mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Diamondback Tess?

I just bought my 8year old daughter a Diamondback Tess 20" as her first mountain bike. Does anyone have any experence with this bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yeah, we sell a ton of them at work. What's your question?

Singletrack Slayer
    A Dick's Sporting Goods exclusive. Steel frame and lower end shifter,derailleur, vs DB's Octane with is Alu, with Shimano twistys etc. Good price point and yes we sell a ton. What is up!?!?
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Is this a decent first mountain bike for an 8 year old girl?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well the Tess came in today. This is my intial review.
    The bike did come with an assembly manual and assembly was straight foward and easy. I was glad the crank and derailer was assembled. That was the only part that I was worried about putting together.
    I was diappointed with the weight of the bike and the quality of the fork. The fork is basicly worthless. It doesn't work at all. Compaired to a $75.00 Walmart/Kmart bike the Tess is only very slightly better. For the extra money I spent on the Diamondback and the fact that it bears the Diamondback name I expected more. I should have spent $100.00 extra dollars and got the Specialized Hot rock or Jamis x-20. Both are MUCH better bikes.

Singletrack Slayer
    Or you could have gotten the "real" Diamondback Octane 20, which is much better version, Aluminum frame, Shimano shifter and better derailleur, fork, much lighter and cost $200. I sell this when I can, because it's such a better value for 40 bucks more.

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/you...-womens-11-11/

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I agree, I should have went with the Octane 20. Much more bike for the buck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Agreed... Octane all the way. We only really see the 24" version come in to my store, but they always sell like ice cream at a pool stand in the middle of summer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Are there any options on upgrading the front fork on a 20" bike? Anything would be better than whats on there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Talk to your local bike shop and see what they can order you. You should be able to find a fork made by RST, or Spinner in a 20" size for anywhere from $60-$120 for a suspension fork. If you want, you could probably lighten up the bike with a rigid front fork for somewhere in the ball park of $30-$80. Work with your local bike shop to make sure that they get you the right size though. For that bike, you will need a threaded steer tube with a specific length. Your LBS will be able to easily figure that out for you, and should be able to get your a part ordered.

cycle dad
    I know this is an old post, but I think we all need some perspective here. 20 wheel kids bike. Does the little girl ride hard enough to need suspension anyway? She can learn the shifting basics on it and then in a year or two buy her a very basic rigid mtb. If she uses it on the trails with you, then start looking for real bikes.

My kids are getting bmx's until they are big enough to ride a size small (16") mtb. If they are really interested in riding with me I'll get them something used that is nice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    There's an update to my Tess experence. After I got the Tess I was very disappointed with the quality and weight of the bike. I contacted diamondback and they were no help at all. They offered to contact Amazon and help me return and get a refund on this bike, but that never happened. Today after less then 2 months of light use the chain got stuck in the chainring guard and the rear deraileur and shifter is shot. This bike was a waste of money and Diamondback has really let me down. I am a very disapointed customer.
    I really wanted to like the Diamondback but the quality and the customer service really let me down.

cycle dad
    Looks like Raleigh isn't as good at helping out when it comes to the lower end. I've had nothing be good experiences, but many of those where while working at a shop.

Singletrack Slayer
    Sorry to hear about that. Hate to say it, but that's what happens when you buy online. Your SOL with warranties and have to work on it yourself or pay a mechanic to work on it. I see people come into the shop and spend $100-200 to fix a $100 bike or in some cases just really old bikes in really bad shape that need a lot work. Next time buy from a shop and you'll be a lot happier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've learned my lesson. Local Bike Shop from now on.