Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

A crack on my 2009 Recoil!!! This will be the 2nd time,

5K views 53 replies 9 participants last post by  saxen 
#1 · (Edited)
So within one year another crack!!! Same type of crack on the same spot just on the other side of the swing arm, I'm not liking this!!!!!:madman: :madmax:
I like my bike, I got a Fox Talas 32 fork, & for the rear I got the Fox Flot RP2, & just last month I got a full RaceFace overhaul on the bike, stem, seat post, handle bar, crank all RaceFace DeusXC & Shimano PD-M647, ( I got all the parts on ebay for grate deals) I love the way my bike rides. Now this happens to me!!!!
Why is this happing to me? I'm from Brooklyn NY so I don't get to do a lot of MTB trails, 90% of my riding is to got to work & back home,
So DB is going to tell me that my Recoil can't handle that (some NYC streets) ???? They better not!!!!!

I will go to my LBS tomorrow, they are a grate shop, I still have my 1 year warranty,
But I hope DB will take care of it & send me a new swing arm.

( The red in the picture is where the crack is, this is an old picture from the 1st crack )

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I pm'd you. FWIW I think the piece where the crack is is not doing anything to strengthen the swing arm. 1st it's curved sheet metal and will straighten when put under tension. Repeated cycles of tension and release will fatigue the metal and it will fail. 2nd it's curved sheet metal and is not contributing much if anything to stiffening the joint. I say just ride it, it's what I'm doing right now.

#4 ·
So I went to my LBS today

So I went to my LBS today where I got the bike from, & they also dont know why this is happening to me, they did call DB I think they will send in a new swing arm, but will this happen agen a 3rd time? & if it will then im done with this bike. but I dont have the $$ to spend on a new frame or bike ( my wife will kill me ) :madmax:

#5 ·
If its not a new/changed design, yes it will crack again. Mine cracked in 4 months and my friend's, whom I convinced to buy one also(good price), cracked 2 rides after mine. We got new swing arms in route but I'm sure they will crack again for the reasons I've mentioned.

The question I have is, as little stiffness as these parts add to the swing arm, are they even necessary at all? Conversely, there is obviously flex occurring in that area. When will the joint at the pivot bearing bracket fail without gussets? I think I will probably have to ask a friend of mine, who owns a aerospace fabrication shop, to make me some stiff gussets and weld them in. (till I get a Mission or....)

#8 ·
Well the Recoil & the Recoil Comp is on there wedsite,

h82crash said:
I think the market was aimed at weekenders. Its at the box stores and absent from th DB website. Definitely better than a Walmart bike but only a little.
Well the Recoil & the Recoil Comp is on there wedsite, but that is the only bike you can buy on there website, I should have got a DB Shortie.

#10 ·
Yes, you should have gotten the Sortie. The Recoil is the low end full suspension model for DB. I just think they lacked putting more information ie: Not intended for heavy use.

I would just get the new frame and put back or leave the current components on it and sell it in your area and looking into a more durable DB full suspension model, again, like the Sortie.

GL!!

#11 ·
Blksocks said:
Yes, you should have gotten the Sortie. The Recoil is the low end full suspension model for DB. I just think they lacked putting more information ie: Not intended for heavy use.

I would just get the new frame and put back or leave the current components on it and sell it in your area and looking into a more durable DB full suspension model, again, like the Sortie.

GL!!
Well with all the upgrades that I got done on it, I got a Fox Talas 32 fork, & for the rear I got the Fox Flot RP2, & a full RaceFace overhaul on the bike, stem, seat post, handle bar, crank all RaceFace DeusXC & Shimano PD-M647, all new parts from ebay, what price can I get for it????? $1000 or more???

#12 ·
arielDB said:
I should have got a DB Shortie.
lol. They should call it that...

You will get more money by selling the parts individually. Do you still have the original components? If you do, put it all back on and sell the bike to a college student or something. Then get a new frame and put on all the upgraded parts. Or sell the parts also and use the money to get a complete bike.

Whatever you do, I don't recommend selling an entry level frame like yours with all the high end parts on it. Most people who care about having those parts will want a nicer frame. Most people interested in that frame won't care if they have a Suntour or Fox etc.

#15 ·
Mine is cracked in the same spot on the right side. I have been riding it like this for a month or so, it doesn't seem to make a difference. It is such a thin piece of metal, I don't really think it does anything. I talked to a local DB dealer and he wouldn't touch it, he said to call DB myself. Pretty ridiculous.

#16 ·
Please, please, don't dismiss a cracked frame! If you want to ride with it temporarily while you wait for a replacement instead of being unable to ride at all, fine. Just take it real easy and be extra attentive for any new cracks. But please make sure the swingarm gets replaced ASAP. If that area cracked in the first place, that obviously means some kind of stess was being applied on it. Now that it's broken, some other part of the frame has to take the extra force.

