mtbr member

Couple upgrades on my mission, made a huge difference

I recently upgraded a few parts on my 2010 Mission 1. The wheels definitely needed an upgrade since the stock wheels were cheap and very heavy. I ended getting Hope Pro Evo 2's laced to Mavic 721's. So far, I love them! They are much lighter and stronger, rides so much better. Makes my mission feel like a completely different beast. I felt the stock handlebars we much too narrow for an all mountain bike at 670mm so I got a Answer Protaper 720mm bar and that added a lot more control to the front end. Lastly, I upgraded the stock cheap cranks to some Truvativ Hussefelts and wellgo pedals. At the same time these upgrades were done I decided to service the forks and rear shock. The forks got some enduro seals since the SKF seals I bought leaked horribly for the 2 weeks I had them, and the rear shock got a simple sleeve service. I have had my mission 1 for 1.5 years but being the bottom of the mission line, it could definitely use upgrades over time. However, out of the box for the price and performance nothing else out there comes close. I have enjoyed it from day one! Love this thing more every time I ride it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Looks nice! I used to have a mission and it was a really fun bike. I am running the same wheels as you and they have held up great. I run them tubeless (highly recommended).

Depending on your budget, I would also HIGHLY recommend ditching that fork for a 20mm axle fork, preferably 160mm. If you ride hard, you will notice instantly how much of a noodle that 32mm QR fork is. Also, ditch the RP23 as for a monarch or monarch plus. The RP23 is a piece of junk. Its so wallowy/mushy on that frame, the monarch plus is incredible.

My mission was set up with a lyrik solo air RC2DH and an monarch plus RC3 and if I didnt switch to a Knolly (dream bike) I would still be happily rocking the mission. Underrated bike for sure. Have fun!

mtbr member
    I already run these wheels tubeless with the stans kit, helps keep the rotating mass down. No flats yet, at least until I slice a sidewall. A fork upgrade is planned for the future but for right now I am running a 9mm thru axle in the front and it stiffened it up quite a bit. As for switching to rockshox, I had that crap on my last two bikes and needless to say, I'm not going that route again. I love fox shox and my rp23 functions flawlessly. As with all suspension, it must be set up properly.

mtbr member
    Love it- real nice looking ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Wow...what a dream bike.

This will be my next bike.