mtbr member

Diamondback Line..

Got my Line delivered via UPS Monday. Brought it into the living room and assembled it while watching TV. It's at Performance Bike for a once over right now (for piece of mind). I'll pick it up tomorrow and get it out this weekend. Can't wait.

Smoking deal too at $720 to my door. Best part is my co has a wellness bene of $500 so in only out of pocket $220 plus $40 for the "tune up."

I'm pumped.

mtbr member
    Very nice. What size did you go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Large/20"

Got lucky as a LBS had a large and medium Hook in inventory I could test fit prior to ordering. I'm 6' tall.

mtbr member

Diamondback Line..

Cool I'm 5'11" so debating what size to get when I pull the trigger on the Syncr Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Sweet Bike

Where did you get it from?

mtbr member
    Sports authority.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Did you use a coupon to get that deal?

mtbr member
    I did. They always have deals. I just checked and there's a 20% coupon now. Code is 20APRIL.

I bought the bike, assembled it at home, dropped it at a LBS for a once over and hit the trails. Only mod so far is a race face chain ring. The OE gear sucks. It's a must do upgrade and comes on the Syncr. Also Apparently Suntour has a fork trade out program that I'll take advantage of and upgrade to a Raidon air shock too. I'll also upgrade the X5 in time but I'm in no rush. When I eventually wreck and tear it up I'll upgrade it then. For now it's doing its job well enough.

That said I'm happy with bike.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks. I looked right after asking and they won't let me use it on the line.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ...Mark... View Post
    I did. They always have deals. I just checked and there's a 20% coupon now. Code is 20APRIL.

I bought the bike, assembled it at home, dropped it at a LBS for a once over and hit the trails. Only mod so far is a race face chain ring. The OE gear sucks. It's a must do upgrade and comes on the Syncr. Also Apparently Suntour has a fork trade out program that I'll take advantage of and upgrade to a Raidon air shock too. I'll also upgrade the X5 in time but I'm in no rush. When I eventually wreck and tear it up I'll upgrade it then. For now it's doing its job well enough.

That said I'm happy with bike.
    Did your chain pop off a bunch before you upgraded the chain ring? I recently got a Line and my chain comes off when I go below 3rd gear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raysor View Post
    Did your chain pop off a bunch before you upgraded the chain ring? I recently got a Line and my chain comes off when I go below 3rd gear.
    The chain would come off like it was its job. For every 2 hours of riding it would happen 3-4 times and always in lower gears. Drove me crazy. Since I had it installed it hasn't happened since. I bought it and had it installed for only $50. The gear on Amazon was $38 so my LBS's pricing was on point.

The install is easy enough but by time I would have bought the ring as well as the chain tool needed it would have cost me the same if not more. With the install I ditched the guide up top and the roller on the bottom (one assembly) so I would have needed the chain tool to remove some links to shorten the chain.

You MUST do this mod.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Got a picture of your current chainring setup?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raysor View Post
    Got a picture of your current chainring setup?
    Click the link above. I posted one there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    If you don't mind me asking how doe the large fit you? Im right around your height and normally a 18 to 18.5 inch frame fits best so ive been looking at the medium frame. Beautiful bike.

mtbr member
    If that's your gut instinct I'd stick with it. I have longer legs and a shorter torso than most which is why when I test fit the medium hook I knew I had to go up a size. Remember the hook line and syncrs are the same frame so find a DB dealer and see you can test fit one.

mtbr member
    Update. Popped the chain last weekend. Had to walk out 2 miles. That sucked.

Upgraded to a SRAM 971 chain. Bikes still performing well though. Would love to upgrade to an air fork but I'm not trying to dump money into this bike. If it breaks I'll fix it and upgrade that part. Aside from that Im just gonna ride and maintain it. This fall my work wellness benefit renews ($500). Between the bene and what I get for it used I'll be able to get into a solid full suspension trail bike for not a ton out of pocket.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I have been riding a Diamondback Trail Streak for 33 years, however it was getting very difficult to find quality parts. So I was planing on getting a Diamondback Hook, but when I went in to Performance Bicycle to purchase it today I discovered the Line was on sale and only $100.00 more than the hook. So I purchased the Line (in small, I am 5'6") instead. With the upgrades it was more than worth it. The first thing I did was replace the peddles. After adding lights and a bike computer to keep track of speed and mileage, I went on a 30 mile checkout ride. Even though my old bike was an 18 speed and the Line is a 9 speed I had no problems on the trail I normally ride. Climbing over the hills and bridges was actually easier and the bike is quick on the flats. I am pleased beyond words with the Diamondback Line.
    Life is riding no less than 40 miles a day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

muahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by ...Mark... View Post
    The chain would come off like it was its job. For every 2 hours of riding it would happen 3-4 times and always in lower gears. Drove me crazy. Since I had it installed it hasn't happened since. I bought it and had it installed for only $50. The gear on Amazon was $38 so my LBS's pricing was on point.

The install is easy enough but by time I would have bought the ring as well as the chain tool needed it would have cost me the same if not more. With the install I ditched the guide up top and the roller on the bottom (one assembly) so I would have needed the chain tool to remove some links to shorten the chain.

You MUST do this mod.

ok the drive train on the hook and line are complete crap.

replace the crank with a shimano m590 crankset, remove all the chainrings and install a 34t raceface narrow wide chainring
    do not use the supplied spacer on the drive side. use only 1 spacer on the non drive side.
    install a 11x36 10 speed cassette
    install a 10 speed chain
    replace the shifter and rear derailure
    buy a zee m640 shifter and rear derailure
    tune it,

all issue melt away.

the core issue here is the hook and line have horrible chainlines. this system config resolves that issue.

will cost you 260.00
    chain will never come off again.

db sell shit bikes with completwly horrific specs.

i warn people all the time.

if you pay less that 1200 for a bike, your going to stuck high and dry sooner of later

save up and buy a bike that completed.

db pulled a franke stien on the hook and line

shame on them for being so sloppy and sellingit to the consumer.

RAKC/ITUO
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs1231 View Post
    ok the drive train on the hook and line are complete crap.

replace the crank with a shimano m590 crankset, remove all the chainrings and install a 34t raceface narrow wide chainring
    do not use the supplied spacer on the drive side. use only 1 spacer on the non drive side.
    install a 11x36 10 speed cassette
    install a 10 speed chain
    replace the shifter and rear derailure
    buy a zee m640 shifter and rear derailure
    tune it,

all issue melt away.

the core issue here is the hook and line have horrible chainlines. this system config resolves that issue.

will cost you 260.00
    chain will never come off again.

db sell shit bikes with completwly horrific specs.

i warn people all the time.

if you pay less that 1200 for a bike, your going to stuck high and dry sooner of later

save up and buy a bike that completed.

db pulled a franke stien on the hook and line

shame on them for being so sloppy and sellingit to the consumer.
    Many things wrong with this post.

First is the chainline. It's a standard frame, chainline is the same no matter what, it's determined by the crankset nothing more.

If your going to run 1x you need a NW chain ring simple as that. Or chain retention.

ANY BIKE CAN LEAVE YOU HIGH AND DRY AT ANY TIME. Low grade components do it sooner but still going to happen.

That's really not a bad looking bike for the price tag at all. Not everyone has a ton of cash to drop on a bike. That's why you replace/upgrade as things wear out. And things last longer with proper maintainence.

Entry or expensive. Itll get the job done.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Great lights:

www.ituolights.com

Life on 2 wheels is the only life for me. Especially once it gets dark.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Many things wrong with this post.

First is the chainline. It's a standard frame, chainline is the same no matter what, it's determined by the crankset nothing more.

If your going to run 1x you need a NW chain ring simple as that. Or chain retention.

ANY BIKE CAN LEAVE YOU HIGH AND DRY AT ANY TIME. Low grade components do it sooner but still going to happen.

That's really not a bad looking bike for the price tag at all. Not everyone has a ton of cash to drop on a bike. That's why you replace/upgrade as things wear out. And things last longer with proper maintainence.

Entry or expensive. Itll get the job done.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Exactly. Like I said I didn't want to dump a ton of money on a bike until I was sure I wanted to stick with the sport. That's why I got the line. Although his proposed drivetrain mods will make the bike better the fork is still subpar. By time I spend the money to upgrade the fork and the drivetrain, sell my bike, and get my wellness bene from work I'm looking at $1500 easy. For that money I can get into a solid full suspension bike with only a couple hundred out of pocket. That's my plan anyway come fall time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

a ton of money ?

define a ton of money ?

