mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Curious about the "knucklebox" system..

Hey folks, for those who actually did riding comparisons, 'just curious on how the "knucklebox" handles (climbing, descending,etc) if compared to other suspension sustems (Horst, DW, VPP, ect.). TIA....
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

Singletrack Slayer
    I have owned many of those designs and ridden them a lot. Been on DB's for 4 yrs now, Sorties and Mission. Got to say, it does it all really damn well! I DH my Mission and then XC it the next week, I can't find any down side to it really, to me DW link feels soft at first and gets way to progressive, Horst link with older suspension tech was great at DH but not the best pedaler, FSR is a good pedaler but I don't think it does DH and/or handles as well. The VPP is really nice, DB seems to have a better Progressive curve to it than VPP IMO ; but feels similar.
    Got to also consider the many brands designs using the linkages, DB is low, tight, and well balanced. And the suspension technology advances, etc....

I would put the Knuckle box in my top 5 designs I've seen in my 15yrs of riding FS bikes, design, performance and durablitiy. Just my 2 cents.
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I just ordered a VPP Tallboy. One regret I must admit was not being able to find a Sortie 29er to give a try on to compare with the Tallboy. I tried the other brands but the DB Sortie 29er alluded me. Here in Chattanooga I haven't found these in a 29er. I wished I could've demoed one, sound like it would be similar to the Tallboy. For the price too, DB is very affordable. Even their high end stuff with components comes in at a great price point, I just couldn't find one. Even though my TB should be here soon, I still would like to try a Sortie 29er. I don't see them on the trail either, however I don't see Tallboy's on the trail here either. Lots of treks, Specialized, have seen some overdrives though, but those are hard tails. The Sortie 29er looks very similar to the Tallboy with 120 fox and RP23 rear, but wonder how they perform? So more on the knucklebox.
    Last edited by Rev. 14; 04-30-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Singletrack Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    I just ordered a VPP Tallboy. One regret I must admit was not being able to find a Sortie 29er to give a try on to compare with the Tallboy. I tried the other brands but the DB Sortie 29er alluded me. Here in Chattanooga I haven't found these in a 29er. I wished I could've demoed one, sound like it would be similar to the Tallboy. For the price too, DB is very affordable. Even their high end stuff with components comes in at a great price point, I just couldn't find one. Even though my TB should be here soon, I still would like to try a Sortie 29er. I don't see them on the trail either, however I don't see Tallboy's on the trail here either. Lots of treks, Specialized, have seen some overdrives though, but those are hard tails. The Sortie 29er looks very similar to the Tallboy with 120 fox and RP23 rear, but wonder how they perform? So more on the knucklebox.
    WHAT! You live in chatty too! So do I, I could get you a 29er Sortie! I work the bike dept at DSG. LOL too funny, Anytime you wana try my Mission let me know
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hey David, unfortunately I already ordered the Tallboy, its been about 5 weeks already and the LBS thinks it may be this week or next week that it will arrive. "The one that got away" syndrome is what I think of when I think of the Sortie 29er 3. I say that because I never got to demo one. I studied this out long before I made a purchase. I had my mind on the Scalpel 29er also but man Cannondale wants your right arm and again no LBS have Scalpels. For the money the Tallboy was more economical than a Scalpel. I'm already also considering the new Tallboy LT model. I know I can get rid of the Tallboy no problem I know that, but I would need to demo the Sortie. I'm very curious about the knucklebox. I must say it is something I've never seen on any bike, looks really cool too. I've some of them anodized in blue colors and some in red colors. What is DSG?

mtbr member
    I actually have one of each suspension system (except for DW) and I sometimes ride a Mission Sortie Black. It's as good as any of the other systems climbing and descending provided that you have the appropriate shock setup (and a quality and properly valved shock like an RP23 for the type of suspension). Most complaints about suspension performance is from improper setup...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The Knucklebox bikes have very well tuned wheel rates and low leverage ratios which make them have more perceived travel than they actually have. I would say the knucklebox design is very underrated for how good it works. The low center of gravity of the bikes makes them feel very stable and helps give loads of traction in corners and in rough terrain. I have ridden the Mission and Sortie. The one drawback is they feel a little more active during climbing compared to a platform design like dw or vpp.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ......"The one drawback is they feel a little more active during climbing compared to a platform design like dw or vpp."......

Thank you!!!
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by skeered1 View Post
    ......"The one drawback is they feel a little more active during climbing compared to a platform design like dw or vpp."......

Thank you!!!
    Yes, that's the one drawback I've noticed. I need propedal especially when I really get on the pedals and my seat is low (no dropper).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012