Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Meh.

Diamondback frames cracking?

Has anybody heard of 2002 to 2005 Diamondback XSL frame cracking? I knew that Diamondback frames had a tendency to crack back in the day, but I thought that Raleigh USA solved that problem when they bought out Diamondback a few years ago. Well, if there are any gruesome stories of cracked frames, let me know. Thanks.

mtbr member

i think you have it backwards

i was told after 2000 when raleigh bought daimondback they turn to crap.BUT, i may be wrong
    i ride a 2000 and i huck it, crash it and beat it and it is doing great.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lemons
    i was told after 2000 when raleigh bought daimondback they turn to crap.BUT, i may be wrong
    i ride a 2000 and i huck it, crash it and beat it and it is doing great.
    I hear it was the other way around. They had weak welds prior to being bought out, and Raleigh helped bring them around. Well... So says about 20 bikeshops around here... I was actually suggested the Diamondback over Kona and Haro for a freeride bike that I would still be able to pedal around for XC.

mtbr member

...hmm, ok

the bike shop i work at stopped carrying diamondback because they had too many flaws after a lower quality company bought them out, changing the design and over all quality for the worse.

Keep The Rubber Side Down

You are correct...

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I hear it was the other way around. They had weak welds prior to being bought out, and Raleigh helped bring them around. Well... So says about 20 bikeshops around here... I was actually suggested the Diamondback over Kona and Haro for a freeride bike that I would still be able to pedal around for XC.
    The number of quality issues all but dissapeared afterh Diamondback was purchased by Raleigh. It is a rare event to see an XSL frame in need of warranty now a days. It happens most often from abuse rather than poor workmanship.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

Ignorance...

the bike shop i work at stopped carrying diamondback because they had too many flaws after a lower quality company bought them out, changing the design and over all quality for the worse.
    Not on your part, Mr. Lemons, but on the part of that shop. There is usually two sides to every story; and I can assure you that there's is not it.

Occidental Tourist
    Has anybody heard of 2002 to 2005 Diamondback XSL frame cracking? I knew that Diamondback frames had a tendency to crack back in the day, but I thought that Raleigh USA solved that problem when they bought out Diamondback a few years ago. Well, if there are any gruesome stories of cracked frames, let me know. Thanks.
    I'm not sure of the years but I cracked one of the old WCF and then one of the Team Issue Easton Tubing, I just got word my replacement is a Topanga - hope it makes a good SS....

mtbr member

allow me to roll my eyes...

"They always tell you about stupid people, but you never really understand until you experience it first hand."-a qoute from Matt, 2004 AD
    M. D. LEMONS

???

"They always tell you about stupid people, but you never really understand until you experience it first hand."-a qoute from Matt, 2004 AD

mtbr member

so to the real topic

is your frame cracking? or are you doing opinionated research? everything can crack when do don't properly care for it.
    M. D. LEMONS

Meh.
    My frame is not cracking, it is brand new, and I have hucked it... But I heard some rumors floating around, so I decided to see if anybody has had these problems. I've had it for a bit over a month (bought frame only and built up with mostly stuff I had lieing around, the stuff is probably worth more than the bike... but oh well), ridden probably close to 150 commuting miles (surprisingly comfortable/easy to pedal for a fs rig) and about 10 hours (200 miles or so?) of trail time on it. Hit some 8 footers and staircases on it. I'm a VERY lightweight rider and I haven't damaged ANY frames beyond repair, so I doubt I'll have much trouble with this. Either way, it's a super plush and easy to handle ride. I just don't understand why Diamondback gets so much cr@p from people. The frame seems to be very well made and the stock components are slightly on the low end to meet a certain price point. *shrug* GT i-drive frames used to crack like crazy, people don't give GT a hard time. And Mongoose... well they'll never be the same... I mean, Pacific owns GT, Mongoose, and Schwinn, but Mongoose seems to have the worst rep. Their 2005 line of bikes looks amazing, but I doubt anybody will have the guts to go anywhere near them.

AGHHHHHHHH!!!! LONG RANT!

Well, the way we see it...

