mtbr member

Diamondback Haanjo

Has anyone bought or demoed the Haanjo? There are a lot of this style of bike hitting the market but the price to components list for the Haanjo is pretty impressive. Any feedback would be very much appreciated.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm also interested. Looks to be a good gravel grinder, back roads, forest road, bike packing, even century rider.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Very seriously considering pulling the trigger and buy this bike.
    Wasn't too keen on the yellow paint, but its really starting to grow on me.
    There are a few other bikes on my list of possibles but the DB Haanjo is at the top
    The Haanjo Comp looks good too but the 24H wheels seem to wimpy for me. the 28H on the basic is pushing it as it is. Would prefer 32H

New fork for my 29er first tho...

mtbr member
    I agree that the wheels suck but that's pretty normal for this price point. Amazon of all places is selling the basic Haanjo for $800. For that price upgrading the wheels wouldn't be so bad.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Its a good entry level bike for the money I use it as a commuter. 8 miles trail 13 miles road. Changed out the bars for carbon and larger wider tires on the front. Wheels suck ash they became untrue within three rides I guess it didn't help that I'm a 230lb rider. Called Diamondback and receive new wheels tires and cassette no questions asked. Still eventually will upgrade the wheels. On trails this bike can take a beating only thing is its full rigid I can't take the beating. I can say the more I ride it on the trails the smother I ride. The cons are the brakes and wheels. It takes a lot of tweaking to get those Avid's to work properly. I hope this help with your bike purchase.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diamondback Haanjo-img_0368%5B1%5D.jpg  

Diamondback Haanjo-img_0371%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    thanks for the post eluv.

the BB5 have got to be easier to dial in than the Tektro Novelas I have on my 29er. Those things are horrid!
    glad my BB7's arrived, waiting on new levers & cables before installing.

I am heavier than you but I am still interested in that Haanjo in spite of the wheels. It will be mostly ridden on pavement of various quality.

I've a mess of performance team points saved up. makes the price point of the bike even more attractive

mtbr member
    @Whacked, for pavement you will be fine. Diamondback's warranty is excellent. I think the wheels i got were not tension properly. I have about 400 miles of both road and trail miles on them and they are holding up. Since you are a bigger rider I would suggest getting wider tires and having Performance tune it after 100 miles.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yea, not too worried really.
    Only issues I had wheel-wise was years ago. Trek 8300 retrue rear wheel shortly after purchase, and good since. I rode that bike HARD.
    My old roadie. broke quite a few spokes when I upgraded the hub and went double butted spokes (kept the same rim). More I think more I suspect a lot of it was poor build. finally tossed it when I found a flat spot on rim. bought a 36H and used it on indoor trainer until BB seized.

Pretty happy with my '11 DB Overdrive 29er. Zero issues with that bike.

If I do buy the bike, I can have the mechanic test spoke tension before I leave.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I like Diamondback , had a Accent MTB I purchased new about 1990'ish.

I am surprised they provided new wheels and all for that as it's pretty common.

I like these type bikes, multi use and they are Much better priced than more specific , growing market bikes.

There are several this style out there - they are all similar, to many come with a poor,pot hole,urban front suspension fork. Good to see more rigid.

Bar ends are nice. I added a Orgin 8 Black Ops (on sale/online) carbon MTB fork to my multi use/cross bike. I keep a set of file tread 33mm (1.5") and a set of 1.8" MTB XC race , low knob tires around. Run them together as a set and/or run the bit more aggressive 1.8 up front with the 38's rear.

Replacement components are readily available and good value...............

Best of luck, nice to see DB doing such

EXORCIZE

2017 Comp Carbon

Stoke demands bump.

I picked this up a month ago as my sole non-MTB bike, to ride anywhere but trails. Previously had a Specialized Roubaix and On-One Pompino, but this suits me much better.

Diamondback Haanjo-haanjo.jpg

Full carbon, mech brakes, 105 kit, 46/36 rings (yes!), Schwalbe 40mm tires on tubeless-ready rims (21mm internal), no-regrets online pricing.

