Thread: cracked frame!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

cracked frame!

Noticed on my last ride my 2010 mission 1 frame is starting to crack at the weld where the top tube and down tube meet the head tube.

I slightly modified the frame by cutting the top of seat tube down 3/4" so I dont know about warranty? I can see them saying its modified and doing nothing but at the same time the seat tube has NOTHING to do with where its cracking. Worth taking the bike in and being without it for awhile to see if DB will warranty it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Pictures please. And yes its worth a shot to warranty it, the worst they can say is no.
    Diamondback Mission 4
    Cannondale: Perp, SuperSix
    Tomac Buckshot SS
    BMC Speedfox

Butts Up Fast!
    Always worth a shot for warranty, what was the reason to cut the seat tube?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonebreaker View Post
    Always worth a shot for warranty, what was the reason to cut the seat tube?
    Most wont agree with the reasoning on here Im guessing since I brought it up in the frame building section months ago before I did it and everyone said buy a new frame but I didnt want to for several reasons, but long story short the seat was just plain too high for aggressive riding. So I cut the seat tube down and that extra inch made a world of difference.

Tried to take a pic last night but my phone (only camera I have) wouldnt focus well enough to see it. It actually looks like the down tube is pulling away from the weld vs an actual crack but you can see stress marks in the paint around the joint. I dont know, think Ill just keep a very close eye on it for now. Maybe take it to the lbs and see what they think.
    Last edited by onemission; 08-28-2012 at 08:45 AM.