Desert Rat, did you get you bike at the shop you talked to? If yes, something is wrong with that shop. DB's policy is to have customers go through dealers to get warranty service. If not, try contacting wherever you bought your bike.

Even if not, I think the shop you spoke to should have at least helped you get a new frame regarless where you bought it. I know mine would. They will charge full labor, shipping, etc unless it's their bike, but they are willing to help anyone.

#17 ·
Well right now I dont want to spend more $$.

Well right now I dont want to spend more $$ at all on a new frame or bike, (my wife will kill me) I did learn my lesson I shoud have got a AM bike and spend more then $575, some thing like $1000 or $1500, but for now I still like the Recoil, I just want it to stop cracking on me & ill be happey with it. my 2nd bike will be in the price range of $1000 or $1500.

#18 ·
So what's going on with the frame now? Have you at least gotten confirmation that DB is sending out a new swingarm for you? That would at least give you some time figure out what to do. Maybe you can find someone who will buy your Recoil for a good price.

You don't have to spend $1000+ on your next bike if you already have parts you like. If you can sell your rear shock for $150 (not an unreasonable price for an RP2) and the frame for another $100, you'll be about 2/3 on the way to a brand new On One HT frame. Add on labor and whatever new components are needed for compatibitily issues, and you shouldn't end up paying more than a few hundred out of pocket to get a nice AM-worthy bike. I really do think a steel hardtail is your best bet for now now in interest of keeping cost down and getting a bike that will work great for commuting as well as trail riding.

Let me put it this way: if I happened to live in a place where I did more commuting than trail riding, I'd buy an On One Inbred 456 or Transition TransAm. I'm not saying that to be pushy. I'm just sharing my opinion as the owner of a pretty sweet AM full suspension rig. I carefully upgraded it to give me the best possible performance for aggressive AM and light freeriding, and I feel like I pretty much succeeded. I definitely pay the price for that off road performance every time I commute though. I don't mind too much because I really like my bike (and use it to its full potential often enough), but it's a simple fact that I'm slower on the road and even on non-technical trails than I would be on a lighter bike with less or no travel. I had the chance to ride someone's Trans AM once, and that bike was a blast to play with on the trail, especially going down.

Anyways, good luck with your frame. I hope you find a solution that you (and your wife:)) are happy with soon.

#22 ·
Well its going to be 2 weeks now &.............

Well its going to be 2 weeks now & I still don't have my new swingarm, im still riding the bike every day to work & back home, when I crank hard to gain speed there is a cliking/craking noise, ( the same noise that I had on the 1st crack that I had ), I did see that the head tube on the 2010 Recoil is bigger I wander in the 2010 frame is stronger then the 2009 frame. :confused:

#23 · (Edited)
My friend called DB and they said the Recoil and Recoil Comp are not intended for aggressive XC. Mild XC, stressing mild. Going off a curb is beyond it's intended design. While this may be true, I think it would be a hard sale if any customer knew this about a "mountain bike" they were going to lay down a grand on. Seems like some deception to me. Wouldn't it just be easier to redesign the swing arm to withstand an 8" drop, than keeping the limitations a secret from the bike shop and replacing swing arms?

#24 ·
That frame is strong enough for XC trial. What it is intended for, Not big drops. :nono:
The 2010 frame is almost a completely different frame. I would say it is probably stronger.

The Comp is a good starting FS bike for a newb, the Recoil stock is just a wanna be mtb bike, light trail use and park pathway kind of bike. Lots of guys buy the Recoil to ride on the street! I always tell people that it is not built for a reg trails riding, esp hard stuff. I mean do you think a sub 600 dollar FS bike is going to hold up, no.

#25 ·
I'm glad you tell people that because that is what DB told my friend and I. Maybe the 2010 is different but the DB rep said the Comp is just upgraded components and should be ridden the same as the Recoil.

P.S. If I bought my bike from Sports Authority I would have been shanked for $750+tax for the FS. And if I just wanted to ride around with the kids $129 at K-Mart would have done that.

#26 ·
True but the recoil has has much better quality components than walmart junk, shifters, drivetrain and frame quality, wheels and disc brakes and at least somewhat of a functional fork vs walmart. But at Dick's the Recoil is 550 and comp 850 for 2010. The Comp is just so much more bike wise that is a good way to get into riding and enjoy benefits of supsension that can be tuned. For trail riding the Comp is a great starter and hard to beat for the price (msrp is $1,000). I would rather have a hardtail for that price like the recoil comp which goes for $700 at Dick's. That is a good starter for serious trail rider IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.