium and not the titanium carbon one (these were made by lightspeedand merlin)you are correct it was made in nottingham england

raleigh special projects made the welded ti in a vacuum chamber out of russian grade titanium ,kind of an experiment as the previous models were called dynatech and were titanium tubes bonded to alloy lugs.

the good thing was it was a pretty good grade of ti not 3al2.5v or cp2but was somewhere in between after a supply agreement was reached with raleigh usa mr Ts name was slapped on as a marketing exercise

raleigh scaled down its special projects division in 96-97 and er basically let everyone go
    preferring toget their stuffmade in the far east so yes some where handmade in nottingham later ones were made in china or something