mtbr member
    Mar 2018

diamondback atroz comp noob post (help me out lol)

Sooo im new here, have been riding an older Specialized Rockhopper around for the past year but still pretty new to mountain biking and learning. The bike is pretty good but a tad too small (hand me down). I've done a bunch of research already and without dropping $1600+ I am pretty set on a Diamondback Atroz Comp from Nashbar. It seems like the cheapest "quality" FS bike that can be purchased new, with any shortcomings upgradable in the aftermarket. I've heard its on the heavier side but I'd like to think I'm in great shape anyway. Also for my type of riding (trails around MD) it seems perfectly suited to someone of my skill level. I'll probably keep this bike for a while even if I do upgrade, just in case i need a back up or a friend wants to ride too.

I have a few questions though!
    -looking at the latest Atroz models the suspension is on the bottom as opposed to the top like the nashbar atroz comp (which looks just like the recoil). Is this a big difference?

-Would I be better off saving some money over the comp and buy the newer regular atroz and just upgrading the bike/getting a new bike down the road? or even the recoil/recoil comp? they look identical minus the components.

-Lastly it seems the large sized bikes are 20". I am about 6'-6'1" ishhh 180 with longer arms n legs. Do you think I'd also end up feeling cramped on this bike? anyone similarly sized have experience? I've rode a Large sized FS bike which prompted me to want to upgrade in the first place. I believe it was a 21" though.

I know these have been answered probably a hundred times but I hope I've narrowed down these questions so they arent annoying to you guys! I'd appreciate any help...or if you have alternative suggestions Im open to those as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I have the Nashbar Atroz Comp and been riding it for over a year now. It is a great bike for the money. Things I would keep in mind is that it will be a little harder to upgrade than a newer bike. The head tube is not tapered and the rear dropouts are QR. Wheels and a fork might be hard to upgrade. With that said, the fork is good enough for most average trails. I did upgrade the wheels on mine and went tubeless. With the money spent I could have just bought a better bike. I ended up getting a Release 4C this month. Still love the Atroz but the Release is so much better.

If you can afford it look at the Release 1 which is around $1500 on Aventuron. Free shipping and no tax. It has a much better suspension, modern frame, tubeless ready and better components. No need to upgrade it. for a while.