Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

DB Scapegoat

8K views 64 replies 21 participants last post by  vokeswaagin 
#1 ·
Hey guys...I just recently picked up an 09 scapegoat frame. I'm having trouble deciding on a fork. I was curious if anybody uses a marz 66 (180mm) with one or a mission even? The guy that I bought the frame from used a 66 on it, he didn't really say he liked it or disliked it, I haven't really seen anybody reppin custom scapegoat builds so I was curious about extending front travel another 20mm. Stock travel is 160.

#31 ·
The '09 M3 was the strongest Mission frame I've gotten so far. Mine lasted about 2 years and finally cracked at the top tube - shock mount weld. I was happy to get that much time out of a frame given its light weight and how I ride. I expected about the same or even better from the '10 M3 I was given as a replacement. Nope. That one cracked in the usual spot (down tube - knuckle box weld) after just 4 months.

So don't buy a new Mission expecting better longevity. Not that it's a bad bike or anything. The redesigned frame performs like a champ. I still love mine even after breaking it so quickly. I plan to keep riding it until the warranty ends next year. But then it will be time to get something different and hopefully stronger.

#32 ·
The '09 M3 was the strongest Mission frame I've gotten so far. Mine lasted about 2 years and finally cracked at the top tube - shock mount weld. I was happy to get that much time out of a frame given its light weight and how I ride. I expected about the same or even better from the '10 M3 I was given as a replacement. Nope. That one cracked in the usual spot (down tube - knuckle box weld) after just 4 months.

So don't buy a new Mission expecting better longevity. Not that it's a bad bike or anything. The redesigned frame performs like a champ. I still love mine even after breaking it so quickly. I plan to keep riding it until the warranty ends next year. But then it will be time to get something different and hopefully stronger.
You cracked another one! A NEW 10 model! Damn dude. That is crazy.:madman:

Maybe "pushing" your shock = cracked frame :confused:

#36 ·
Facts? My first 2 '07 frames had the stock Float R. Those were the frames that failed within a couple months. My 3rd frame lasted 2 years with custom tuned shocks. Not bad IMO considering the kind of abuse I put it through almost every day. I'm still convinced that aggressive riding and high mileage are my main problems.

But maybe you have a point. Maybe something about my Monarch's tune isn't good. I'll look into that. Maybe call PUSH next week to talk about how shock tune could extend/prolong frame life besides controlling bottom out forces.

#40 ·
Ive been riding an 09 Mission frame since April. Every weekend w/ some semi aggressive trail riding. I am about 200lbs with so far (fingers crossed no cracks). I bought the frame practically new. Not a scratch and barely used. So now I am worried about breaking her, but I just trail ride with the occasional 2-3 ft drop. I do have an oppurtunity to buy a 2009 Giant Reign frame with a Monarch rebuilt for 600.00. What did the frame act like when the cracks came??? It's black so it's hard to find the cracks.

#41 ·
Ive been riding an 09 Mission frame since April. Every weekend w/ some semi aggressive trail riding. I am about 200lbs with so far (fingers crossed no cracks). I bought the frame practically new. Not a scratch and barely used. So now I am worried about breaking her, but I just trail ride with the occasional 2-3 ft drop. I do have an oppurtunity to buy a 2009 Giant Reign frame with a Monarch rebuilt for 600.00. What did the frame act like when the cracks came??? It's black so it's hard to find the cracks.
Giant Reign sounds tempting. Maybe go for it out of curiosity. Ride it for a few months, then sell the frame you like least. That's exactly what I'm doing now with a new GT Sanction I found on ebay for $500. Call in an extended demo experience. :)

But don't switch frames just because you're concerned about cracks. I've seen other popular 6-7" travel frames end up cracked. It's not a widespread problem with the Mission, and I think your chances are good for not having any issues. I'm the only person I know who has killed a Mission made '09 or later. I'm a bit lighter than you (180 geared up), but I was doing way more than 2-3 ft drops and riding almost every day. I still think the Mission is a durable AM bike, and an excellent choice for anyone not planning to go too far with freeriding or DH racing. For what it's worth, my '09 frame lasted the longest (a bit over 2 years).

