mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Diamondback Trace?

Hello this is my first post here. I didn't realize how good the forum side of mtbr really was, I'm glad I joined finally. So I was looking for a commuter bike (more road than anything) that could be taken on some smooth dirt here and there. Being in college, the budget is pretty low. I see the Trace with the ridged fork and that sorta sticks out to me as something I might be interested in. Is the frame and fork going to be durable enough for some light off road use? I'm trying to keep the budget as low as I can, I was really hoping for craigslist to come through but every time I call the seller the bike is already sold. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    yeah it should be just fine... Depending on your weight and the type of terrain. No big drops and you will be fine! All though id wonder if those tires would need to be replaced even for hard pack dirt cause you wont have much traction. You can get alittle more aggressive tires for the street that have low rolling resistance and work just fine on the street. But that's all dependant on how much dirt riding you will do!
    14 Fsr stumpy elite 29r

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    gravel and dirt roads no problem. I have a 2012 trace comp and it is a great bike. Any single track you should get a mountain bike. I have a response comp for that!
    I like to ride my bike.