mtbr member
    Mar 2010

covert 3x9 to 1x9???

Was looking at a cheap alternative to loosing some weight for my '11 M2 and was wondering?

When going to a 1x do they just remove the two smaller cogs and keep your largest cog with your cassette?

Is it better to just buy a newer better 1x crank to go with my current stock cassette or go to a 1x10?

Our mountains are no near what they are on the east and west coast but the 29er I was looking at (Spec EVO 29r HT 1x9 ($2300) OR Transition TA 29er (specs???) coming out soon) for a my 29r but wanted to make the DB my fs bomber. My fitness will have to catch up but I usually don't ride in the smallest front cog.

Still waiting to transfer parts, gotta exchange my chromag stem. The blue doesn't match the bike's blue and still need a really good saddle.

HAVE:
    Easton Havoc DH bar (carbon trimmed to 720mm)
    Chromag Ranger stem 70mm
    Thompson Elite seatpost w/Hope qr

WANTS:
    Fox 36 Van
    Wheels
    Avid Cr's
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

Let the good times roll.
    No, you'll want to remove the little and big chainrings. The middle chainring should be replaced with a single speed model (to get rid of the shifting ramps). Pick whatever size will work best for your terrain. Probably around 34 or 36T. New chainring bolts may also be needed. You'll also need some system to keep the chain in place. MRP, E13, and Blackspire all make good models. Just get whatever matches your budget and intended use. I'm planning to get a E13 LG1+ when I upgrade to 1x10.

You don't need new cranks. the middle ring on 3 rings cranks and the big ring on 2 ring cranks is in exactly the right spot.

The only reason to get a 10 speed cassette now is if you need the added flexibility of a 11-36T range. Otherwise, you could just wait until some part of your current drivetain (shifter, RD, or cassette) needs to be replaced anyways.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i really want to do a 1x9 setup on my reaponse....never really use the small and big on the crank.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Right on!
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

Butts Up Fast!
    1x9 really improved my fitness. plus it gave me a spot on my handlebars for my future post dropper remote.