Cracks on black are easy to spot with a quick visual inspection. I think I heard squeaks on the second frame, but that's about it. No difference in ride or feel with the cracks. If not for my frequent checks, I probably would have kept riding on the damaged frames for a few more weeks right up to a catastropic failure.

Attachments

#42 ·
I have a Trek session for my agressive riding. I jst bought a cheap frame on PB just to have something to follow my friends on some cardio rides. The great feel of the Mission is what actually got me more into the AM style riding. I am really pleasantly surprised about the Mission so much that I spared no expense on building it up. BuT the Reign is tempting .I have heard that it hasn't gone without it's problems though. I am gonna think on it while. Xmas is on it's , and money will be getting a lttle tight during my seasonal layoff. In your experience was DB an easy company to deal with in cases of warranty?? Thanks so much for your reply. this puts my mind at ease. BT

#45 ·
FYI--->No Scapegoat for 2012.......being shelved. only gonna be offered as a frame set so i have been told. At least that is there plan now.

#48 ·
Any idea why DB has decided not to sell the Scapegoat as a complete bike these past two years?

I picked up a 2012 Sortie 3 a month or so ago and love it. I've been eyeing the 2012 Scapegoat for a light DH/FR bike but have yet to see any available. I did notice that I could get a hold of a frameset though. I'm just wondering the reasoning. Perhaps it's too niche of a bike (and too expensive)? Seems like a shame...

#50 ·
I was told by a DB Corporate rep a while back that there wasn't enough dealer demand for it, so frame only is the only thing available

#49 ·
I'm not sure BUT there is another compny that is the same exact bike as the scapegoat full build. I saw one in my local woods. I think their a bit less money too. Focus Bikes. They are a French company that are setting up in the US with a Fullspectrum of hi end bikes From Road to AM/FR and all in between. Looks like they just copied the DB Mission/Scapegoat or the Commencal Meta rather than come up with a new design. The Focus line does look more appealing, though. The Thunder is the Mission. and The Project is like the scapegoat. focus-bikes.com ...check it out.

#51 ·
Focus and Diamondback had the same parent company so design wasn't copied but shared within a company.....Derby Cycle. Focus bikes are manufactured in Germany...Project= Mission (~6" travel front and back) Thunder=Sortie (~5" travel)....no scapegoat there either.

#52 ·
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I didn't feel the need to make another Scapegoat thread since there's already one established.. Anyway..

Digging my scapegoat but was wondering if anyone knows of any way to shorten the chain stays a bit?
Are there any older versions with shorter stays that could be swapped, etc? I feel that the 440mm (17.32") is a little on the long side.. thats like full on DH race bike long. Yes, its stable at mach speeds but it sure would be nice to be able to get that front wheel up a little easier at times..
Running a 45mm stem, helps quite a bit but I'm a little hesitant to go any shorter..

edit:
pic for gits and shiggles

#54 ·
Its pretty much my do-everything-bike right now but with an emphasis on shuttling the fun stuff.. that pic was taken at the bottom of Post Canyon while waiting for the shuttle.
But it also does duty as my trail bike.. planning on going 2x9 and lacing up some lighter rims to aid on the climbs..

Hitting the right FMX line

#55 ·
Since this thread seems to be Scapegoat specific, what do you guys think about the 2012 Scapegoat frameset? I can get one through work at almost half off. I don't want to wait for the 2013 stuff to become available, because DB might not offer us deals next year…

Thanks!

#56 ·
I think it's a great bike! Excellent handling, smooth suspension, dialled geo, good tunignoptions with the rear shock... I'd have one now if not for the crazy deals Titus has on the El Guapo. I don't know if the 2013 frame is upgraded internally (more reinforcements ?), but all the major stuff seems the same. I think it looks nice too. :)No reason to wait IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.