It's a stock 59 except 4 parts from bin:

110mm x 30* Ritchey Pro stem (36.5" bike inseam)
    Specialized carbon Zertz-insert post 27.2 (7 years old, finally getting some use)
    Fizik Gobi XM saddle (Tail Flex & Wing Flex)
    SPD 520 pedals

Absolutely love this bike. Great geometry and fits me really well (and I'm super picky). Fast, fun, stable, tough, comfy. So nice to get a decent bike without the cost/weight/hassle of suspension. I can ride out my front door any time I please, and do.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    I plan on getting one either later this year or early next year. I just sold my Renegade to help pay for my Release as I don't ride the Renegade nearly enough but I know at some point I'll miss have gears for road rides. Probably sooner than later. I'll probably pick up a lower end HAANJO like the comp but that EXP Carbon does look really interesting. The 27.5 wheels might be pretty nice to ride on gravel but just not 100% sure about the barend shifters. Probably worth a close look though once it's time to start shopping.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

EXORCIZE
    Renegade was on my short list along with GT Grade and '18 Diverge.

Renegade is the better conceived bike but I wanted the shortest possible Reach (I have no torso or flexibility) and my riding is mostly asphalt.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    The Grade always looked nice too. The thing that turned me off was the 35c max tire size. I think I read somewhere that some people were squeezing in larger tires...but I wanted something that easily handled at least a 40c tire. The Renegade has 35c tires but will fit 40c no problem and when riding gravel and dirt...the comfort difference in the tire sizes is day and night. The Renegade is an awesome bike for sure. But I just wasn't riding it. Literally like 50 miles this year. All my miles have been on the Private Jake. I wanted a new mountain bike and the only way I could swing it was to sell a bike. Figured I'd sell the Jamis while it still had a little value and then I'd look into something probably next year that's cheaper since it won't see a lot of miles most likely. But I really do like having something with gears in the wings in case I want to bang out a long ride or something with more climbing that I can handle on the single speed.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    All my miles have been on the Private Jake.
    Wouldn't you know - I've been craving a Private Jake SS (or Wolverine) but can't justify a 4th bike. Besides, I sorta ride my Haanjo like a SS. During a recent ride, I was like, "When was the last time I friggin' shiftead???" Stand n' mash; sit; stand 'n mash; sit...

With 40c tires installed, I was surprised my Haanjo had plenty of room for more. I have no plan to use it, but FYI.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

#THELEGEND
    Joining in. I purchased my 2017 Haanjo Trail (ALU) last week using corp discount, received and built it this afternoon. I'm very impressed with the attention to detail DB took when I came to packing the bike. Having unboxed thousands of bike over the years, as a rider and mechanic, I was very impressed. Also found it pretty cool it came with a pedal wrench, torque wrench and tubeless valves. I was also stoked they used zip ties instead of those crappy plastic clips to hold the rear hydro cable.

My bike is mostly stock, XL(59cm) with the exception of Ergon SMC3L saddle and Shimano M530 pedals. I'm 6'4" and find the bike fits damn well in stock form, when I do upgrade the only changes I may make is to get a straight seatpost instead of the layback currently in use. I plan to change stem and bars, but later as the stock is working.

Bike also came stock with Shimano E-Thru axles and centerlock rotors, which I'm impressed again by the Shimano axle instead of the usual crappy Taiwan axles usually specd at this price range. Anyhoo, pics.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Guy.Ford; 19 Hours Ago at 06:22 PM.
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail (Alu)

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    I'm very impressed with the attention to detail DB took when I came to packing the bike. Having unboxed thousands of bike over the years, as a rider and mechanic, I was very impressed.
    Does the red frame look as good in person as online? I couldn't get a look at it, so I played it safe with the matte black.

The Haanjo was the first bike I've ever unboxed, but I couldn't get over how professional and high quality a job had been done. The bolts I removed appeared greased, the Velcro wraps etc. were high quality, and the gears/brakes/tires were practically ready to ride. In fact, I haven't touched the drivetrain and it still runs great after 7-8 rides. This is my first DB and am very impressed overall (except the thru axles, they're cheap, but I got a lower spec than you, Guy).

I personally find the 46mm bar too wide, but I've been curious about that width, so it was worth giving it a shot. Plus the tops have a mild backsweep - don't wrists go other way? Will soon order a 44cm with straight tops and less flare.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

#THELEGEND
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    Does the red frame look as good in person as online? I couldn't get a look at it, so I played it safe with the matte black.

The Haanjo was the first bike I've ever unboxed, but I couldn't get over how professional and high quality a job had been done. The bolts I removed appeared greased, the Velcro wraps etc. were high quality, and the gears/brakes/tires were practically ready to ride. In fact, I haven't touched the drivetrain and it still runs great after 7-8 rides. This is my first DB and am very impressed overall (except the thru axles, they're cheap, but I got a lower spec than you, Guy).

