Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

DB Response XE 29er

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  RSDSav 
#1 ·
2 Part question for you guys about the front shock.

The suntour xctv3 fork that came on this bike is really a piece of garbage in my opinion. When I stand up and try to crank on the bike to go up steep hills the front shock is like a pogo stick. There is no way to lock it out and I THINK it is set to its stiffest position. Anyone else have this problem?

If it cant be fixed I was thinking I will probably have to get a new front fork to replace it. I have read on here that a brand x fusion shox is pretty good for the money. Anyone have any opinions if they are any good or not and if you have one which model do you have or suggest.

Thanks

#2 ·
I have this bike with an X-Fusion RL2 front end. Best $300 bucks I've ever spent on Bike parts. The 20" frame is a great (tall guy, short torso) compromise. The fork is really amazing. I've ridden a number of different air forks and this one is the smoothest and most plush I can remember. I would highly recommend this combination. Hard to get a magnesium stanchion fork on 29er for less than 1200 bucks. I've found this to be a good compromise (although it may be time to upgrade to hydraulic brakes before too long).

#4 ·
I'll be getting the rock shox xc32tk in a couple weeks here for my response xe 29er. The xct is junk, the 28mm stanchions just aren't doing it for me and my 240 lbs. you're right about uphill climbs too...look into a sealed cartridge bottom bracket too, that'll be the next thing to go if it hasn't already...everything else on the bike I like, and yeah, hydro brakes are coming soon too, although my tekro novelas have done a decent job, surprisingly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I'll be getting the rock shox xc32tk in a couple weeks here for my response xe 29er. The xct is junk, the 28mm stanchions just aren't doing it for me and my 240 lbs. you're right about uphill climbs too...look into a sealed cartridge bottom bracket too, that'll be the next thing to go if it hasn't already...everything else on the bike I like, and yeah, hydro brakes are coming soon too, although my tekro novelas have done a decent job, surprisingly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You know sr suntour allows you to upgrade to a different fork for a discounted price? if you head over to www.srsuntourns.com click on consumer you'll see the upgrade program and the details for it. But on the other hand your selection of the rock shox is not a bad decision at all and will be a huge improvement over the stock shocks. I own the 26" version and love the bike I changed out a few things on it but other than that she rides pretty nice.

#5 ·
The fork will help a lot. Bottom bracket would also be a decent upgrade for the cost. As long as your brakes are working good for you. I wouldn't get too caught up. Yes hydros are awesome. But at yet another additional cost for a good set. Pretty soon you will have more in upgrades than you did in the purchase price of the bike. And sometimes that's not a horrible thing. Just use good judgement.

I always ask, "Would you put a $5000 set of BBS magnesium racing wheels/tires off of a Porsche 911 Turbo on 2001 Honda Civic because they fit, and look awesome?" Lol

#10 ·
I too am having the same issues with my front forks and want to upgrade. Which specific rockshocks forks should I get for my Response 29er?

I was thinking these Amazon.com : RockShox XC32TK Crown Adjust Solo 100mm Air Fork, Black, 29-Inch : Bike Suspension Forks : Sports & Outdoors
Just over $200 for an air fork, that is very nice. Key is setting the proper air pressure and rebound on any fork to help with it acting like a "pogo stick". That RS XC32 is a good upgrade over what you are running now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.