3 car payments ?
    12 months of cell phone charges ?
    6 months of taking out your loved one out on weekends for food and drinks ?

1500.00 is nothing especially not a ton. your being unrealistic.

my buddy picked up a baby blue hook and his first ride the chain dropped 8 times.
    so so many others reporting the same thing.

can not pedal backwards at all, it derails on the cassette.
    the chain guide STEEL back plate was bent.
    the crank chain ring wobbled was bent
    the rear cassette moved up and down when the back tire spins freely
    the chain guide pulley was not in line with the chain ring
    non tapered steerer
    qr9 dropout
    front fork has no rebound and tops out with a loud clunk
    the derailleur hanger was bent
    all this on a 68 degree head angle and iscg05 mounts? why ????? theirs no point at all.

wow this is called a good deal ? for 750.00

this was straight out of the box from db.

I assembled it for him

first thing I had to do was use a dag-II and corrected the hanger alignment

corrected the indexing
    found the chain line at 52mm which is a known fail, probably why the installed a chain guide.

I am at a loss of words if this is even considered as purchasable.

1 week later we did the following

removed and through away the uber cheap chain guide.

purchased the following

shimano m590 crankset and removed all 3 rings, install a raceface 34t nw chain ring
    only used 1 spacer on the non drive side so the chain line is now 48 mm
    installed a zee m640 trigger shifter 10 speed
    installed a 11x36 shimano 10 speed cassette
    installed a zee m640 rear derailleur short cage 10 speed
    installed a 10 speed chain cut and shortened to perfection
    setup the indexing on the derailleur
    rechecked the hanger

ok so the drive train is now basic entry lvl spec and will not drop chains again.

installed shimano m615 hydo brakes and deore levers
    installed a real fork with rebound so no more hard top out clunks
    suntour raidon 120 mm

im not trying to be rude, im really not but without me he would have been screwed.

it was allot of work getting this bike into a functional spec.

it took an additional 600 bucks just to get this bike to basic entry lvl functionality.

and I didn't charge him any service time like a lbs would. what would they have charged him ? 300 to do all that ? idk

so you tell me, was it worth 750 ?

I guess if your new or dont know or dont care i guess this bike would be ok but i still dont and cant recommend it to any friend of mine out of sheer respect for their health and safety

but we ride with a group and chain drops are not allowed.
    we ride aggressive and fast with two foot drops and jumps cant be managed safely on the OEM specs.

all of this brings me back to my original point.

save the money, spend 1200 to 1500 on a bike thats already completed.

you will be happier and much safer and have a much more fun bike.

theres even a bigger problem going on here.

as long as people buy these low end spec bikes, the companies will continue to sell them and in my opinion they are just ripping riders off and keep the good components at a higher price because they know people will buy a 8 speed system that was designed in 2002 because they have no clue to what the better stuff offers.

anyway, I wish you all luck. when your chain comes off and your hands, leg and or gloves get all black and greasy just remember this post, use it as a guide to upgrade.

these parts I listed can be found pretty darn cheap but work fantastic and are durable.

oh and btw, you can use 11 speed chains on 10 speed system. forget what people say, works great, shifts great, lasts 3 k miles if maintained properly.

cheers and maybe you can see me at whislter in the future.

peeec
    Last edited by mjs1231; 07-10-2016 at 11:13 AM. Reason: .

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Bent a wheel Saturday any suggestions for replacement?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diamondback Line..-image.jpg  

Diamondback Line..-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs1231 View Post
    define a ton of money ?

3 car payments ?
    12 months of cell phone charges ?
    6 months of taking out your loved one out on weekends for food and drinks ?

1500.00 is nothing especially not a ton. your being unrealistic.

my buddy picked up a baby blue hook and his first ride the chain dropped 8 times.
    so so many others reporting the same thing.

can not pedal backwards at all, it derails on the cassette.
    the chain guide STEEL back plate was bent.
    the crank chain ring wobbled was bent
    the rear cassette moved up and down when the back tire spins freely
    the chain guide pulley was not in line with the chain ring
    non tapered steerer
    qr9 dropout
    front fork has no rebound and tops out with a loud clunk
    the derailleur hanger was bent
    all this on a 68 degree head angle and iscg05 mounts? why ????? theirs no point at all.

wow this is called a good deal ? for 750.00

this was straight out of the box from db.