I personally find the 46mm bar too wide, but I've been curious about that width, so it was worth giving it a shot. Plus the tops have a mild backsweep - don't wrists go other way? Will soon order a 44cm with straight tops and less flare.
    The red actually looks better in person than the photos do justice, my wife even made a very positive comment about.

Funny you mention almost getting the red, I almost got the black Haanjo Comp. Sucks to hear about the thru axles on the comp, cool thing is thru can be upgraded to Shimano or Robert Axles which I plan on upgrading too in time. The Robert axle can use hexlox, being that I live in Seattle need to protect my investment.

#THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Nice! I think the Haanjo Trail is going to be my next bike.
    2017 Diamondback Catch 1 FS 27.5+

mtbr member
    The HAANJO EXP Carbon looks very interesting too. Carbon frame, 27.5 wheels and 2.1 tires. Bar end shifters are cool...maybe not everyone's cup of tea. But cool. It is a 3x9 though which is a turnoff but I can see the benefit if someone was using the bike for touring or bikepacking which is the intended purpose. I wonder if any of the other HAANJO bikes can take a 27.5 wheel and tire? That would make for a nice option to be able to have if they can. I'll probably end up on one or a Trail or Comp sometime next year to replace the Renegade I recently sold.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

EXORCIZE
    It is a 3x9 though which is a turnoff but I can see the benefit if someone was using the bike for touring or bikepacking which is the intended purpose. I wonder if any of the other HAANJO bikes can take a 27.5 wheel and tire?
    I recall reading that all carbon Haanjo frames were the same (probably aluminum, too), so you can do either wheel in either frame. I also think that's what DB had in mind when they put a 3x9 on the EXP - that these buyers were likely to be switching sometimes with 700c road wheels and so gave it more flexible gearing. Meanwhile, my lowest gear is 36x32, which is far higher than my 1x11 mountain bike.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Yeah...I was running a 34x36 on my Renegade at the lowest and for my fat butt...I needed every bit of it and at times...more. That's cool though if all the frames have that flexibility.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

EXORCIZE
    Bike also came stock with Shimano E-Thru axles and centerlock rotors, which I'm impressed again by the Shimano axle instead of the usual crappy Taiwan axles usually specd at this price range.
    I think you got a free upgrade. Here's the thru-axle that normally comes with the Carbon Trail. It looks the same as the ones that came with my Carbon Comp. It sounds like yours are different, yes? Mine are cheap but I figured they'd get the job done. And the front one works OK. But the rear one has never worked, and has been a problem since the first time I tried to remove the back wheel a couple days ago. SUPER difficult to remove. Replaced tube. Then I couldn't get it fully reinserted, but enough to get home without issue. Removed it, cleaned/lubed interfaces, attempted to reinstall it, but it got stuck half-way in. Can't remove it! It won't budge. I guess I stripped the handle trying to remove it. And the axle is solid, so I can't insert a hex key in there and unscrew it. Taking it to shop Friday (embarrassing!).

Diamondback Haanjo-axle.jpg
    Last edited by Ryder1; 1 Week Ago at 10:56 PM.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

#THELEGEND
    I think you got a free upgrade. Here's the thru-axle that normally comes with the Carbon Trail. It looks the same as the ones that came with my Carbon Comp. It sounds like yours are different, yes? Mine are cheap but I figured they'd get the job done. And the front one works OK. But the rear one has never worked, and has been a problem since the first time I tried to remove the back wheel a couple days ago. SUPER difficult to remove. Replaced tube. Then I couldn't get it fully reinserted, but enough to get home without issue. Removed it, cleaned/lubed interfaces, attempted to reinstall it, but it got stuck half-way in. Can't remove it! It won't budge. I guess I stripped the handle trying to remove it. And the axle is solid, so I can't insert a hex key in there and unscrew it. Taking it to shop Friday (embarrassing!).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	axle.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	1157582
    Is your bike a 2016 or 17? Maybe the spec was different for the 16 bikes? I've seen pics of other Haanjo Trails with the same axle. I shouldn't really be concerned I plan to upgrade them eventually, but I'm happy they are quality spec.

#THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor

EXORCIZE

I'll be happy if the axle can be removed and the frame becomes usable again. Otherwise it's done. I've had other thru-axles and never gave them much thought.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

#THELEGEND

I'll be happy if the axle can be removed and the frame becomes usable again. Otherwise it's done. I've had other thru-axles and never gave them much thought.
    That's odd and disappointing. Hopefully you or the LBS can get you sorted. When they do I would suggest..
    Name:  Shimano Thru-Axle_QR Skewers.png
Views: 133
Size:  10.5 KB

One negative thing I've noticed from my short time riding the Haanjo is the toe overlap. Like mentioned previously, I'm on an XL, I don't have large feet typically wear between size 11-12 depending on shoe and I definitely have to be careful of pedal placement when taking sharp turns. Not a deal breaker at this point, but has me concerned for long term and considering replacement framesets.
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor

EXORCIZE
    Toe overlap is definitely an issue. I posted about it here. I doubt it would have affected my decision. GT Grade does have a wee bit longer front-center, but there are several things I prefer about the Haanjo.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Has anyone compared the Haanjo Carbon with the Raleigh Roker - the carbon gravel bike from the Raleigh side of the same company. I haven't ridden either yet, but think the geometry of the Roker might avoid some of the quirks of the Haanjo.

#THELEGEND
    Quote Originally Posted by Stepford View Post
    Has anyone compared the Haanjo Carbon with the Raleigh Roker - the carbon gravel bike from the Raleigh side of the same company. I haven't ridden either yet, but think the geometry of the Roker might avoid some of the quirks of the Haanjo.
    I looked at Raleigh, however I didn't want carbon frame, specs for price weren't as good and research regarding toe overlap (most dont consider it a big deal and its common) really pushed me towards the Haanjo. For what I paid for my Haanjo, corp deal pricing, even if I swap to another frame I'm still below what the Roker Sport costs and have much better specs.
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Certainly the carbon framed bikes (Haanjo Carbon or Roker) cost more than the alloy, but the corporate discount sale price of the Haanjo Carbon Comp and the Roker Comp seem comparable as do the builds (105 for the Haanjo and mixture of 105 and Tiagra for the Roker). It just seems that since the bikes are competitive in terms of cost and components (at least for those with the corp discount) and it would be interesting to compare their ride characteristics.

EXORCIZE
    Roker looks great, too. Based on the stay designs, I imagine the Roker would be at least as stiff as the Haanjo.

The Roker would definitely eliminate the toe overlap issue and many will enjoy the lower gears. It might have slightly wider rims.

Both look fantastic IMO. Roker frame/fork are svelte, proportional, traditional, pretty, looks expensive. Haanjo is the bad boy.

Me? Roker's chainstays are 10mm longer at 440mm, and I was looking for 425ish (I'm picky about CS length). Also, Roker has 52mm fork offset and I'm becoming convinced lately that large offsets give too light a steering feel at high speeds (for tall clumsy me), regardless of Trail or head tube angle #s. I can steer my Pivot Mach 429 Trail with a pinky.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

#THELEGEND
    So more awesome news regarding DB, specifically their CS. Gotta say I'm kind of becoming a fan. Too bad none of their full suspension bikes can fit a PUSH Elevensix.

Anyway enough fanboying.

Since getting my Haanjo Trail, I've been having a heck of a time getting my disc calipers to align straight, which I have narrowed down to the disc tabs not being faced. Being a huge proponent of having the brake tabs faced on my bikes, thought I'd just take it to my LBS and git'r done. However, never having faced/had faced a carbon fork, I figured I'd reach out to DB chat this morning to inquire about any concerns. I was informed that because the tabs on the fork have alu inserts, which I was aware, I would be ok to have them faced AND, here's the kicker, DB offered to reimburse me the cost if I choose to send them a receipt. That's pretty damn impressive IMHO. Anyhoo, just thought I'd share in case anyone else is wanting to have their tabs faced or is having issues with brakes aligning properly.

Will let you know how the facing goes. I doubt I'll ask for reimbursement, since it's not generally that expensive to have done.
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    They have great warranty and customer service. It's just too bad it gets used way too often. Hopefully as the brand picks up more steam...they will start addressing the very poor quality control that they have.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

#THELEGEND
    They have great warranty and customer service. It's just too bad it gets used way too often. Hopefully as the brand picks up more steam...they will start addressing the very poor quality control that they have.
    Don't get me wrong, I was in no way implying my Haanjo has QC issues, its not an uncommon issue even with 5-10k bike's, most people are just too lazy to address it and find "workarounds". I'm a bit of a perfectionist, esp when it comes to bikes.
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Don't get me wrong, I was in no way implying my Haanjo has QC issues, its not an uncommon issue even with 5-10k bike's, most people are just too lazy to address it and find "workarounds". I'm a bit of a perfectionist, esp when it comes to bikes.
    I've owned 11 bikes with disc brakes so far and not one needed the tabs faced to get the calipers aligned.

