mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Diamondback Men's Maneuver

Any thoughts on this bike? It's on sale for $350.
    I wanna know about things like comfortability, durability, how light it is for its price, whether not to put on a kickstand, and things like that. Also, it wouldn't hurt if you guys showed me other bikes that are on sale in the $200-$400 range.

Singletrack Slayer
    That model is not in the US, but there is a post about this from a few months ago. I think it is close to the US Response Sport, good solid bike. I would not worry over weight at this price point, 28~32lbs is normal for a bike like that. Go for it.

mtb wipeout king
    Here it is, have already replaced the fork on it. Weighs in at 30 lbs loaded.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Did your brakes take time to break in? That's what the Sports Chek guy told me. He told me I should ride it down hills with the breaks on to help it break in. Right now, it'll just slide, not stop. Did this happen for you?

mtb wipeout king
    no problems with the brakes yet, worked fine since the start only had some noise the same as any brake job on the first 2 days. mind u i got mine from sport mart and they use a tech from a LBS to do the work on them. As for the forks, the problem was a bad seal which allowed some water in which corroded them. They replaced them with no problem, and said if they go out again feel free to come in and get another set. With this kind of service ( Sport Mart - Burlington Ont.) I have been getting from them, it is no wonder I keep spending money there. By the end of the year, I will have enough cash though to put on a set of RS Tora 302's.
    Last edited by Frosti; 07-04-2009 at 04:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I meant did you have to break them in.

Singletrack Slayer
    All discs go through a "break in" period, that usually takes a good 80~100 good stops. Just depends on what system you run, mech or hydros. Usually mech will have more fine tune tweaks because of the inner pad being a fixed piston. But really if you have them set up right by a good mechanic, you should be golden. Discs are easy to set up and fine tune yourself, IMO.

mtbr member
    I just got the bike, works really well. Though my gear 1-1 does the clicky noise. Not sure how to explain it, but it clicks, then clicks again? Will that just go away eventually?

Singletrack Slayer
    Sounds like it could be a limit screw that needs to be adjusted . It should not make clicking noises and no they will not just go away.

mtbr member
    For some reason it actually did go away. :S

TrailMonkey
    Aug 2009
    Heyy guys just wondering if this bike is a good buy fro $250 from my local Sportchek...I plan on doing some single track riding along with medium trail and maybe some light downhill..and daily commuting. Let me know whatcha think...BTW I plan on upgrading parts as they brake like Forks, Pedals, Derailiers etc. Thanks!

mtb wipeout king
    I haven't had too many problems with the bike. The only issue I had was that I bent the forks on a wipeout. They don't hold up too well, the rest of the bike is solid. It is the same frame that is used in the Responce Comp. But the bike is also not a dh bike, strictly a xc setup.

TrailMonkey
    Aug 2009
    Alright...well thats good too know...so it isn't capable of downhill? What about steep inclines? I've ridden my friend's Iron Horse Assault FR10 hardtail downhill aggresively and it seemed to hold up..just really bumpy -_-...And are you sure the frame is the same as the response series? If you look closely the Maneuver has a more curved down tube than the response.

http://www.sportchek.ca/sportchek/do...&styleId=58902

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/mtn...ponse-comp-09/

Could this be better or make the geometry of the bike worse??? Thanks for the help man!

Singletrack Slayer
    The difference in the two frames is Canadian vs USA models as stated eariler. The bike is a solid bike for an entry level trail bike, commuting is no problem of course, maybe put on some slicks for that. As for DH as stuff; that bike is not going to hold up for long. The frame is stout and not a problem, just the parts on it, ie wheels, fork, cranks, and such. If you can swing the upgrade to the USA Response Comp or Response in Canada, it is much better suited for your needs as a "all mountain" bike. For the difference you'll get a fork that really works and has tunablility and durability, better wheels, Avid disc, Solid Sram X5/X7 drivetrain and splined cranks. You would be better off with it if you want to ride a lot off road and get into some serious trail riding.

TrailMonkey
    Aug 2009
    Heyy David thanks for the response about the response! (I'm witty, I know) Okay so now I understand that this bike is much more suited for commuting but can handle LIGHT trail riding due to its lacking components. Quick question though...where could I pick up an '09 Response Sport? Would I have to cross the border? And more specifically - Does the curved downtube on the Canadian frame (Maneuver) compromise the bikes structural integrity as the Response Sport's downtube is placed closer to the upper tube?

TrailMonkey
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyR
    Could this be better or make the geometry of the bike worse??? Thanks for the help man!
    Okay so I understand the fact that this bike is more suited to a rider who commutes more often then riding on trail...and if this bike were to tackle trails it would have to be LIGHT trail riding due to its lacking components...To specify the question above though do you think the extra curved downtube on the Maneuver will compromise its structural integrity compared to the more stout looking Response Sport's downtube? Thanks!

Singletrack Slayer
    Frame- no worries, can't have same patents in US and Canada. If it was not safe why would they sell it?!!?!
    The bike can handle the trails, just expect things to need more work to stay in tune and or break.
    The bike here is the Response Comp on the Candian website, called the Response.
    http://www.sportchek.ca/sportchek/do...&styleId=55019

mtb wipeout king
    I will tell you this, if you go with the manuever - upgrade the fork right away.

That is the only problem I have had with the bike, and since I have put on a 100mm dart 1 ( hey i know beginner fork, but was new and free ) the bike handles alot better. It hasn't affected the geometry other then improve it. I checked with a LBS tech and he said that the bike is designed for up to 100mm but no more. The dart series is on the approved list from diamondback. The components on the bike are okay, just keep them lubed and tuned often. But sportcheck will give you a year of free tunes. I got mine from sportmart ( sister company ) and their tech also works for a LBS. All of the manuever spec components are in my profile.