My frame is not cracking, it is brand new, and I have hucked it... But I heard some rumors floating around, so I decided to see if anybody has had these problems. I've had it for a bit over a month (bought frame only and built up with mostly stuff I had lieing around, the stuff is probably worth more than the bike... but oh well), ridden probably close to 150 commuting miles (surprisingly comfortable/easy to pedal for a fs rig) and about 10 hours (200 miles or so?) of trail time on it. Hit some 8 footers and staircases on it. I'm a VERY lightweight rider and I haven't damaged ANY frames beyond repair, so I doubt I'll have much trouble with this. Either way, it's a super plush and easy to handle ride. I just don't understand why Diamondback gets so much cr@p from people. The frame seems to be very well made and the stock components are slightly on the low end to meet a certain price point. *shrug* GT i-drive frames used to crack like crazy, people don't give GT a hard time. And Mongoose... well they'll never be the same... I mean, Pacific owns GT, Mongoose, and Schwinn, but Mongoose seems to have the worst rep. Their 2005 line of bikes looks amazing, but I doubt anybody will have the guts to go anywhere near them.

AGHHHHHHHH!!!! LONG RANT!
    Ignorance is not always bliss:
    Raleigh & Diamondback Freeride pics

mtbr member
    I had a 1997 V-Link 1.1 and got five, 600 to 800 mile seasons out of it before a few tiny hairline cracks appeared. It was a wonderful bike that Diamondback was kind enough to warrantyfor me. Rather than wait for a new frame, I opted for a $200 discount off a leftover 2001 XTS-3 that was in the shop. Aluminum frames have a fatigue life and Diamondback, as far as I'm concerned went above and beyond what most companies do and their bikes are getting better.

gschacht

cracking Diamondback frame

I have the 1999 DBR X-6 (made in Portland, OR) these are 6000 series heat treated aluminum - they do not break or crack - cracking frames are either poor designs, poor material choice or used for other than designed purposes. If you have to have a 25 lbs bike something has to give and it is usually the frame. Go to www.mtbreview and you will see what owners of many brands/models have to say about frame durability and get an idea of which ones to stay away from.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    I'm not sure of the years but I cracked one of the old WCF and then one of the Team Issue Easton Tubing, I just got word my replacement is a Topanga - hope it makes a good SS....
    So far so good...gonna be one light SS.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg SS.jpg (112.4 KB, 1783 views)
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    i just got a diamondback coil ex....i love it haven't hit any trails, my first bike plust weather kinda been crappy...hoping this forum will give me some decent places to ride in oregon and get into it more...but i love my bike so far, seems strong....and i remember when diamondback had all the weld problems, so i was a lil scared to buy it too, but the guy at the shop said he's rode one and totally abused it and it held up really well.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

xts moto

My xts moto feels solid and has no problems. I am shopping for a 66rc right now. Anyone looking for a jr t.

John Galt

V-Link swingarm cracks

Experience and some web research (user posts and even people selling them on Ebay who sent me close-up photos) has shown that it is common these days for the V-Link and V6, 8, 10 swingarms to have cracks on one or both side where they attache to the main triangle near the bottom bracket. I strongly suspect that this is related to overtightening of the screw (or screws) in this location. See the web link below for a photo (this is the home page and you'll see a link to the frame crack photo):

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Go...9/dbrvlink.htm

I have a V-Link frame with this same problem and it seems perfectly ridable so far, despite loud, constant creaking which developed recently and which I hope I remedied yesterday with some double-stick tape and grease. I have creaked my way through some rocky and fairly technical trails (Rock-It at Aliso-Wood Canyon in Orange County, for example) with no real problems. The site above is what made me aware of this problem, as my bike wasn't squeaking yet (thanks to the site owner!!).

My V10 frame (not built up now, but I bought it well used) does not have this problem and the two screws in question (one on each side) weren't very tight when I got it. These screws were very tight when I got my V-Link (Sept. 2004) and the crack was barely there, then quickly went all the way through the metal as I put miles on it. Note that it had not been ridden for a long time when I got it from a police auction.

