Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Costco sells diamondback?

12K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  nath69 
#1 ·
So why buy at a bike shop? Or at Dick's? Do they also sell in Wal-Mart for less?

#4 ·
Yup here we go.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:incazzato: :incazzato: :crazy: :crazy: Do you understand the difference between a bike shop and deptartment store ; Bikes shops and Dick's provide service after the sale. Depends on who is running the show;)
Take your bike bike to Costco and ask for a tuneup, or warranty parts:lol: :lol: :lol:

#5 ·
Sadly, Diamondback is sold exclusivly in BigW (our version of Walmart/Costco) stores in Australia now.

Nothing personal, but the sales staff in these stores could not identify parts on these bikes and I would not even trust the bike has been assembled correctly. The number of bikes I see on the floor of these stores with the forks and/or handlebars on incorrectly defies belief.

Fortunatly I have an excellent LBS with great staff that you would not get from BigW.

Shame on DB for allowing this to happen! We have Focus bikes here I guess who now sell their version of the Sortie and Mission but at premium retail prices.

#9 ·
nath69 said:
Hi David

There must be some affiliation, same name, same bikes. Who would be the parent or controlling arm? DBUSA, DBUK, Raleigh or Derby cycles?

This is the Australian site.
http://www.diamondback.com.au/
NOPE, do some research....Raleigh America owns DB in USA, the US and UK slpit a long time ago.... DB UK is part of Raleigh UK, DB for Aussie is Pacific Cycles:p

Wow, in 20 seconds I got this off of the DB site from Aussie site...

DIAMONDBACK BIKES ARE EXCLUSIVELY DISTRIBUTED BY:
Pacific Brands Leisure & Fitness
A Division of Pacific Brands Sport & Leisure PTY LTD
ABN: 53 098 742 708
47-67 Westgate Drive, Altona North, Victoria, 3025
PO BOX 490, Altona Victoria 3018

Customer Service
Freecall: 1800 333 054
Fax: 03 9369 2999
Email: customer.service@pacbrands.com.au

#10 ·
As a DB owner I am forced to admit that not everything with a DB logo on it is any good. Diamondback has two good full suspension frames right now: the mission/goat frame and the sortie. The response frame and overdrive frame are entry level. I don't know much about the road or street stuff, but almost everything else is only just above walmart, or on par with it.
The bikes on the Aussie site are clearly connected with the US stuff, but not the good frames. That is a knuckle box bell crank on the one, that is a recoil frame.

What I want to know is how are these bikes affiliated with DB:
http://www.focus-bikes.com/us/en_us.../subcategory/enduro-2/model/project-20-7.html

That is a mission frame all the way.

#11 ·
I used to sell DBs... yeah they make some lower stuff the outlook, sorrento ect.... But i think all manufactures make lower end stuff.. Lets face it not everyone wants to spend 1500+ on a bicycle. So DB needs to diversify, and fund projects some how. Maybe back in there hay-day DBR and sponsor racers, they would not be able to get away with it. As far as Department stores go. Yeah i would not buy a bike from wal-mart, but i and you know better not too. For the people who dont have mountain biking as a life style, they could really give two shits who built it and where its from, its like her Johnny, a new bike, it will be collecting dust in the garage when he turns 16.

In NY i don't see any DBs in "department stores". Dicks is pretty much a department store that sells sporting goods. They really don't carry high end stuff, just stuff that sells quick(DBX). But i can only speak for the stores in NY, at least they have a "bike department" with someone who kinda knows what he is doing, and is responsible for the bikes. The guy at costco or wal-mart might be the janitor/bike tech

#13 ·
DavidNeiles said:
DIAMONDBACK BIKES ARE EXCLUSIVELY DISTRIBUTED BY:
Pacific Brands Leisure & Fitness
A Division of Pacific Brands Sport & Leisure PTY LTD
[/email]
Key work here is "distributed". The Pacific Brands area sales rep informs me they have no financial or corporate interest in Diamondback, Raleigh or Derby. Pacific Brands also import and distribute Malvern Star and Repco bikes in Australia.

I still love my Mission though and may have to buy a new one from the USA and ask my sister to bring it back early this year.

Cheers

#14 ·
taletotell said:
As a DB owner I am forced to admit that not everything with a DB logo on it is any good. Diamondback has two good full suspension frames right now: the mission/goat frame and the sortie. The response frame and overdrive frame are entry level. I don't know much about the road or street stuff, but almost everything else is only just above walmart, or on par with it.
The bikes on the Aussie site are clearly connected with the US stuff, but not the good frames. That is a knuckle box bell crank on the one, that is a recoil frame.

What I want to know is how are these bikes affiliated with DB:
http://www.focus-bikes.com/us/en_us.../subcategory/enduro-2/model/project-20-7.html

That is a mission frame all the way.
It is. Focus bought design and DB lincesed it. To them. DB in house design by Mark Landstaat..

#16 ·
taletotell said:
Have you even looked at the Diamondback catalog or website? The Response frame is not entry level. The frame itself is very light and I know because I built one up and I was surprised how light the frame was and the total bike build got down to ~25 lbs. The Response frame is made by Kinesis Pro which makes a lot of companies frames in Both Taiwan and China factory. The Bikes are welded in Taiwan and shipped to China for parts assembly, Thats why most bike now a days, even Specialized, come out of the box with a made in China sticker. Because most of the bike was assembled there.

#20 ·
bballboy388 said:
David just because you think the response frame is good doesn't mean the response isn't a entry level bike. I would personally classify any hardtail in the 900 dollar and less range entry level.
Oh and for most people looking to buy "entry level" bike on average want to spend less then 1k for sure. The average "avid" cyclist spends around $1500~$3000 on a bike,. I would really say IMO that the Response Sport and MSRP of $550 is a good "entry level" bike. Can be found for $450-$500 range. Lots of company have great "entry level" bike for ~$500-$800. ;)

#23 ·
DavidNeiles said:
Oh and for most people looking to buy "entry level" bike on average want to spend less then 1k for sure. The average "avid" cyclist spends around $1500~$3000 on a bike,. I would really say IMO that the Response Sport and MSRP of $550 is a good "entry level" bike. Can be found for $450-$500 range. Lots of company have great "entry level" bike for ~$500-$800. ;)
I used to have a complete topanga comp (now just stripped to frame and collecting dust), and a 01 or 02 Apex...the apex was a pretty sweet bike...wish i still had it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.