mtbr member

Diamondback Xr8 anyone?

I own a Diamondback XR8 year 2000. Anyone else have one of these.

Don't see too many on the trails but i'd like to talk to some people that own em!

I've customized mine pretty well but I thinks its time to move on with another bike/frame.

Thanks

Stand back

I've got a '00 XR

Mine started out as a XR1 when I got tired of waiting for an XR4 to come in. Just the cranks and stem are still stock. I rode it for years as 3" ft/ 3.75" rr travel, even raced XC a season in the Winterpark series. Then I started wandering from my racing and weight weenie ideals...
    Now it's paint free, 5" ft/ 4.75" rear, with disc brakes (8" ft) and much more fun. Talas R fork, '03 Sid shock, Avid mechanical disc, XT/ XTR (except for the LX cranks), AC/ Sun wheels...
    Only I just discovered a crack in the driveside chainstay, near the yoke weld, so I'm on the hunt for a new frame, too. I got a good 4 seasons out of it, so I can't complain, not for the money.
    What were you thinking for a new frame?
    I'm torn b/t a Titus Switchblade, SC Heckler or ??
    Too many good bikes to choose from these days.

mtbr member
    Mines stock except for new RS DUKE SL U-turn fork...new saddle...Intense CC tires...new pedals...and i had to replace some minor components from tipical wear and tear.

I'm thinking of buying a new frame and taking off a few components from the XR8 then selling the frame/parts.

I'm also looking at the Titus SW and the Heckler.

Im not sure if I wana coil shock...Id like to get a lockout.
    Your damn right, there are TOOOO many good bikes/frames out there!

I guess thats good in a way, but a hassle

E-mail back or reply!

MATT

Stand back

woohoo!

Just got back from the nearest db shop. they say that if I can come up w/ the receipt, there's a good chance db will warranty my frame if they can't replace the swingarm. and here i thought i was gonna have to retire it!
    not sure what they'd give me, haven't even checked out their '04's yet.

mtbr member
    Do you wana keep your DBR?

Or do you wana move on to something else?

I just bought some new AVID mech and a new wheelset for it.

Eventually I will buy a new frame and hang this on my wall...hehe

wheeeee!!!
    I cracked mine in exactly the same place, and subsequently cracked an xts-3 in the same place (slightly heavier duty frame). Diamondback stood behind their product, and warrantied the frames both times. All bikes can and will fail, in my mind it's how well the company handles that. I've moved back to a hardtail for now, but I learned a lot on my diamondback.

Stand back

db warranty

I've heard from a couple other ppl about breaking the swingarm and just thought they must've been heavier or more abusive. I guess it was just a matter of time... Have to say I'm pretty happy with how it worked up until the crack. Was planning on picking up an SPV shock and giving it at least one more season.
    I found my receipt and will dismantle the XR and drop 'er off at the dealer tonight/ tomorrow.
    I've been looking around at what other frames are out there (Titus, Devinci, Norco), but I'll wiat and see what happens with the XR before I decide I guess...

wheeeee!!!
    A word of warning: check the headtube size of the new frame DB offers you.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    ... Talas R fork...
    Any comments on the fork? I'm considering one of the Talas models for a XC/trail bike.

Stand back

Talas fork

I love the fork. Had it since April, absolutely no complaints or problems. I run it about 10psi over the recommended pressure for my weight, and it is still plush and does not dive when braking. Of course, this is just my opinion - I'm 190 lbs, and have heard ppl under 150 lbs complain it's either too soft or harsh on small impacts.
    I run it anywhere from 4 - 5", not much reason on a 4.5" rr travel bike to lower it more than that, and I can really tell the difference it makes on the headtube angle. I would have a tough time switching to a fork that didn't have on the fly adjustable travel now, altho I would be interested in a 4-5-6" version of the Talas...

Stand back
    Butocabra -
    Dunno what you meant by headtube size, but I got my new DB frame. From what I can tell it's an '02 XSL, and it has an integrated headset, which they included with the frame. Also appears to have an '04 SID rear shock, with adjustable rebound. Frame looks good, but now I have to figure out what to do with it - it's 4" rear travel max, and I want 5" or more...

wheeeee!!!

hmmm

Butocabra -
    Dunno what you meant by headtube size, but I got my new DB frame. From what I can tell it's an '02 XSL, and it has an integrated headset, which they included with the frame. Also appears to have an '04 SID rear shock, with adjustable rebound. Frame looks good, but now I have to figure out what to do with it - it's 4" rear travel max, and I want 5" or more...

I had an Xr4, which I cracked and got warrantied with an xts-3. The headtube was longer than the the Xr4, so I had to buy a new fork, as my steerer tube was too short. As far as what to do with it - if you want more travel - sell the frame.

mtbr member
    I ride an 2000 XR8.....