I assembled it for him

first thing I had to do was use a dag-II and corrected the hanger alignment

corrected the indexing
    found the chain line at 52mm which is a known fail, probably why the installed a chain guide.

I am at a loss of words if this is even considered as purchasable.

1 week later we did the following

removed and through away the uber cheap chain guide.

purchased the following

shimano m590 crankset and removed all 3 rings, install a raceface 34t nw chain ring
    only used 1 spacer on the non drive side so the chain line is now 48 mm
    installed a zee m640 trigger shifter 10 speed
    installed a 11x36 shimano 10 speed cassette
    installed a zee m640 rear derailleur short cage 10 speed
    installed a 10 speed chain cut and shortened to perfection
    setup the indexing on the derailleur
    rechecked the hanger

ok so the drive train is now basic entry lvl spec and will not drop chains again.

installed shimano m615 hydo brakes and deore levers
    installed a real fork with rebound so no more hard top out clunks
    suntour raidon 120 mm

im not trying to be rude, im really not but without me he would have been screwed.

it was allot of work getting this bike into a functional spec.

it took an additional 600 bucks just to get this bike to basic entry lvl functionality.

and I didn't charge him any service time like a lbs would. what would they have charged him ? 300 to do all that ? idk

so you tell me, was it worth 750 ?

I guess if your new or dont know or dont care i guess this bike would be ok but i still dont and cant recommend it to any friend of mine out of sheer respect for their health and safety

but we ride with a group and chain drops are not allowed.
    we ride aggressive and fast with two foot drops and jumps cant be managed safely on the OEM specs.

all of this brings me back to my original point.

save the money, spend 1200 to 1500 on a bike thats already completed.

you will be happier and much safer and have a much more fun bike.

theres even a bigger problem going on here.

as long as people buy these low end spec bikes, the companies will continue to sell them and in my opinion they are just ripping riders off and keep the good components at a higher price because they know people will buy a 8 speed system that was designed in 2002 because they have no clue to what the better stuff offers.

anyway, I wish you all luck. when your chain comes off and your hands, leg and or gloves get all black and greasy just remember this post, use it as a guide to upgrade.

these parts I listed can be found pretty darn cheap but work fantastic and are durable.

oh and btw, you can use 11 speed chains on 10 speed system. forget what people say, works great, shifts great, lasts 3 k miles if maintained properly.

cheers and maybe you can see me at whislter in the future.

peeec
    $1500 is alot of money, unless you sell MTBs, then that makes you worse than a criminal defense lawyer and a used car salesman. I for one, don't need to go to Whistler, I ride whenever, where ever. For fun. It gets me out, keeps my health. If I can modify a bike, or buy one to suit my needs, then whose to say I'm wrong for doing it, or what I bought is unrideable. If lunatics with too much money would stop buying $10k bikes, prices would go down. Let's face it, the tech is not all the complicated, and things are cheap to build. Why would I pay as much for a bike as I do for a quality used car? Makes no sense. These manufactures are selling bikes at what the market will bear. People like you, spewing snobbyness all over the sport is driving the industry to have country club elitist attitude. Diamondback pushes back at this and offers options for recreational riders (and more advanced riders), like myself, to get out an have fun on a decent bike for the money. It doesn't matter if I financed a specialized carbon stumpjumper elite blah blah blah, I still wouldnt find value in my purchase, nor in the sport. So get off your high horse and act like you're supporting riding, regardless of the rig.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris759 View Post
    Bent a wheel Saturday any suggestions for replacement?
    Can't true it at all? Is it done for real?
    Well, if it is, all I can say is that i'm planning to replace my wheelset (Hook) for a set of Easton ARC 27s laced to XT hubs, or maybe Stans Arch or Flow EX rims instead of the Eastons.

I'm gonna do it because I want a lighter and stronger wheelset though. My wheels are still alive, but i'm pretty light at 145 lbs, so my set doesn't take as much abuse.

How much do you weigh? What's your riding style?