But DB does have some QC issues. Maybe not with the Hannjo. But the Release and Catch line of bikes is plagued with them. I had to send my first Release back and order a new one and even it has some problems.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member
    Too bad none of their full suspension bikes can fit a PUSH Elevensix.
    Why not? Does Push just not offer one tuned for DB? The shock lengths are conventional, so are the leverage ratios.

Also you are talking about putting a $1200 shock on a $1200-$3400 bike

#THELEGEND
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Why not? Does Push just not offer one tuned for DB? The shock lengths are conventional, so are the leverage ratios.

Also you are talking about putting a $1200 shock on a $1200-$3400 bike
    Because of the exhaustive work that goes into building an Elevensix, each shock is specifically built to exacting specs taking into account all sorts of measurements and details for a specific frame design, PUSH only builds the Elevensix for certain bike brand/models.

Every full suspension bike I've had regardless of price point, has had a custom tuned/built shock, either from PUSH, old Romics back in the day and/or Avalanche. I take bikes, esp suspension, very seriously.
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    My 2017 EXP arrived yesterday. I can confirm the cheap axles on mine. Pulled the whole bike apart without even riding it. Putting 1x10 set up on.
    The frame looks very nice, all bolts were greased, packaging was better than some much more expensive frames I've owned.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm considering the Haanjo Trail (aluminum) as a gravel/adventure bike. I would be taking advantage of the corporate discount (like everyone else) plus an extra 10% using a promo code. I only found out about the corporate pricing recently and I'm curious to know if the DB discounts fluctuate much and if I should expect to see better deals as we get into the fall/winter. The current discount is good, but I'm not in a hurry so I'd be willing to wait if I thought a "blowout" sale was likely.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What's thoughts on 2x vs 1x drivetrain? I am quite the fan of the 1x on my plus bike so it makes me want to get a HAANJO with the 1x as well (Comp probably) or am I thinking wrong for this type of a bike?

mtbr member
    I had a 1x and 2x gravel bike. I found that I was often in between gears with the 1x. I either wanted it to be slightly taller or lower. It's something I could have gotten used to but I got rid of that bike before I gave it a chance. Not because of the gearing but for other reasons. The 2x is a bit better if you will be riding longer distances at speed. But...like I said...I think it wouldn't be hard to get used to the 1x or maybe the gearing will just work for you since everyone is different. The comp is actually the one I'll be looking at next year for my new geared gravel bike most likely.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

EXORCIZE
    Gear range is truly massive on the 1x, but the cost is gear jumps noticeably bigger than on most any mountain bike. Heavy cassette, too.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I have a 2015 Haanjo Trail, and one of the rear rack mounts broke off under pretty minimal load. I snapped a couple of pics and uploaded them as part of the on-line warranty claim form.

They said they didn't have any frames like mine, so they sent me a 2017 complete flatbar Haanjo so I could reuse the frame from it. It's the new frame design, so there are a couple of wrinkles to swapping parts from the '15 bike (flat mount disc brakes, and potentially needing new cables all around).

Since the '15 frame is only lacking the rack mount, I've decided to keep it as-is and will strip the 9-speed parts off the '17 frame and build it up with 10-speed and a Velo Orange Crazy Bar.

mtbr member
    Wow....that's pretty awesome.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Wow....that's pretty awesome.
    I was freaking shocked - they could have easily disputed my claim that there was only about 10Kg on the rack, made some excuse that the rack mount didn't warrant frame replacement, etc. I really expected to come away from the whole thing completely disappointed. Instead, they left me feeling I couldn't imagine a realistic way it could have worked out better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Good to know thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Finally got a proper ride on the EXP today. Very nice indeed. Awesome on the dirt roads and trails, so much smoother than my former aluminum RLT with 700 x 40s.
    Set up 1x10 with 40t front and 11-36 rear. 21.5 lbs. with the tubes still in the stock wheels and tires.

EXORCIZE
    Very cool.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit