mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Crossmax ST or other wheelset?

Hey all working on getting a wheelset for the '11 M2 and wanted your thoughts. I know many are running the Crossmax ST's and the Havens which look sick but my local shop wants around $750 installed for the Crossmax. Wondering if I can get a much better custom build for that price? If I had my choice I want blue hubs (Hope/King), blue nipples with black spokes and be able to ride them anywhere in the US.
    Also, since I'm still running the stock Fox 32 150mm (from my '08 M2 )for now I need to go with the 9mm qr and then once I get my fork go with the 15/20mm. I finally got this thing dialed in and my riding buddies have been inspired to get back on there 26rs because I am smoking them on the dh's on there 3000$ fs 29ers time to get faster with the wheelset and tubeless

Thanks
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

Singletrack Slayer
    Wow.. $750 installed for the Crossmax! You can buy a new ST wheelset for ~$600 online new. Hell I'd sell you mine for 550 JK . I would personally get a I9 wheelset~$1000-1200, That's the only thing I'd want on my M4. But for $800 budget I'd get King hubs, Black DT 14g spokes 32 hole Stan's Flow rim or Mavic Mavic XM 819 UST Rim or other mavic rim u like IMO, Front hub can go to any axle size 9,15,20mm
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

Let the good times roll.
    Hadley + Stans Flow + DT Supercomps

That's what I plan to do (self-built). The rear is already done, and I love it! All the parts should cost under $700 when I'm done. Using brass spokes with stronger spokes would drop the price a bit more.

If money was no object, I'd get Crossmax SX or I9s.

If hub engagement wasn't an issue, I'd get Havens, Ringle Chargers, or stick with the Hope/Flows I had before.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I found '11 Crossmax's ST online for 450 shipped.....hmmmmmm????????? I think I'm gonna take the bait
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Took the bait, 450 shipped! I guess I will save my custom wheelset for my Mission Pro build....oh wait....I'm still building this one! I've been reading from other users these wheels needs basic maintenance regularly to keep them running right, but nothing major
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus

bab74 on GORC

Let the good times roll.
    Nice find!

Singletrack Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiba Inu's Rock View Post
    Took the bait, 450 shipped! I guess I will save my custom wheelset for my Mission Pro build....oh wait....I'm still building this one! I've been reading from other users these wheels needs basic maintenance regularly to keep them running right, but nothing major
    Simple maintaince, check spokes for tension, IMO rarely needed after break in, Always chech the bearings for play, really easy with the Mavic tool to do on the trail side with the little tools. Every couple of months clean the freehub body proper. Put fresh mineral oil or 3n1 oil, Not all that bad and really easy to take rear hub apart, 2 mins!
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    merry xmas to me! It's funny now that I have it dialed in I found I'm riding the M2 more than my 29er. I'll get pics up of both soon!
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Be curious to see what it weighs after the new wheels and tubeless. It sits at 31lbs right now with all the parts from my '08 minus new...

Havoc carbon (730mm)
    Thompson 90mm stem and seatost
    Chromag Lynx DT saddle

I see how easy it is to become obsessed about upgrading components....so crank and shifters are next before summer. Wanna do a 1x10 like my 29er. Merry Xmas all thanks for the input and the UPS man is the real santa claus
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus

bab74 on GORC

Appalachian Highlander
    I just put some Sun-Ringle Black Flag Pros on my '08 Sortie 3 and dropped it from 30.5 pounds to 28.2 pounds! The engagement is killer, too. Man, it's like a new bike....

Let the good times roll.
    What's the engagement? I thought all the Sun Ringle hubs were 24 point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Definitely gonna run tubeless on the new wheels but gonna try some Maxxis for now instead of my Nevegal 2.3 (no complaints). May try the 2.25 Ardent in back but unsure about front tire or might try Neile's set up or try high rollers 2.3 all the way around.
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh View Post
    What's the engagement? I thought all the Sun Ringle hubs were 24 point.
    I have the charger pro wheel set which i believe uses the same hub and i love the engagement.