mtbr member
    Nov 2012

DiamondBack Mason HT sizing

Hey all,

Currently looking for a slack HT that is durable and really like the Mason. A quick question, though. I am currently riding a 19" Trek marlin and am 6'-6'1" with a 32" inseam, do you think the Mason in a 17" would be entirely too small for me? Or could it work with the 60mm stem that is on the large or some more tweaking? Reason I'm asking is that I cannot find a Large anywhere but have found a few mediums and don't feel like waiting til the end of the summer to pick one up!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I hate to say it but I'd look for a large. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and the large is pretty spot on. Medium would be a little too cramped, and putting a longer stem on the medium would take a little bit away from how the bike is supposed to ride. This is definitely a bike made for a 50-60mm stem at most.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah, that is what I am thinking.. although it's a bummer that it is on sale right now but without the large! Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have a medium. I'm 6 foot with a 32 inseam and 74" reach. It seems to fit fine. The seat post could be a tad longer and my size 11 feet don't come near the tires.

I had an XL and it just felt too long.
    Last edited by Performula; 05-23-2013 at 02:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    You can send the bike back at REI and they are on sale. I would try the M. It's just too good to pass.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah, that's where I'm looking to get it. I am just not so sure a M will fit OK. Although, you sound like you are very similar in size to me. My inseam is good for the medium, but Im worried about the upper body. I don't want to feel cramped on the thing.

I might just do that, pick up the Medium and return it if it doesnt fit right. It would be my luck that they get Larges in stock right after a buy a medium though haha

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    No matter what, you will feel weird on this bike. Even on the XL I needed to extend the post nearly maxed to get comfortable. And to sit upright, even on the Medium, I have to drop the post. I have size 11 feet and they don't come near the front tire. My knees are actually 8-9 inches away from the bars. The chain stay lengths are identical throughout sizes and my feet can get close. The medium is so much nimbler compared to the XL, obviously. And even with my long arms I'm still hung over this thing, same on the M.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    On the XL, I felt like I sat on the bike, with the M I feel like I'm part of the bike. Also, I have 1.5" risers and a 40mil stem.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Performula View Post
    I have a medium. I'm 6 foot with a 32 inseam and 74" reach. It seems to fit fine. The seat post could be a tad longer and my size 11 feet don't come near the tires.

I had an XL and it just felt too long.

Hi Performula, you got me confused there, how long arms do you have...?

I am ready to pick up a mason frame via web, but i'm torn betwen the L and XL
    and reading your posts, have made me even more unsure.....

trying to get as upright a seating position as posible, intend on using a salsa bend 2 bar, and maybe something like the salsa or hope 25 degree stems, in the shortest versions, if i dont need the extra rise, i will likely go with a short zero degree stem.

I have a 34" inseam, my upper body is ca. 27" (measured from top of inseam, to top of shoulder), and i have a reach of ca 25" (measured from lower front of shoulder to mid palm)

any input would be much apreciated......

ps. sorry for the jack.........

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    From my shoulder to mid palm I'm at 25.5"

If you want to sit upright, this isn't the bike for you. In order to sit upright, the seat has to be dropped, and your legs will be totally bent. With both the Medium and XL you will be leaned over on the bike. The chain stay lengths are the same throughout all sizes so sometimes the rear end might get tight if your feet are dangling around.

If I put my heel on the pedal, the front of my feet don't come remotely close to the front tire, and my feet are size 11. My knees are about 9" from the bars.

The M feels like a BMX bike compared to the XL.

Now let me ask you this, your inseam sounds really long, how tall are you? Inseam a lot of times is based on the preference of where you want the pant cuff to meet.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I measure inseam from the ground, to the top of my inside leg (right next to my junk)

I am 187,5 cm. ( thats 6 feet 2 inches....?)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Eh, you are taller than me. At 6 I'd say M, I'd say L for you. You could always swap the frame next year.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    this would be my only bike for the summer, so i would love a got fit from day one....

you still think its the wrong frame..?

I really like the specs. on this frame... execpt from the bb

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    It would be up to you. I enjoy the smaller frame. It is a little tighter and my post is maxed, but its very maneuverable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Like I said, worst case, you can send it back. Worth a try.

mtbr member
    Im in the same boat as far as size. Im built funny 30" inseam with a long torso and monkey arms. Built like im 6'2" with the legs of a 5'8" guy. I ride a small Avalanche and it is cramped. The large was ok but tit pedaled funny. Should I try a medium Mason or a Large?