mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Which diamond back?

Are diamondbacks any good? I am a xc type rider with under 3grand to spend. I ride colorado with occational trips to moab/fruita so I need a xc type bike with decent travel. thought that they were **** but then I did some poking around and it sounds like they might be a decent bike for the $$. Do any come with a thru axle fork? Which model do you suggest?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have a 2012 Sortie 29er and love it!!! It's a great bike...

answer is yes!

Appalachian Highlander
    As someone who has been riding Diamondbacks since the early 1990's, I'll vouch for the quality of their bikes. Like a lot of bike makers (GT, Mongoose, Litespeed, Schwinn, Nishiki, Univega, Chance, ProFlex, etc.) who were doing great things in the 1990's-- the early 2000's were hard on Diamondback. But DB is back to making some really great bikes.
    I can personally vouch for the Sortie series as a really nice XC/Trail rig, and an outstanding value.

mtbr member
    DB overdrive , lovin it
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

Let the good times roll.
    I used to have a db mission as a heavy duty AM rig, and that was one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. Especially the geometry and suspension. I've spent time on the sortie, and that's a great bike for trail riding. Both have TA forks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have Diamondback Coil and it is great as a beginner. Hard to find those anymore though but look into Diamondback recoil if you are looking for value

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trucha View Post
    Are diamondbacks any good? I am a xc type rider with under 3grand to spend. I ride colorado with occational trips to moab/fruita so I need a xc type bike with decent travel. thought that they were **** but then I did some poking around and it sounds like they might be a decent bike for the $$. Do any come with a thru axle fork? Which model do you suggest?

Where in Colorado? I have a 2010 Sortie Black size medium. If you live near Castle Rock we could swap bikes while riding at Ridgeline.

mtbr member
    The sortie29 1 is setup really good for a sub-2k bike. Looks awesome as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xizang11 View Post
    As someone who has been riding Diamondbacks since the early 1990's, I'll vouch for the quality of their bikes. Like a lot of bike makers (GT, Mongoose, Litespeed, Schwinn, Nishiki, Univega, Chance, ProFlex, etc.) who were doing great things in the 1990's-- the early 2000's were hard on Diamondback. But DB is back to making some really great bikes.
    I can personally vouch for the Sortie series as a really nice XC/Trail rig, and an outstanding value.
    You've ridden DB'S since the early 90s too? great to see another old school DBEr of the 90s I did take my breaks from mtb riding from 98-2010 now I'm back with recoil comp!

Butts Up Fast!
    Mission or Sortie will fit the bill for ya. And the new Missions and Sortie 3 or Black have 142mm rear thru axles too!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    overdrive!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    loving my 2012 Overdrive Comp. Best value ever!

mtbr member
    i just sold my old axis, looking another another DB, maybe a Sortie - not sure how it compares to Trek Fuel EX6?

mtbr member
    All the reviews I have seen on the sortie says its great, except for the super flexy rear end.

Let the good times roll.
    I admit I'm not the best person to comment since I usually don't have issues with flex, but I think the Sortie is stiffer than most 5" trail bikes.

Rogue Exterminator
    Overdrive here but I am a newb with nothing really to compare it too.

No complaints though.

Wasting time
    ^ Im with you..Ive got a '12 recoil and im loving it, but its my first one so i dont have much to go off of.
    2012 Diamondback Recoil

-I keep finding more bikes I "need"

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've had a Vertec Pro since 2001, i still love it. i am upgrading though but not selling the Diamondback.