I hope this serves as a "buyer beware" item on these used frames and as a tip for those who already have them. That being said, I'll repeat that my bike seems perfectly rideable, even in rough situations.

Cegrover

John Galt

Frankenbike! (V-Link update)

I finally changed out swingarms using the good piece from my V10 backup frame on my V-Link 3.2. I'll tweak and tune tonight and we'll see how it's doing. I haven't re-finished the V10 piece, so I now have an orange swingarm and a polished seatstay - thus the Frankenbike title.

In taking apart the V10, I found another crack! This was on the piece where the 'seat stay' mounts to the swingarm, near the dropout (drive side - near der hanger).

The good news is the broken parts on each frame are different, so I have pieced together a good, whole bike. The bad news is I've found another weak point. I love the V-Link handling, weight and feel and hope that these pieces hold together!

As with the swingarm cracking problem, I think this failure is the result of overtightening of screws by previous owners and/or their shops. This may also be the result of ~7-8 years of fatigue (?). I am going to take some photos soon to show these problem areas.

Cegrover

Isn't it time to invest in a new frame?

John Galt

Cool-blue Rhythm New Frame???

Where's the fun in that? Maybe I'm the only V-Link "enthusiast" out here?! It also might be that I'm too much of a car guy to accept that any relatively simple mechanical device has reached the end of its service life after a mere 7 years. Yes, my tongue is firmly in cheek. Nonetheless, I'm strangely drawn to the idea of making this bike work and I really enjoy riding it on all types of trails.

I promised photos for anyone who cares. Here's a web site I quickly set up with those photos, etc:

http://www.geocities.com/cegrover/DBR

I even included a spec list to show off my odd collection of Ebay and other parts... Perhaps one day millions of V-Link collectors will drool over this site! Perhaps not.

Enjoy?
    Cegrover

Riding with...
    dont worry about it, if it snaps they will replace it.

my friend had a diamondback coil, and beat the piss out of it and snapped the swingarm., even told the guys at diamondback, and said u dont have to replace it, i was just letting you know i snapped my swing arm, and seing what u could do. they upgraded his whole frame to the coil ex and gave him a better sr suntour fork, hussefelt cranks (had to pay some for) and a DH BB ( had to pay some for as well) because his where on its way out. now he has a sick bike that he payed about 140 bucks for. awesome company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.
    "Quick, pass the bike up again so i can hit it before it starts to hurt!!"

AIM: Haroracer842

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinM[Freerider]
    dont worry about it, if it snaps they will replace it.

my friend had a diamondback coil, and beat the piss out of it and snapped the swingarm., even told the guys at diamondback, and said u dont have to replace it, i was just letting you know i snapped my swing arm, and seing what u could do. they upgraded his whole frame to the coil ex and gave him a better sr suntour fork, hussefelt cranks (had to pay some for) and a DH BB ( had to pay some for as well) because his where on its way out. now he has a sick bike that he payed about 140 bucks for. awesome company.
    Meh no worries about it. It's been just over a year. Frame is still running strong. Upgraded since there was a little too much flex for my taste. Lots and lots of upgrades into it (sponsor hook-ups and employee purchases). It's actually up for sale now.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/bik/97395211.html

Azonic Headlock
    Azonic Shorty Deluxe Stem
    Manitou Sherman Firefly Fork
    Stratos Helix Expert rear shock
    Shimano Deore Shifters
    Shimano Deore Front Derailleur
    Shimano XTR rear derailleur
    Hayes HFX 9 Hyrdaulic disc brakes
    Handlaced Alex wheelset
    SRAM cassette
    SRAM PC69 chain
    RaceFace Prodigy DH cranks - Salsa chainrings - 22-32-bash
    Truvativ DH bottom bracket
    Kona Jackshit Primo Platform pedals
    Ritchey Seatpost

Looking for around 800 for it. Price negotiable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I had a 03 diamondback XSL and broke the frame. Diamondback replaced it for no charge with an 04 XSL trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

no cracks yet

I have a 05 xsl comp and ride alot. I try to jump everything in my way on the trails and I havent had any problems yet. I am A light rider at 140lbs so I dont think I am putting to much stress on it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast