mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Diamondback at Costco - May not want to ride this one.

So Diamondback is selling at Costco, see this picture. I hope no one rides this. So what's wrong with this picture?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diamondback at Costco - May not want to ride this one.-costco-pic.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    LOL! And now they are sold at Costco.. DB has officially been downgraded - sold their souls.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Great set-up.... Is DB sold at Dick's any more? Looks like they are carrying SE instead. I guess they are out of bike shops too. Way to kill your name! Poor built bike, mart stores and cheaper bikes. Time to switch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fredS01 View Post
    LOL! And now they are sold at Costco.. DB has officially been downgraded - sold their souls.
    LOL. Take a deep breath... If you were a large bicycle company and wanted to continue to grow so that you don't end up like some of the other large bicycle companies. What would you do? You have a complete bicycle line up that runs from $159-$10,000. You're not going to sell a very high volume of the entry level bikes in that $159-$299 range at your local LBS. So you find different avenues to increase exposure and sales. Look at Cannondale. Top level bike company. Recognized right up there with the biggest of the big. Had to be rescued by Pacific Cycle/Dorel in a buyout. Where do you see Pacific Cycles? Wal Mart. Target. Toys-R-Us.

Several Specialized frames are built by Giant in Giant's facility! Some Bontrager(Trek) stuff is also contracted out to Giant's facility. So is Scott!
    So Giant must be the shiznit right? Wait... That $149 Schwinn bicycle you see at Wal Mart? A majority of those also built by Giant!
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by patmcginn768 View Post
    So Diamondback is selling at Costco, see this picture. I hope no one rides this. So what's wrong with this picture?

Looks like an Edgewood. The forks turned around offer better response over small bumps, and shortens the wheelbase so that the bike is more agile for technical riding. The vertical mounted brake pads offer better stopping power.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Yes they sold their souls...

Trying to figure a way to carve out market share when most established LBS are already tightly tied in with Trek, Cannondale, Specialized is difficult. The marketing dollars involved with buying mindshare is enormous....like Trek and Specialized. Did I mention Specialized? Lots of money.

Yes one day Diamondback might disappear but right now their mid to hi end offerings are excellent with quality to match- even the lower end of there newest 2015 Mission is phenomenal!!!!! What is pictured above and what is pictured below are so far apart that they aren't even on the same planet.

We'd all like to believe that the bike we own is the very best of the best and sets us apart from the rest....truth is a company hasn't lost its soul until its sued the daylights out of the industry, each other and its own customers and partners. Sound familiar?

Diamondback at Costco - May not want to ride this one.-aaa-dbscgt2014-640x463-.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    ^^ the funny thing or maybe the "irony" of the whole situation is that Specialized uses Giant's Factory to build frames, so does Trek/Bontrager , and Scott, and, and... LOL

Then on top of all that, Giant also builds a pretty good portion of the $149 Schwinn bikes you see at Walmart.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Wow... DB in Costco and Walmart! I saw it online on Costco. Way to kill the Diamondback name. The fork was backwards and the chain was off the crank, and cheaper than Dick's and Performance. Performance guy suggested that I buy Fuji or SE instead, better quality. I was thinking getting the Breezer or GT at Performance. And why does Diamondback sell on Amazon?

workin' it Administrator
    Um Diamondback is also sold through Performance bike. The Performance guy is giving you the run around probably to try and sell what is on his floor at the moment.

Diamondback makes all levels of bikes as does Fuji. SE is a side brand of the company that owns Fuji in america (https://www.advancedsports.com/).

At the price point of a bike you find at Costco you will see no difference in the quality of the frame. At this pricepoint you should look to get the best components you can for the price. Costco had a Diamondback 29er last season that was better speced and priced than anything you would find elsewhere. So what if it was assembled incorrectly? You take it home, fix it yourself or take your dollars saved and go to your local bike shop and get it tuned up, buy a new helmet and gloves and make some connections to a local business.

Giant makes a lot of manufacturers bikes because before there was giant bikes there was giant bike manufacturer. Eventually they decided that they could compete against the bikes they made for other manufacturers so they started their own brand. Lots of bikes are made by a few manufacturers but it doesn't make them the same bikes just made in the same factory. Proprietary materials, design, etc are all unique to the same brands.

Don't sell diamondback or any other brand short because they sell bikes at a low margin. If anything those low margin bike are supporting their high end bikes: Diamondback Bicycles - Mission Pro 27.5 . Without these at costco we wouldn't have these other highly rated bikes.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yep - the Perfomance Fuji and Breezer bike was on sale, looks like a good buy. When I went to Dick's they told they are carrying less Dimondback, same story at Performance. Performance had some nice GT's and Fuji's and Scantte road bikes. Looks like Diamondback is selling old leftover models at Costco. Giant new prices look awesome, thanks for the reference! And looks like Trek is selling some lower end models. Looks like Diamondback is becoming the leftovers choice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    They make a bike for every budget. What is the problem?
    I like to ride my bike.