Thread: DB Topanga FS

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

DB Topanga FS

Hello good people,

Last year I decided to start biking so my fiancee and I went to a Sports Authority and bought the Topanga FS. Once I was able to do ~50miles on easy trails I started riding with my intense/racing xc buddies. They all ride specialized/trek bikes, some hardtail some FS. Naturally I wanted a better bike once I saw their big hydro brakes, sick light hardtails ext.
    I wanted to get the sortie, since we do as much climb and decent. But my DB was a bday gift and I just couldnt tell my fiancee that I dont want my current bike It has the same frame os DB recoil and since ppl say its a good frame ima stick with it till it brakes.
    It actually performs extremely well. I can easily keep up with my friends.
    I did change it a bit.
    Got BB7 brakes, 185/160rear
    Fox RP2 which is awesome
    Specialized Pro-Set Stem 21deg x 90mm it puts me in a much more conftable position
    Different pedals

I broke it down to just the frame

Frame is size 20@8.32lb witch I think is not bad.
    The damn Suntour fork is 8lb lol. I might be able to pick up RockShox Tora 289 85-130mm this wednesday. Its on a different bike, not used but already cut so we'll see.
    Also getting a new set of wheels since the stock once need to be trued pretty often. Cheap single walled.

I also decided to disassemble the fork and grease it. So easy to do.

So I was wondering if its actually worth getting new stuff as it wears down or just ride it out till it cant ride no more and buy something else? Ultimately i would like a SLX 2ring crankset with sram x.7 or x.9 drive train. I rode my friends 2x9 Stumpjumper and the 36t ring was just awesome on the trails we do. What you guys think?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It you rebuild it with ll the new stuff its gonna be a fresh ride. Thing is if you got your mind on that sortie, well no matter what you do to the topanga yer always gonna want the other. Since you feel a bit guilty about it, go buy a white sortie, sell the stock topanga and she never gotta know the difference!

cycle dad
    Buy a rock shox recon with 120mm of travel so you don't have to upgrade again in two years. keep upgrading piece by piece until you get a new frame.

I sold my birthday gift bike after 4 months (it was a monster Iron Horse yakuza aniki 45lbs) and my wife was thoroughly torqued at me. She still doesn't understand. She said I would never get another bike for my birthday. Then the next year I got a Mission 2.
    Don't sell it too soon or your fiance will get mad.
    She won't understand. She will get over it, but she won't understand.
    Still, be honest with your woman. Keep upgrading this beast, and then in one year buy a sortie frame. Tell her you got too skilled for this frame and needed an upgrade.
    She will believe that. It may even be true.
    Switch all the new stuff over to the sortie frame, build this one up with cheap stuff and sell it for enough to cover the frame you bought and show her and she will be cool with it. If might not even count as your next b-day gift.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Upgrade everything on it. Thats pretty much what I did, I love riding this thing:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DB Topanga FS-my-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 420_mtb View Post
    Upgrade everything on it. Thats pretty much what I did, I love riding this thing:
    What forks do u have in there? Or what forks can I put in there. Sorry for the noob question, but I have this bike and need a new fork. If could give me the sizing for the fork I would need, I would really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Good job! Topanga FS RE-vamped

DB Topanga FS-null_zpsc357a1c1.jpgDB Topanga FS-null_zpsa5794cd9.jpgupgrade everything on the bike is pretty much what you have to do because most of the stock parts that come on the bike are pretty much RUBBISH ! I just picked up this bike up off CL for about $150 and already upgraded many of the parts on the bike. SO I'll try to put up some pics of my ride I still got some work to do on this thing but its coming along I still need a good rear shock and couple other parts ... anyway here it is !!! here is a list of the parts I've already changed out 1. 31.8mm highrise bars aluminum anodized 2. Truvativ 60mm Down Hill Neck 3. GT Grips 4. Truvativ Fire X cranks 5. Vader seat 6. Double walled Rims so far.