I wana know how much better an Intense Tracer would be.

I have the option of buying the frame but I dont know if its worth.
    My frame is in good condition so i DONT NEED to upgrade.

I just wana know how much more enjoyment would a tracer give.

Is it worth the upgrade or save money for the future...

Thanks
    Intense Tracer

Stand back

no personal experience w/ the tracer, but...

I can tell you that the very similar Titus Switchblade is definitely worth the $. As long as you can be happy w/ 4" travel (or 4.5" I hear w/ Uzzi rockers), then the Tracer's the more versatile bike of the 2. Lots more geo. adjustments, and coil - able.
    Now that I've gotten to know Titus' quality of construction and how smooth sealed bearing pivots are, it's changed my perspective on bikes. Pull the shock off and move the swingarm on your XR, then compare that to a Tracer or comparable bike. No comparison. And on the trail, it's much more plush. But then part of that may be chainstay pivot vs. seatstay, and then fox float vs. the old sid rear shock, too.
    And the new upper level DB's (I think since '01 actually) have sealed bearing pivots now, too. But regardless: if you've ridden your XR for a few years, I think you will appreciate the somewhat subtle improvements in the Tracer's ride.

Keep The Rubber Side Down

Please post a picture...

Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeBikr
    I own a Diamondback XR8 year 2000. Anyone else have one of these.

Don't see too many on the trails but i'd like to talk to some people that own em!

I've customized mine pretty well but I thinks its time to move on with another bike/frame.

Thanks
    Would like to see what the bike looks like now.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow
    Would like to see what the bike looks like now.

sure just give me your email...i have tons of pics.

either post here or do a private message!
    Intense Tracer

Doesn't have time to ride
    Mar 2004

My XR8

I just had to get on and share my XR8 with everyone. the only one of these bikes I've ever seen (in real life) is mine. I love my bike. I've never had any major problems with it. Some of my friends say tha it rides a little like a tank, but it carried my 200 pounds just fine. I pritty sure that the rear triangle on my bike used to be red, but was painted some time before I got it. I have some Avid disc scheduled to arrive in 4-5 days. I bought mine as a frame and have built it up, so mine doesn't have any stock parts on it.

Marzocchi X-fly 80mm
    XT disc hubs
    Shimano Drive Train
    Avid Disc (soon)
    SID rear shock
    Selle Italia saddle
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Mine started out as a XR1 when I got tired of waiting for an XR4 to come in. Just the cranks and stem are still stock. I rode it for years as 3" ft/ 3.75" rr travel, even raced XC a season in the Winterpark series. Then I started wandering from my racing and weight weenie ideals...
    Now it's paint free, 5" ft/ 4.75" rear, with disc brakes (8" ft) and much more fun. Talas R fork, '03 Sid shock, Avid mechanical disc, XT/ XTR (except for the LX cranks), AC/ Sun wheels...
    Only I just discovered a crack in the driveside chainstay, near the yoke weld, so I'm on the hunt for a new frame, too. I got a good 4 seasons out of it, so I can't complain, not for the money.
    What were you thinking for a new frame?
    I'm torn b/t a Titus Switchblade, SC Heckler or ??
    Too many good bikes to choose from these days.
    HOW DID YOU HOOK UP THE DISC BRAKES TO THE REAR? ARE YOU USING AVID DISC BRAKES THERE?

Stand back

Here's mine, RIP

Ahh, brings back fond memories...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

New question here. Bottom bracket size for 2000 XR8?

I have a 2000 XR8 and wondered if anybody knows the bottom bracket size? Is it a 68mm or 73mm? Thanks.

By the way, I'm selling the frame, rear shock, seatpost and headset (and maybe BB if it's the wrong size ) if anyone is interested.

OTAY!

Was wondering..........

Ahh, brings back fond memories...
    What did you do/use to strip the finish on your dbr frame?

mtbr member
    Yes that's beatiful dbabuser. Here's a little video of me on a 1999 DBR X-Link with 1999 Marz. Z1QR20 130mm travel front fork and Stratos Helix Expert 6.5x1.62 stroke rear shock(5" travel).70mm stem,1999 Magura Louise disc brakes(185mm disc rear). Rhyno Lite Rims, Hope Bulb rear Hub http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/mou...e/mvi_3648.avi. Takes 10 seconds to join up!And the tracer is shorter, DBR are special because they have a longer front end,and longer chainstays. Can you feel it when you ride. A tracer is good trail bike but the DBR is a bit more freeride worthy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Got one ,switch back to this 1999 diamond bike after unfaithful move to carbon Trek Mnt.bike. I am forgiven.